Where I've Been

Ya'll probably don't know this (because I got sneaky and scheduled my posts ahead of time) but I was on vacation all last week. Or, stay-cation, as the case may be. ;-) I meant to mention it before I left, but life is so nuts...

Since my supervisor is retiring at the end of this month (2.5 days from now!) I decided to squeeze in one last week off work before she leaves. Technically, I can still have personal leave after she's gone, but it'll be a big stretch and strain on the rest of the department if one of us is out for more than a day.

So anyway, I took the week off.

Started out kinda shaky. I think I thought I was cursed there for a minute. lol

The Saturday before Father's Day, I got a flat on my way home from cleaning the church. Thankfully, Daddy was nearby so I could call him to come change it for me. (Happy Father's Day, Daddy! Come change this flat!) I hated to bother him, though, because it was around 10:30am and hot as blazes out already. But he graciously let me interrupt his morning and came to rescue me. He didn't even really complain. God is good.

Then when I was doing laundry later that day the timer quit on my clothes dryer. I panicked for a minute because I couldn't get it to work at all at first. But after I fiddled with it a bit it finally at least cut on. I just have to remember to pay attention to it so that it doesn't fry my clothes! God is GREAT.

Sunday we took Daddy out for lunch for Father's Day and then went back to the folks' house for dessert. I'd made another chocolate pie. Mmm. The kids all played in the little pool most of the afternoon so those us that weren't carted outside to watch got to enjoy a quiet afternoon in the house.

So Monday, first official day of my vacation, I had to drive into Starkville on the donut to have my tire fixed. Thankfully I made it without mishap. I had to drive 45mph, though, and a drive that normally takes me 45 minutes took me and hour and fifteen minutes. But I made it! And thanks to the hazard warranty I'd bought with the new tires, I didn't have to pay to have the tire fixed. So I'm not complaining.

I also got to do a little shopping and ate lunch with Mrs. B, so it turned out to be a good day.

Tuesday started out good. Emmy (who has been staying at the folks' house since that weekend) and I spent the morning painting pottery at the pottery shop. She painted a pretty butterfly wall plaque and I painted a plate to put in Libby's room. We had fun. But then...*sigh*

We were on our way to meet Sis2 and the kids for lunch when we got rear-ended. It was kinda one of those head scratching things. Well, that, and the dude behind me was tailgating WAY too closely. I tapped on my breaks because the vehicle in front of me tapped on his breaks and the dude behind me just bumped right into me. Didn't hurt my car at all, though, that I can tell. It's wearing some silver paint on the back bumper, but otherwise appears to be fine. The dude that hit me, though, is gonna hafta have some work done on his hood and front fender.

Emmy FREAKED, though. I mean, you'd have thought she'd been slung from the car or something the way she was screaming and crying. I, of course, felt like mud. I wouldn't have really cared about getting hit except for the fact that it upset her so badly. She finally calmed down when the hottie fireman got there to check things out. ;-)

So we were all okay and everything got filed and done and it was all good. We even made it to lunch by 1pm. God is AMAZING.

Seriously, I was feeling a little put upon by that point, though. lol Between the tire, the dryer and then a fender bender? Sheesh, I was feeling super whiny. I realized even then how silly I was being. I mean, this kind of stuff happens. Worse stuff than this happens to people every day. Honestly, these little things were nothing in the grand scheme of things. I guess it was just the all happening at once thing that threw me.

But, I am fully aware of how blessed I am. Everything worked out fine, God took care of everything so that I was only mildly inconvenienced with all these little things and I needed to just suck it up, pull on my big girl panties and get on with it.

So that's what I did.

Sort of. I still feel a little uneasy, like I'm wondering what's going to hit me next. lol I'm paranoid driving now, for sure. On the way to work this morning I kept thinking I heard strange noises and was I about to have another blow out? Or am I about to be in for some major repairs on my car? Ya'll know how I am. I just had to talk to God all the way to work and do my best to trust that He'd continue to take care of me.

