Who Do You Turn To?

As part of my job in Special Collections, I read newspapers. I know, cushy job right? lol I read them to mark articles for clippings to go in our vertical files. Most of the papers I read are at least three to four months old and more often than not, I learn old news that was once big news that I missed when it was new. You know, because I don't watch the news nor do I read it when I'm not on the clock.

Anyway, I came across this article in the Vicksburg Post titled "Ask an Atheist" about the growing number of clubs on college campuses who support atheists and try to spread the word of atheistism. Now, I'm not going to get into preaching about how those groups shouldn't be allowed on campuses. They have as much right to exist as any group or club does. I only bring it up at all because the very thought of atheism makes me sad. And confuses me.

Sad because the article stated that the percentage of young adults who do not believe in nor practice any sort of religion is climbing. And also because all these people who no longer believe were probably turned off by some religious fanatic, or a hypocrit in their church--meaning, Christians probably turned them off of the very thing God wants us to turn them onto! Or, as has happened to many, some tragedy has occurred in their lives that turned them away from God and they've yet to come to understand how much He does love them.

But the thing that makes me saddest about it is knowing that those souls are lost and bound for hell. They have no clue what God is really all about. They've either never experienced His Grace or lived in His precence or they have and they just didn't recognize it for what it was. And that makes my heart ache for them.

I'm confused because I don't understand how one goes through life without God. Even if you don't believe in the One True God, our Heavenly Father--how do you live without any sort of god? I'm not advocating finding any ol' religion (I hate that word, btw) just to have someone to serve. My deepest desire is for everyone to come to know Jesus. My point is...who do you turn to if you don't have God? Who comforts you when you're sad or lonely? Who gives you strength and guidance? Who do you talk to when no one else will listen? I can't imagine how sad and lost I'd be if I didn't have Him to go to. If I couldn't talk to Him throughout the day or if I couldn't count on Him to always care and listen and give me strength.

By no means is the life of a Christian any easier than that of an atheist or even someone of another faith. Life is hard. Period. God never said it would be easy. But if you don't have a spiritual life, who do you turn to at the end of the day to say "Thanks?" Who do you give your tears and heartaches to? Who feels your joy and your sorrow as intensly as you do?

The article said they turn more to meditation and science and logic. They find comfort in nature.

That just sounds so lonely to me.

And God knows that I am not perfect. I am far from it. I'd never even attempt to say that I am. There are things in my life that I'm ashamed of. Behaviors that I know sadden Him. Let's be honest here--There is sin in my life. It is only by God's unfailing Grace that I am forgiven.  I can only pray that those who say there is no God will one day find Him...before it's too late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today