Foodie
Ya'll, I tried something last night that was just...yum.
Have ya'll ever tried Tilapia? I'd tried it in restaurants a couple of times before and liked it fairly well. My mother made it one Sunday and it was okay--although Daddy didn't like it. And, well, if you don't like fish, you won't like it. Which is weird, because he TOTALLY likes fish. He's just odd.
So anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I was reading a blog on Sparkpeople.com and this woman who'd lost a significant amount of weight kept talking Tilapia and it seems that's pretty much all she eats. It kinda got me curious about Tiliapia. Maybe not quite for weightloss efforts--although it'd be nice to get addicted to something that's both good for you and low in fat and calories.
When I was grocery shopping Friday night I went looking for some. And ya'll? Fish ain't cheap! But, I lucked up on some individually packaged frozen filets for less than $5. I think there was like 8 in the bag. Not bad, considering that it'll last me several weeks. So I got it. I love individually wrapped and frozen anything. Makes cooking for one so much easier.
Having never cooked fish before, I wasn't quite certain what to do with it so I looked around on the 'net for a few recipe's and found a couple that sounded simple enough. I'm saving the coconut crusted recipe for later when I'm feeling more ambitious. So I tried the other.
Of course, being me, I modified it a bit. It was lemon garlic and I made it lemon pepper.
Ya'll...it was YUM.
Light and flaky without a strong fish flavor. It tasted very fresh. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough. I cooked one filet and paired it with a salad. When supper was over I felt as though I hadn't eaten. Maybe next time I'll do TWO filets. At 100 calories a pop, they won't kill me.
If anybody cares, here's how I did it:
Pre-heat to 375 and spray a baking dish with nonstick spray (I used butter spray and a glass baking dish). Rinse filet and pat dry with a paper towel. Drizzle the filet with fresh lemon juice (I used about 3 Tbsp) and a Tbsp. of melted butter. Sprinkle with lemon zest, lemon pepper and one minced garlic clove. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
YUM! And so easy!
No. I'm not turning into a food blog. I just got excited to find something new, easy and delicous. :-D
Have ya'll ever tried Tilapia? I'd tried it in restaurants a couple of times before and liked it fairly well. My mother made it one Sunday and it was okay--although Daddy didn't like it. And, well, if you don't like fish, you won't like it. Which is weird, because he TOTALLY likes fish. He's just odd.
So anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I was reading a blog on Sparkpeople.com and this woman who'd lost a significant amount of weight kept talking Tilapia and it seems that's pretty much all she eats. It kinda got me curious about Tiliapia. Maybe not quite for weightloss efforts--although it'd be nice to get addicted to something that's both good for you and low in fat and calories.
When I was grocery shopping Friday night I went looking for some. And ya'll? Fish ain't cheap! But, I lucked up on some individually packaged frozen filets for less than $5. I think there was like 8 in the bag. Not bad, considering that it'll last me several weeks. So I got it. I love individually wrapped and frozen anything. Makes cooking for one so much easier.
Having never cooked fish before, I wasn't quite certain what to do with it so I looked around on the 'net for a few recipe's and found a couple that sounded simple enough. I'm saving the coconut crusted recipe for later when I'm feeling more ambitious. So I tried the other.
Of course, being me, I modified it a bit. It was lemon garlic and I made it lemon pepper.
Ya'll...it was YUM.
Light and flaky without a strong fish flavor. It tasted very fresh. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough. I cooked one filet and paired it with a salad. When supper was over I felt as though I hadn't eaten. Maybe next time I'll do TWO filets. At 100 calories a pop, they won't kill me.
If anybody cares, here's how I did it:
Pre-heat to 375 and spray a baking dish with nonstick spray (I used butter spray and a glass baking dish). Rinse filet and pat dry with a paper towel. Drizzle the filet with fresh lemon juice (I used about 3 Tbsp) and a Tbsp. of melted butter. Sprinkle with lemon zest, lemon pepper and one minced garlic clove. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
YUM! And so easy!
No. I'm not turning into a food blog. I just got excited to find something new, easy and delicous. :-D
Comments