Anyway, the rest of the week went fine. Wednesday I stayed at home and vegged all day. I laid on the couch and watched TV and snacked all day. Thursday I took Libby to get her nails clipped and then we spent the afternoon at the folks' house visiting with Sis2 and the kids. Friday I went grocery shopping and vegged that afternoon. Saturday I cleaned the church again and spent the afternoon with Emmy at my house. We watched The Princess Frog and she played in my scrapbooking supplies. Normally, I wouldn't have wanted her to do that, but heck, it made her happy and hopefully earned me back some of the cool points I lost when we got rear-ended. lol

A storm blew through Saturday afternoon and the electricity went out. That was fun. Not. lol Didn't get electricity back until after 6pm. Fortunately the storm cooled the temps down so that it never got hot in the house. Once Emmy went back to the folks' house, I used the rest of that time with a book. Thank goodness for big windows that let in a lot of natural light. I read an entire Tara Taylor Quinn and part of another. It was great. :)

Sunday was church, lunch with the folks and then Emmy spent a few hours with me at my house again.

And now I'm back. And in utter chaos. With 2.5 days until my supervisor's gone everyone's throwing as much at me as they can so that I can take it all on. Happy days are up ahead. Blech.

We (my break buddies and I) took Mrs. B out to lunch today to celebrate her retirement. We went to Mugshots (a college town burger joint/bar). I think she enjoyed the meal and appreciated the sentiment. Sort of.

I sorta a little bit hate going out with some of these friends sometimes, though. You know, 'cause I'm a big girl. I like to eat. And when I go out to eat, I'm not entirely on board with the whole "being good" thing. I like to enjoy the money I'm spending on a nice meal. And all of these girls/women are all (or all pretend to be) "oh, I just can't eat the whole thing." Meaning, they cut their burgers in half and only ate half. I, on the other hand, ate the whole thing. And it was gooooood. At one point in my life, I'd have caved to peer pressure and followed their lead. At 31, I'm kinda over the whole peer pressure thing. But they were all like, "I can't believe you ate the entire thing. Aren't you miserable?" Nope. Only Mrs. B took up for me. She's never cared what or how much I eat. Never has commented on my eating habits. She loves me just as I am. The others, well, I like to think it's their immaturity that dictates them. hehehe

Now, I've got to go wrangle a student into doing my bidding. It hasn't been working so well so far. But I'm not giving up.

Comments

Heather said…
Whoa, Vi's head is really going to be spinning now -- I just got "yelled" at this morning for not telling her about an accident I was in two weeks ago. We were at the stop sign a few yards from my street. Traffic on the Frontage Rd has to yield to idiots flying off the Beltline HWY, and we had just witnessed a near-hit there when we were hit from behind by an inattentive driver.

Apparently she was so distracted by the almost-accident that she decided to cause one herself. Said she thought we had moved, even though there were still cars exiting the ramp in front of us. *Shakes head*

Luckily, no damage done to either vehicle, just a bent license plate on her car. But sheesh...she hit just hard enough to really jar me, which the neck did not appreciate. I ended up with a MAJOR migraine last weekend (19-20), but luckily have otherwise been okay. Not that "Mom" (AKA Viola) believes me.

Glad the rest of your vacation was pretty uneventful. And hey - they say bad things come in threes, so you should be able to relax. Hope you get the chance to check out some of the pics i posted while you were gone. ;)
Jana said…
Man, what IS it with these fender-benders? lol Glad yours was as uneventful as mine. Boo on the migrain, though. I had a terrible headache Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday. I think mine was more from the heat, though.

Anyway, it's good to be back. I sorta glanced through some of your pics yesterday in between tasks tossed at me. If I have time today, though, I'm definitely going back to get a better look. They all looked super cool. :)
Heather said…
I'd say we were both very lucky! No surprise you had a headache after the accident. I think mine was a combination of heat, humidity and delayed reaction from the accident. These things can have delayed onset of hours and even days, so I hope that if you or Emmy start hurting or having probs you'll get it checked out right away.

Good to have you back! *g*
JenFS said…
I'm glad you're ok and that you enjoyed your time off.
My family and I are leaving in a few weeks for Georgia/Florida to see my sis, who's 7 months pregnant! :)
Jana said…
Jen~That sounds awesome. I know you'll enjoy the visit. :) Have a safe trip!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today