Weekend Review
Or, "I was attacked by a chihuahua and survived to tell the tale."
Friday marked my eighth Staff Appreciation Day (SAD) at work. The yearly event where all of us lowely staff are allowed to let our hair down, get sunburned and eat BBQ and ice cream until the supplies run out. Only this year, they didn't give us Cokes or Snow Cones so we felt undervalued and insulted. And it was around 90-95 degrees out so we were all hot, sweaty and stinky. It was mildly fun, anyway. Mostly it was just nice not to be chained to my desk or locked away in the stacks buried under a pile of books!
Once the "party" was over, Mama and I took off an hour and a half early and went to run errands. Meaning, she needed to make her fifth stop at Kroger for the week. I had her drop me off at Lowe's (its in the same shopping center) and I terrorized the staff there for about thirty minutes while waiting on her. And by terrorized, I mean I walked around sporting this weird melting facepaint (left over from SAD) and didn't buy a single thing. I'm mean. I actually did pick up the last to white ledge shelves they had on sale but put them back. I think Lowe's has gotten enough of my money for a while.
After we were done, we picked up Lyssa and headed home. She was finally allowed to spend the night with Nana after three weeks of asking. That girl was estatic! lol
I don't think I told ya'll this, but BFF drove up from SC Thursday to spend Mother's Day weekend with her mom. I didn't hear from her Thursday night but I figured I would at some point before the weekend was over. So Friday night, I came in, showered off the sweat and stink (and melted face paint), put my pj's on and ate supper. At 6:30 BFF and her mom showed up at the house! Granted, she'd tried calling from her cell but couldn't get service. They were coming back from town and had decided last minute that they wanted to come over, see the house and invite me for supper.
I gave them the grand tour but politely declined supper. Partly because I was truly exhausted from all the heat and sweat of the day but also because I was a little bit dreading any supper invitations. I knew it would come at some point while she was visiting. And I love to visit with her--don't get me wrong, but supper invites...not so much. They never eat until nearly 9pm so I'm usually starving to death waiting and then the visit extends past midnight. Which was fine when I was 22. At 31? Um, no.
Instead, I promised her I'd come over the next day and visit for a little while. She seemed fine with it and understood about the heat exhaustion. I felt bad about declining, though. I hadn't seen her since September so I know she was anxious to get together and talk. And since she was sans hubby (sleazoid) this trip, we would have gotten a really good long talk in.
Instead, I enjoyed spazzing out at home with GW and Medium with only the DP to entertain. And since my bones felt like liquid and my skin was still tingly from all the sun exposure, I hardly moved from my chair.
Saturday morning I got up bright and early, got my groceries and came home. And since I was planning on hosting Mother's Day lunch at my house, I got busy cleaning. I swept, mopped, dusted and cleaned the kitchen all before 9am. Yes. Because when I say I got up bright and early, I mean I got up at 5:45 am, got my shopping done in 30 minutes and was home by 7. I sat down just long enough to eat breakfast and snuggle the DP before I was up again and out the door. I wanted to see Lyssa before Mama had to take her home.
I didn't get to visit with her long, though. They were already dressed and getting ready to leave when I got there. But I did get to walk around the yard with her while we were waiting for Nana to get her crap together and get the car loaded. We went down to the kennel to see Sugar, Daddy's yellow Lab. While we were there, we befriended a frog and Lyssa giggled and chased it until he hopped off into the woods.
After they left, I went on to BFF's mom's house and here's where the attack story comes into play.
BFF's mom has this little chihuahua named Brownie. Can't weigh more than five lbs. Cute little thing. But vicious! When her grandmother opened the door to come out and greet me, he shot outside and flew straight at my ankles--which he proceeded to bite until grandma came out and shooed him away. And ya'll, I was wearing capris. The ONE TIME I wasn't wearing jeans. Oy. It hurt like a sonofabiscuit. My left ankle even bled quite a bit. BFF had to get the peroxide and bandaids out. LOL Of course they all felt so bad about it that I tried to make light of it. No drama queen antics, yanno.
They ended up having to put a muzzle on him, though, because he kept growling and snarling at me. And ya'll, I felt so bad about that. I'm such a softy when it comes to pooches that it near about broke my heart to see him all pitiful in his muzzle.
But, what I want to know is...if he's badass enough that they own a muzzle, why in the heck didn't they put it on the little beast BEFORE they let him outside to attack me! :-D
Anyway, they were all still in their pj's and eating breakfast when I got there...at 10am! lol I guess I'm so used to getting up and moving early on Saturday mornings that I forget that some people like to sleep in and be lazy on Saturday's. I've forgotten what that's like as I haven't slept past seven on a Saturday since I was in high school. My parents are early (and noisy!) risers, too, so even when I was in college and living at home I'd be up fairly early.
