Yikes!

Okay, just had a minor freakout moment. But...I think I'm okay now.

Sis1 emailed and said BIL was applying for a job in Portland, OR and was really hopeful in getting it.

FREAKOUT!!

But then she emailed me back and said they wouldn't hafta move and it's a long story she'll tell me later.

That girl really needs to learn not to give her baby sister heart attacks like that. LOL

You know, I know if they had to move for a job I'd hafta just suck it up and get over it. But...boy I wouldn't hafta like it and no one can make me. I cried for weeks MONTHS when they announced they were moving to T-Town...a mere 1.5 hours away. And yes, I know how ridiculous that sounds to a lot of people. But a lot people don't understand for squat.

Not only do I have a weird co-dependant friendship and insanely close relationship with both of my sisters, I also have a fierce mamabear love for Emmy (and Lyssa and Ethan, of course.). The thought of not being there--or at least a minute away--just freaks me out, breaks my heart, and causes all sorts of depressing behavior. That Emmy might grow up as distant from me as I grew up from most of my aunts and uncles...well, yeah. It's a dark thought for me.

When I was slightly older than Lyssa (about the age Emmy was when they moved to T-town) Mama's younger sister, Aunt S., basically lived with us for a long while. And even when she and her husband weren't living with us, they lived a mile down the road. Meaning, I saw her every day and loved her as much as I loved Mama. I depended on her. Adored her.

Then one day she and her husband up and moved to Texas and I didn't see her again until I was about 10. Needless to say, that relationship--for me--was gone. I didn't know her anymore. While I had vague memories of her, she was a stranger to me. And to this day, the odd occasions when she comes back to Mississippi, I still don't connect with her the way I did as a young child. I lost that bond when she moved so far away. She regrets it as much as I do. And I never want to have that regret with Emmy--with ANY of my babies.

Things worked out okay when they moved to T-town. I still get to see them all once or twice a month. Emmy gets to come spend whole weeks with us during Christmas and summer. She and I have maintained the bond we formed when she was a baby and all is right with the world. If they ever did move far, far away, I don't know what I'd do.

Comments

Aunt B said…
Jana, I TOTALLY understand your feelings.
Jana said…
Thanks, Aunt B. :)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today