Hazard Pay
I should totally be equipped with a hard hat and steel toed boots for this book shifting project I'm currently undertaking. I've got books flying at my head and feet almost daily. Yesterday it was a set of two coffee table sized two inch thick books on the Battle of Vicksburg that nearly took off a toe. Fortunately I have good enough reflexes to get out of the way. This morning it was a four inch thick tome on General Sherman that flew off the top shelf and aimed itself right at my face. Again, good reflexes saved me. But one day, I fear, I'm not gonna be so lucky.
I wonder if workman's comp covers being attacked by an angry dead librarian's ghost...
In other hazardous news, a man type person who normally pretends I don't exist actually stopped and spoke more than three sentences to me while I was working in the stacks yesterday. Of course I was not overly quick with any whitty responses and in fact may have babbled incoherantly and/or replied with something less than intelligent. Now, this is not to mean that I like this man type person. He's somewhat a buttface. So no, it isn't as though I was overwhelmed with omigosh he's talking to me *squee* so much as I was, "What the crap? What's he want that he's talkin' to me? And darn why can't I ever think of any pithy remarks when I could really use them?" Sort of makes me a little argh-y that I can't ever seem to snub him (or whoever) back when an honest to goodness opportunity presents itself. I can think of all manner of zippy/snappy responses when I'm talking to snotty folks in my head. But face to face? Not so much. WTG me. *rolls eyes*
And also, there's a two feet wide section of flooring on the first floor hallway outside the staff lounge that must have gotten a tad overwaxed. For the past three days I've nearly had my feet go out from under me in a very potentially awkward knee cap popping way. Not good for a girl with already iffy knees. I finally remembered to avoid that portion of the hallway this morning only to nearly be taken out by the ladies' room door that opened outward into the hallway just as I came even to it. :-/
I'm thinking the library has taken on a life of it's own and has decided to kill me. If you don't hear from me again, you'll know it has succeeded.
It was nice knowing you.
I wonder if workman's comp covers being attacked by an angry dead librarian's ghost...
In other hazardous news, a man type person who normally pretends I don't exist actually stopped and spoke more than three sentences to me while I was working in the stacks yesterday. Of course I was not overly quick with any whitty responses and in fact may have babbled incoherantly and/or replied with something less than intelligent. Now, this is not to mean that I like this man type person. He's somewhat a buttface. So no, it isn't as though I was overwhelmed with omigosh he's talking to me *squee* so much as I was, "What the crap? What's he want that he's talkin' to me? And darn why can't I ever think of any pithy remarks when I could really use them?" Sort of makes me a little argh-y that I can't ever seem to snub him (or whoever) back when an honest to goodness opportunity presents itself. I can think of all manner of zippy/snappy responses when I'm talking to snotty folks in my head. But face to face? Not so much. WTG me. *rolls eyes*
And also, there's a two feet wide section of flooring on the first floor hallway outside the staff lounge that must have gotten a tad overwaxed. For the past three days I've nearly had my feet go out from under me in a very potentially awkward knee cap popping way. Not good for a girl with already iffy knees. I finally remembered to avoid that portion of the hallway this morning only to nearly be taken out by the ladies' room door that opened outward into the hallway just as I came even to it. :-/
I'm thinking the library has taken on a life of it's own and has decided to kill me. If you don't hear from me again, you'll know it has succeeded.
It was nice knowing you.
Comments