Last Minute Fishin'
So ya'll all know I had big plans to spend Saturday at home doing whatever I wanted to do. Ya'll also know that life rarely ever follows any sort of expectation I have.
I did get the house cleaned up and all that done. My house is now minus about 5lbs of dog hair.(You think I kid but between what I swept up and what I vacuumed, the garbage can is almost FULL. lol) I dusted, I cleaned the kitchen, got all the laundry done, I rearranged some things and generally just wore myself out doing stuff around the house. I had just settled down to rest and watch Gilmore Girls on Soapnet when Sis2 called.
She and her crew were out visiting and they were at the folks' house. Come on over if I wanted to see them, she said.
Yeah. Because I'd ever turn down a chance to play with my babies. *snort*
So me and Libs loaded up in the car and drove the mile to the folks' house. Ya'll, we ended up going fishing. I haven't been fishing since March of 2009! And since it wasn't overly hot, Sis2 and Goofus wanted to go so we all loaded up and drove the 2ft down the road to the fishin' hole.
Ya'll remember the fishin' hole, right?
I did get the house cleaned up and all that done. My house is now minus about 5lbs of dog hair.(You think I kid but between what I swept up and what I vacuumed, the garbage can is almost FULL. lol) I dusted, I cleaned the kitchen, got all the laundry done, I rearranged some things and generally just wore myself out doing stuff around the house. I had just settled down to rest and watch Gilmore Girls on Soapnet when Sis2 called.
She and her crew were out visiting and they were at the folks' house. Come on over if I wanted to see them, she said.
Yeah. Because I'd ever turn down a chance to play with my babies. *snort*
So me and Libs loaded up in the car and drove the mile to the folks' house. Ya'll, we ended up going fishing. I haven't been fishing since March of 2009! And since it wasn't overly hot, Sis2 and Goofus wanted to go so we all loaded up and drove the 2ft down the road to the fishin' hole.
Ya'll remember the fishin' hole, right?
No sooner had we gotten there and Goofus cast Lyssa's line than she caught one. Seriously! Daddy was still unloading his own poles from his truck while Goofus helped Lyssa reel it in!
She was excited but pretty much wouldn't touch it. lol Girl after my own heart.
I didn't get to fish for a while because I was Lyssa's caster. She can't cast yet but she loves reeling. So I'd cast, hand her the pole, she'd tell me, "Gotta watch the cork!" and promptly reel in and hand me the pole to cast again. Lather rinse repeat two dozen times. lol
She did finally get tired of fishing, tossed her pole down and assigned herself the task of checking on everyone making sure we were all surviving the tough job of watching corks. And she was fascinated by the fish Bobo used as bait. He had a small perch he'd caught last year and frozen and he cut it in several sections to use for bait. She had to keep check on it to make sure it was okay, too.
Until she had to go potty. Then she and Nana walked (hurriedly!) back to the house and didn't come back until nearly time to pack up.
In the meantime, Ethan kept me entertained while I watched my cork.
Little monkey.
He held out through most of the fishing expedition before he started getting cranky. He and Sis2 ended up going back with Nana and Lyssa after they had come to check on us.
But not before Bobo hauled this nice piece of fishy flesh to shore!
A big ol' 7lb cat!
We used Ethan to judge his length...
Ethan didn't think that was terribly amusing, actually.
As for me, I caught nothing. I almost caught something but by the time I realized I had something messing with my hook and went to reel it in, it was already gone. I was too busy makin' faces at Ethan to worry with watching the silly cork.
And then there was the time Goofus nearly plunged into the water after a fish that got off his hook. And then Bobo nearly took a similar tumble chasing after a catfish almost as big as the one pictured. The line snapped just as he pulled it to shore and he went sliding down the bank after it. It got away. :( And then there was the other time Goofus nearly went headfirst into the water when the line broke on the basket they were putting the keepers in. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on the ready for any of these fun events.
Bobo, Goofus and I finally wrapped it up shortly after seven and headed back to the folks' house. The guys had fish to clean! While they did that, we got the kids fed and played with and talked about the guys behind their backs. ha! So it was fun.
Sunday it was boiling hot so naturally we put daddy out at the grill. He grilled up a feast of country style ribs, fresh corn on the cob and new potatoes. It was goooood.
So, question...
Am I the only one who hears a French accent when looking at a catfish??







Comments
Shoot...Now I have "Les Poisson" playing in my head. Thanks a lot, Jana! :-p~~
I don't know if it's the whiskers or what, but I just always imagine that if catfish could talk, they'd sound French! hehehehe