Fun with kids...
I'm a terrible aunt. I spent two precious afternoons with two of my precious babies (and by "my" I mean my sister's) and entirely forgot my camera one day and simply didn't dig it out of my purse the next day. And those are some CUTE kids, ya'll. And I'm not just biased because they're mine. They're just cute.
But they're also a bit of a handful and also fun to play with. Which explains how I forgot to dig my camera out of my purse yesterday to take any pictures. I was too busy having FUN with them (in between decorating/cleaning) to take the time to take photos. And besides, the most precious moments aren't ones you can capture on film (or digital files, as the case may be) anyway.
Moments like Tuesday after lunch. Sis2 was cleaning up the lunch dishes and Lyssa was standing in my chair doing her usual monkey routine while I soothed Ethan with his "I want more lunch and I'm ready for a nap but by George I don't want to go to bed" fussy routine. Lyssa accidentally knocked over my bottle of water soaking her, the chair and the floor. No biggie. It's just water. But once it was cleaned up she looks up at me with those big blue eyes and sweet face and says, "I sorry I spilt your water, Aunt Jana."
Now tell me...How cute is THAT?? *dabs eyes* She's just the sweetest little thing. What nearly three-year-old thinks to apologize for accidentally spilling something? Had my arms not been full of fussy boy I'd have given her a hug that lasted a month. lol
So yeah, the past two afternoons have been a glorious mix of cleaning, decorating, putting puzzles together, filling sippy cups with juice, borrowing my level from Lyssa (who was riding it like it was a horse), kissing boo boos, measuring and brainstorming creative ideas, cuddling an adorable sleepy boy, cries, whines, giggles and a few "well, crap"'s. (like theone time two three times the canvas I was attempting to hang with command strips fell off the wall. It bonked Lyssa on the head the second time.) (she didn't cry, btw. But she did make me fuss at that canvas. "Say, Don't fall on Lyssa, picture. Say, Be nice, picture." She's very into telling people to say stuff. "Say, stay on the wall, picture.")
It actually felt odd and unsettling to not leave work at 10 today and go back to their house. For real. When my shift on the reference desk ended I headed back to the workroom and it just felt so strange to not go gather my purse and sign out. I had to just force myself to go to break with my friends instead of leaving. Even sitting here now, I feel like I'm supposed to be somewhere else. (Which, actually, I am supposed to be somewhere else. I'm supposed to be in the stacks shifting books. Oops!)
And I don't know what would be worse...The crying and screaming fit Lyssa throws whenever I leave or if she didn't care at all. 'Cause ya'll, it breaks my heart to hafta leave her and have her so upset at my going. But I also secretly love it because it means she loves having me around as much as I love being around. I'd be disappointed if she didn't cry and throw a fit wanting me to stay. lol
I'm a twisted gal. I know.
Oh well.
But they're also a bit of a handful and also fun to play with. Which explains how I forgot to dig my camera out of my purse yesterday to take any pictures. I was too busy having FUN with them (in between decorating/cleaning) to take the time to take photos. And besides, the most precious moments aren't ones you can capture on film (or digital files, as the case may be) anyway.
Moments like Tuesday after lunch. Sis2 was cleaning up the lunch dishes and Lyssa was standing in my chair doing her usual monkey routine while I soothed Ethan with his "I want more lunch and I'm ready for a nap but by George I don't want to go to bed" fussy routine. Lyssa accidentally knocked over my bottle of water soaking her, the chair and the floor. No biggie. It's just water. But once it was cleaned up she looks up at me with those big blue eyes and sweet face and says, "I sorry I spilt your water, Aunt Jana."
Now tell me...How cute is THAT?? *dabs eyes* She's just the sweetest little thing. What nearly three-year-old thinks to apologize for accidentally spilling something? Had my arms not been full of fussy boy I'd have given her a hug that lasted a month. lol
So yeah, the past two afternoons have been a glorious mix of cleaning, decorating, putting puzzles together, filling sippy cups with juice, borrowing my level from Lyssa (who was riding it like it was a horse), kissing boo boos, measuring and brainstorming creative ideas, cuddling an adorable sleepy boy, cries, whines, giggles and a few "well, crap"'s. (like the
It actually felt odd and unsettling to not leave work at 10 today and go back to their house. For real. When my shift on the reference desk ended I headed back to the workroom and it just felt so strange to not go gather my purse and sign out. I had to just force myself to go to break with my friends instead of leaving. Even sitting here now, I feel like I'm supposed to be somewhere else. (Which, actually, I am supposed to be somewhere else. I'm supposed to be in the stacks shifting books. Oops!)
And I don't know what would be worse...The crying and screaming fit Lyssa throws whenever I leave or if she didn't care at all. 'Cause ya'll, it breaks my heart to hafta leave her and have her so upset at my going. But I also secretly love it because it means she loves having me around as much as I love being around. I'd be disappointed if she didn't cry and throw a fit wanting me to stay. lol
I'm a twisted gal. I know.
Oh well.
Comments