Strange What You Remember

So Friday night during Ghost Whisperer, I gave myself a pedicure. Well, I didn't paint or shape my toe nails. I just soaked my feet and scraped the junk off. (Ewe. Right?)

Something you may not know about me (and could probably live happily never knowing...oh well!) is that I have horrible feet. Callouses on my toes and heels, cracked heels--you know those commercials for the Ped Egg when they show really nasty feet? Yeah. Mine are WAY worse. Something about the way I walk (I'm flat footed) makes my big toe on my right foot grow a callous the size of Montana if I'm not dilligent in keeping it scraped.

And yeah, I realize this is gross, but bare with me. I do have a point.

So anyway, while I was scraping my feet, I had another Paw-Paw memory. Weird, right? LOL But most of the things I recall the easiest about him are weird. We're a strange family, what can I say?

Anyway, back a couple of years ago before he got so sick, we were sitting in church chatting like usual before the sermon. It was summer so I was wearing my cute little strappy kitten heels sandals. And this may come as a shock to you, but I'm not always terribly diligent in keeping my feet from looking nasty. I mean, you know, all that soaking and scraping and moisturizing takes a lot of work. And I'm used to my gross feet anyway so I hardly notice them. But I guess not everyone is as oblvious to them.

So anyway, while we were chatting, I cross my right leg over my left knee so that my right foot is visible to Paw-Paw. (Not on purpose. Just trying to get comfortable! lol) Suddenly, he stops mid sentence, points to my foot, snickers and says, "You know, you should probably take a Brillo pad to that thing."  I giggled, only mildly embarrassed. This was Paw-Paw, after all. I was more-so embarrassed by the fact that I hadn't noticed how nasty my feet had gotten. (They're terrible enough in winter, but truly AWFUL in summer.)

And that's the memory. Totally out of left field, nothing deep or profound. Just one of those everyday things that I miss. Yeah. I miss him pointing out that my feet are so nasty that they need a Brillo pad to shape 'em up. But that was me and Paw-Paw and I love that I can still hear his voice when I think about that incident. Still hear the guff of laughter. Still see the teasing look on his face.

And sometimes I'm even still surprised when I walk into the church on Sunday mornings and he's not in his usual spot--even though it had been a year or more before he passed since he'd been able to attend. I guess I just won't ever get used to him not being here. But that's okay.  I like remembering him, recalling odd little snippets of conversations. I'm glad that I miss him because it means that I loved him and he loved me enough to make a positive impression on my life.

I like knowing that he still exists in my heart and in my mind. Because that way, it's like he never left.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today