It's a darn good thing BFF's family considers me family, too. lol
She and I sat at the table and talked for three hours, her still in her pj's. As much as she sometimes annoys me at times, it is nice to still have a friend I can talk with for three hours straight--about anything and everything. And it was REALLY nice to not hafta deal with Sleazoid. Apparently I won't have to deal with him for a long time because he and BFF's mom had a bit of a falling out and he's said he's never coming back to MS. Hallelujah! :-D
I left around 1:30 and instead of going straight home like I should have, I drove into town for some lunch. I probably wouldn't have except that I forgot to get anything for lunch while I was grocery shopping and honestly, I really didn't have anything to eat. So I went to Sonic. I know, bad Jana! But it was delicious and not terribly expensive so I'm writing it off as a special treat and moving on.
The rest of the day and evening was spent finishing up cleaning and stuff.
Sunday I got up early and was at Mama's by 9:30 to do the whole Mother's Day gift giving thing. Sis1 and her gang had spent the night there and Sis2 and the kids were already there when I got there. Mama got a kick out of her "Mama Repair Kit."
Church went okay, I guess. Uncle R was the guest preacher for the week and he brought a good sermon. He just surrendered to preach a few months ago so he's still new to it. Which brings us to having four preachers in the family--three uncles and Paw-Paw H. :-) Paw-Paw H. said his prayer has always been that all of his sons would become ministers. And, well, he's got three down and two to go!
After church everyone eventually ended up at my house. Daddy grilled the burgers at their house and brought them over because I don't have a grill yet.
Ya'll...*sigh* I've probably said this before but I'll say it again because I apparently forgot...I hate hosting things at my house! It's so stressful because Mama takes over everything, wrecks my kitchen (while criticizing it's tiny stature), I get kind of run roughshod in my own home and somehow revert to being 12. *sigh*
I don't know why I let myself do this. I always have this stupid picture in my head of how lovely it will be to have everyone in my home. I always fool myself into thinking that everything will go smoothly and I'll enjoy it. But I don't. Not really. I usually end up super annoyed with Mama and wishing I'd never offered up my home to my own family.
If I were allowed to be a hostess in my own home there'd be some much less chaos. So fewer hurt feelings. I know where things are in my kitchen, I have a pretty good sense of organization and I'm not nearly as dumb as I apparently look. But nooooo. Mama blows in bringing chaos with her, makes a mess out of the house I spent hours the previous day working on--takes credit for MY decorating skills--and gets huffy with me if I dare move or change something that she's set up. And worse, this time she made a big obnoxious deal out of it to everyone. And then could not for the life of her understand why I got upset and nearly cried.
Ugh.
I swear, if I didn't love my family so much I'd quit them. lol
Anyway, once everyone finally left, I cleaned up the mess and Libby and I vegged on the couch for the rest of the night. I was so tired I even forgot to set the recorder for Army Wives.
So that was my weekend. The Good, the Bad and the Bloody Ankles. Hope ya'lls was better.
Friday marked my eighth Staff Appreciation Day (SAD) at work. The yearly event where all of us lowely staff are allowed to let our hair down, get sunburned and eat BBQ and ice cream until the supplies run out. Only this year, they didn't give us Cokes or Snow Cones so we felt undervalued and insulted. And it was around 90-95 degrees out so we were all hot, sweaty and stinky. It was mildly fun, anyway. Mostly it was just nice not to be chained to my desk or locked away in the stacks buried under a pile of books!
Once the "party" was over, Mama and I took off an hour and a half early and went to run errands. Meaning, she needed to make her fifth stop at Kroger for the week. I had her drop me off at Lowe's (its in the same shopping center) and I terrorized the staff there for about thirty minutes while waiting on her. And by terrorized, I mean I walked around sporting this weird melting facepaint (left over from SAD) and didn't buy a single thing. I'm mean. I actually did pick up the last to white ledge shelves they had on sale but put them back. I think Lowe's has gotten enough of my money for a while.
After we were done, we picked up Lyssa and headed home. She was finally allowed to spend the night with Nana after three weeks of asking. That girl was estatic! lol
I don't think I told ya'll this, but BFF drove up from SC Thursday to spend Mother's Day weekend with her mom. I didn't hear from her Thursday night but I figured I would at some point before the weekend was over. So Friday night, I came in, showered off the sweat and stink (and melted face paint), put my pj's on and ate supper. At 6:30 BFF and her mom showed up at the house! Granted, she'd tried calling from her cell but couldn't get service. They were coming back from town and had decided last minute that they wanted to come over, see the house and invite me for supper.
I gave them the grand tour but politely declined supper. Partly because I was truly exhausted from all the heat and sweat of the day but also because I was a little bit dreading any supper invitations. I knew it would come at some point while she was visiting. And I love to visit with her--don't get me wrong, but supper invites...not so much. They never eat until nearly 9pm so I'm usually starving to death waiting and then the visit extends past midnight. Which was fine when I was 22. At 31? Um, no.
Instead, I promised her I'd come over the next day and visit for a little while. She seemed fine with it and understood about the heat exhaustion. I felt bad about declining, though. I hadn't seen her since September so I know she was anxious to get together and talk. And since she was sans hubby (sleazoid) this trip, we would have gotten a really good long talk in.
Instead, I enjoyed spazzing out at home with GW and Medium with only the DP to entertain. And since my bones felt like liquid and my skin was still tingly from all the sun exposure, I hardly moved from my chair.
