Winter Storm of 2010



This is what closed all the area schools yesterday, including the university. Those little random patches of white stuff. Welcome to the south, my friends. lol

But you know, leading up to Wednesday night, the meteorologists all predicted that we were in for a huge ice storm--as much as two inches!!! According to them, a front was moving in overnight Wednesday night and we could expect a layer of ice followed by snow. And in a region unfamiliar with such a thing, safety was a big issue. The university made the decision Wednesday night to cancel classes and close the university on Thursday since a large percentage of their staff (including moi) commute to campus from as much as 45 minutes to an hour.

Mass hysteria broke out around town and everyone and their brother rushed to the grocery store to stock up on bread, milk and food that didn't have to be cooked. Because, you know, we're usually trapped without electricity for a few days whenever an ice storm hits. And you know who was also in Kroger buying bread and sandwich meat and Pringles? (Pringles aren't officially on the list of ice storm emergency foods, but I don't drink milk.) Yep. I went and stocked up. Spent just over ten dollars on emergency food and my claustrophobic self waded through droves of jostling people and buggies and braved the self-checkout lines because they were moving fastest.

Sis2 sent Goofus out for milk and stuff and he got one of the four remaining gallons of milk at around eight o'clock Wednesday night. He said the bread section was just about as bare. hehehe

Again, welcome to the south.

When I woke up yesterday morning, I raced to the window, threw back the curtain and...and...'nuthin. Checked the local TV station and we were still closed. So I went back to bed and slept for another hour. It wasn't until about eight o'clock yesterday morning that it finally started sleeting. And it did sleet pretty gol darn hard for a long time. Then it turned to snow and it snowed hard for about an hour. And then...nothin'. It just got colder and the wind picked up and carried most of the snow away and we had to come back to work today.

(On a side note, I finally got my Christmas tree down and put away.)

Yesterday, during the big "winter storm" that never was the temps were just below freezing at a balmy 32. Today? Ugh. Today the temps have been in the teens all day. It was a mere fifteen degrees when I got up this morning with a wind chill of five. FIVE!!!

You know what I'm wearing today?? Tights. Under my slacks I'm wearing a pair of thick black tights. Or I guess you could call them leggings. Whatever. I hate them. My bare lovin' little southern legs just don't know what to do with themselves. Tights!!! Ugh. But my legs have been toasty warm all day. And you know what else? I'm wearing a thick wool sweater. And over that? A thick wool sweater hoodie. And I'm still a tad chilly in this freakishly cold building.

Supposed to get down to nine degrees tonight. NINE. DEGREES.

Anyone got Mother Nature's phone number? I'd like to register a complaint.

At least she could have sent us snow.

Hmph.

Comments

Jenfs said…
I think it's 4 degrees outside now with about 6 inches of snow. But I can't complain too much, there is very little wind. And when there's no wind and you wear super heavy coats and warm boots/gloves/hat. It's not too bad. Just have to have the clothes for it. :) Enjoy you're days off though!
Heather said…
Seriously, you do not want to know what the temps were here over the weekend. We had minus temps at night much of the last week, and about another 6-7 inches of snow Thursday. Today...heat wave! It was 25F! LOL...
Jana said…
It was in the upper 30's yesterday and I shed my coat and gloves so fast!! It felt like SUMMER! hehehehe

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today