Go Mama, It's Your Birthday

Yesterday was Mama's 57th birthday. Ya'll. My mama is FIFTY-SEVEN!!
And I distinctly remember when she was closer to the age I am now and how OLD I thought she was back then. lol

Fifty-seven is YOUNG!

:-D

So Saturday we all (except for Sis1 and Emmy) congregated at the folks' house for a "party." And I put party in quotes because we don't really have parties. We just look for excuses to make Daddy cook delicious things on the grill so that we can eat. We throw in cards and cakes just to make it look legit.

Since I have apparently lost my mind spending too much time on PW's Tastey Kitchen, I put myself in charge of making the desserts. I baked a chocolate pie(!) and a dozen mini-carrot cake cup cakes from scratch! (I used actual carrots and everything!) I've never made a cake from scratch. And never made a chocolate pie before either. I was sure they'd be total disasters. But everyone raved.

Wish I'd thought to take pictures. Instead, my camera was too taken with this guy.


Doncha just wanna give him a big ol' smooch? LOL

Anyway, back to the food, Sis2 and I went the easy route with the rest of the meal and got the potato salad and slaw from our favorite deli. Daddy cooked ribs and corn on the grill. Add Bush's baked beans and voila! You've got the makin's of one delicious feast.

But oy! was it hot out Saturday. I felt so bad for Daddy slaving out in the heat over that hot grill. Not bad enough to join him, mind you. Just bad enough that I was super sympathetic whenever he'd come in for a spell. ;-)

Everyone but Daddy took a brief break from partying to go over to my g-parents' house in Woodland for a quick visit. My cousin Mark and his family were in Mississippi for the weekend and were supposed to be over there around 10:30. Mark's mama--my aunt--called Mama Saturday morning with that bit of misinformation and said, "They said for ya'll to come over if  you want to see them."

Since we don't usually know they're in Mississippi until they're on their way back to Alabama, we decided, heck, we'll go see 'em. I haven't seen Mark in probably four years! I've seen his wife and two boys a few times since then, but he's always working or got better things to do.

So we trouped over there around twelve and do you know they didn't get there until one! Ugh. I wish now we hadn't bothered because it's obvious to me they don't really care if they see any of us or not. *pout* If I hadn't grown up with Mark and spent the first half of my life being buddies with him I wouldn't care. I hate it that we've all grown apart as we grew up.

Anyway, Mama, Alyssa and I left shortly after they got there. We needed to get back to the house to finish preparations for supper.

Once everyone got there (Sis2 and the rest of her crew, Aunt G and Granny) we partied until nearly nine. And by "partied" I mean, we ate ourselves sick and then sat around talking forever. Well, talking and playing with these guys.



Poor Milo!

Mama opened presents and we ate cake and pie and all was right with the world. Except, Lyssa kept blowing out the candle on Mama's cupcake. hehehehe

Sunday (Mama's actual birthday) Daddy treated Mama and me to lunch at Pizza Hut. After Saturday, nobody felt much like cooking. And heck, pizza's always a welcomed treat!

But ya'll...ugh, it was 99 degrees when we got to town and 102 when we left. Blech. Misery. It's about that outside right now.

Needless to say, when the folks dropped me off at my house, I put my tank top on and stayed in under the a/c for the rest of the day. (Try to get THAT image outta your head! bwahahahaha) It was nice. I read a book, finished the laundry and snuggled with the DP. Niiiice.

And now I'm for home. Later!

Comments

Heather said…
First, happy birthday to Mom. Sounds like she had a good weekend.

Second, thank you for correctly spelling and using the word "voila." You know that means a lot to me. *vbg*

I had pizza this weekend, too. Except mine was a superslice of sausage motherlode (five kinds of cheese!) from Rocky's. I don't splurge like this or even eat out much anymore, so you know how much it was enjoyed.

Ugh! on your weather. As wet and icky as it was here, I'll take 70, rainy and humid any day over temps of 100. Flowers wilt in such heat! *g*
Jana said…
LOL Sometimes I surprise even myself, Trix. ;-) Hilarious that I can spell voila and even hallelujah without much trouble but have to stop and think before spelling "awful". lol

Question for you, though, about "voila"...is the correct pronunciation with a "v" sound or a "w" sound? I've always used the "v" sound but have seen movies and stuff where they use the "w" sound. Or is it interchangable? I've always wondered...

Glad you enjoyed that superslice.It sounds amazing. Yum.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today