Saturday morning I got up bright and early, got my groceries and came home. And since I was planning on hosting Mother's Day lunch at my house, I got busy cleaning. I swept, mopped, dusted and cleaned the kitchen all before 9am. Yes. Because when I say I got up bright and early, I mean I got up at 5:45 am, got my shopping done in 30 minutes and was home by 7. I sat down just long enough to eat breakfast and snuggle the DP before I was up again and out the door. I wanted to see Lyssa before Mama had to take her home.
I didn't get to visit with her long, though. They were already dressed and getting ready to leave when I got there. But I did get to walk around the yard with her while we were waiting for Nana to get her crap together and get the car loaded. We went down to the kennel to see Sugar, Daddy's yellow Lab. While we were there, we befriended a frog and Lyssa giggled and chased it until he hopped off into the woods.
After they left, I went on to BFF's mom's house and here's where the attack story comes into play.
BFF's mom has this little chihuahua named Brownie. Can't weigh more than five lbs. Cute little thing. But vicious! When her grandmother opened the door to come out and greet me, he shot outside and flew straight at my ankles--which he proceeded to bite until grandma came out and shooed him away. And ya'll, I was wearing capris. The ONE TIME I wasn't wearing jeans. Oy. It hurt like a sonofabiscuit. My left ankle even bled quite a bit. BFF had to get the peroxide and bandaids out. LOL Of course they all felt so bad about it that I tried to make light of it. No drama queen antics, yanno.
They ended up having to put a muzzle on him, though, because he kept growling and snarling at me. And ya'll, I felt so bad about that. I'm such a softy when it comes to pooches that it near about broke my heart to see him all pitiful in his muzzle.
But, what I want to know is...if he's badass enough that they own a muzzle, why in the heck didn't they put it on the little beast BEFORE they let him outside to attack me! :-D
Anyway, they were all still in their pj's and eating breakfast when I got there...at 10am! lol I guess I'm so used to getting up and moving early on Saturday mornings that I forget that some people like to sleep in and be lazy on Saturday's. I've forgotten what that's like as I haven't slept past seven on a Saturday since I was in high school. My parents are early (and noisy!) risers, too, so even when I was in college and living at home I'd be up fairly early.
It's a darn good thing BFF's family considers me family, too. lol
She and I sat at the table and talked for three hours, her still in her pj's. As much as she sometimes annoys me at times, it is nice to still have a friend I can talk with for three hours straight--about anything and everything. And it was REALLY nice to not hafta deal with Sleazoid. Apparently I won't have to deal with him for a long time because he and BFF's mom had a bit of a falling out and he's said he's never coming back to MS. Hallelujah! :-D
I left around 1:30 and instead of going straight home like I should have, I drove into town for some lunch. I probably wouldn't have except that I forgot to get anything for lunch while I was grocery shopping and honestly, I really didn't have anything to eat. So I went to Sonic. I know, bad Jana! But it was delicious and not terribly expensive so I'm writing it off as a special treat and moving on.
The rest of the day and evening was spent finishing up cleaning and stuff.
Sunday I got up early and was at Mama's by 9:30 to do the whole Mother's Day gift giving thing. Sis1 and her gang had spent the night there and Sis2 and the kids were already there when I got there. Mama got a kick out of her "Mama Repair Kit."
Church went okay, I guess. Uncle R was the guest preacher for the week and he brought a good sermon. He just surrendered to preach a few months ago so he's still new to it. Which brings us to having four preachers in the family--three uncles and Paw-Paw H. :-) Paw-Paw H. said his prayer has always been that all of his sons would become ministers. And, well, he's got three down and two to go!
After church everyone eventually ended up at my house. Daddy grilled the burgers at their house and brought them over because I don't have a grill yet.
Ya'll...*sigh* I've probably said this before but I'll say it again because I apparently forgot...I hate hosting things at my house! It's so stressful because Mama takes over everything, wrecks my kitchen (while criticizing it's tiny stature), I get kind of run roughshod in my own home and somehow revert to being 12. *sigh*
I don't know why I let myself do this. I always have this stupid picture in my head of how lovely it will be to have everyone in my home. I always fool myself into thinking that everything will go smoothly and I'll enjoy it. But I don't. Not really. I usually end up super annoyed with Mama and wishing I'd never offered up my home to my own family.
If I were allowed to be a hostess in my own home there'd be some much less chaos. So fewer hurt feelings. I know where things are in my kitchen, I have a pretty good sense of organization and I'm not nearly as dumb as I apparently look. But nooooo. Mama blows in bringing chaos with her, makes a mess out of the house I spent hours the previous day working on--takes credit for MY decorating skills--and gets huffy with me if I dare move or change something that she's set up. And worse, this time she made a big obnoxious deal out of it to everyone. And then could not for the life of her understand why I got upset and nearly cried.
Ugh.
I swear, if I didn't love my family so much I'd quit them. lol
Anyway, once everyone finally left, I cleaned up the mess and Libby and I vegged on the couch for the rest of the night. I was so tired I even forgot to set the recorder for Army Wives.
So that was my weekend. The Good, the Bad and the Bloody Ankles. Hope ya'lls was better.
Comments