Pulling a Jana

Anyone else a Friends fan? If so, anyone remember the episode where Monica is at her parent's house (or dealing with her parents) and they refer to silly accidents or clumsy mistakes and stuff as "pulling a Monica?" Like losing a fake fingernail in the lasagna?

Well, I pulled plenty of Monicas this weekend. I'm surprised that my family doesn't refer to them as "Pulling a Jana." It started Friday afternoon when I was convinced that one of my student assistants had misplaced the shelf list drawer that I had been working on in the stacks. Either that or someone had hidden it to mess with me. I searched all over the department, questioned my colleagues, the other student assistants--even left the SA in question a frantic voice mail. (He's gone till after New Year's) I had even called myself checking the shelf list cabinet. Sure enough, there was an empty spot where a drawer should have been.  I was convinced that it was missing.

Then as I was standing in my cubical about to cry I looked down at the my work table and noticed the other shelf list drawer I've been working with. That's when it dawn on me that the hole in the shelf list cabinet was for the drawer on my desk and so the other drawer had been filed! Went back to the shelf list and pulled out the drawer I thought it might be and...Yep. That was it. Still had the card I'd left sticking out to mark my place.

Had to go back and tell colleagues and other student assistants of my folly. *sigh*

Then Saturday I came to the "city" to finish up my Christmas shopping and was going to go the four lane to get to my "home" town to pick up some stuff there. Now, I've never really been that round about way except coming from the opposite direction--from my "home" town to the "city." But I vaguely knew where it was so I felt sure I could find it.

The four lane is kind of like the interstate in that it connects all the small towns and you can drive it from one end of the state to the other. We mostly go this way to get to T-town. So  yeah, I felt pretty confident in what I was doing.

Except, I am apparently unable to comprehend most exit signs. It doesn't help that they don't really list my "home" town on any of the exits since the highway I needed to exit on is a tiny dot on the way to the much larger city of Tupelo. So the exit sign said, "Tupelo and Meridian" with a complicated sign that read that my town was next right. But I didn't put that together with the "Tupelo Meridian" sign until AFTER I passed it.

Which wouldn't be a big deal, except...there's no way to turn around and go back! Seriously, there are zero median crossings the entire length of that stretch. Probably not until you get into the other "city" which was another 30 minutes away.

Picture me frantic. I seriously did not want to go to the other "city" and kept praying I'd find another exit or a median crossing or something! I guess I drove another twenty minutes toward the other "city" before I got the bright idea to take the next exit, go over the overpass and then take that exit ramp back on to the four lane. I've never been so relieved to be backtracking in my LIFE. LOL

Meanwhile, I'm seriously considering writing to the Mississippi Department of Transportation to request they put some median crossing after each exit.

Needless to say, though, I did not share that little adventure with anyone in my family. They already think I'm loopy enough without proof.

From there the weekend went fine. I finally got the towels out of the dryer and got a couple of new loads washed and dried. (Although the darks I put in the dryer late yesterday afternoon are still in the dryer.) I got the Christmas decoration boxes put back in the storage room and finished wrapping all the presents.

I also ate an obscene amount of baklava (which I bought after I got to my "home" town to cope with all the trauma of missed exits.) and read a fabulous book. Seriously, Melissa Senate's The Love Goddess's Cooking School is the awesome. I read it Sunday afternoon and was sad when it ended because I wanted to keep reading.

It turned off terribly blustery cold yesterday so I stayed in. I didn't even go to church for the evening service. I'm so backslidden. Instead I stayed in and watched Eclipse which I finally received in the mail! (It's even better than I remembered!)

And that was my weekend in a nutshell.

Comments

Heather said…
Exit signs can be confusing. For example, coming into Madison from Milwaukee, you want the exit to "Chicago" to get to my house, though I am a good three hours north. Glad you had enough forsight to take the next exit and loop around to the other direction. We've done that a few times while traveling, lol.

So do you actually have all of your shopping done now? I need to hit the stores this weekend. *shudder* Still need to finish Christmas cards, too. Was supposed to do that over our snowy weekend, but found myself reading or watching movies and stitching instead.
Jana said…
Yes! I'm 99.9% done with my shopping. lol I've still got to pick up one little thing for Daddy and I'm done. I got him a polo shirt at JCPenny's but I want to get him another one with the university logo on it. I saw one at one of the bookstores last week when we went Gatorbowl sweatshirt shopping for Goofus but I didn't have the money then. So I'll probably stop on the way home one night after payday and pick one up. It's black with a maroon "M" on the right of the chest. Very tasteful. :)
Heather said…
Sounds like a nice shirt -- I'm sure he will appreciate it!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today