Wondergirl Christmas Shopper

Surprise! Here on a Saturday. Yay me.

:-/

My last Saturday to work this semester, so I shouldn't complain. And I've only got an hour and a half left to work.

One good thing about working today, though, is that it afforded me the opportunity to come into the "city" to do some Christmas shopping. You can't find much in the way of gifts in my little tiny town so I've been wanting to do some shopping in the larger town where I work. Just, the price of gas is off putting in making an extra 45 minute trip. But since I had to be over here for work anyway, I just went ahead and got up early and got to the superWmart early.

Well, I went to Lowe's first. I had the idea that I might convert my old coffee table into a desk or work table  but it needs higher legs. Went to Lowe's because I knew they sold things like that. And sure enough, they had some that were identical to the ones that are on the coffee table now, only table/desk height. Would be perfect. However, each leg costs nearly $18. So I decide to wait and think on it. Look around and price already built desks/tables to see if that might be a cheaper option than spending a little over $70 on legs. And then painting the thing.

I'm thinking on moving some things around in the house, though, because I really do need a desk in Libby's room. Granny gave me some recording equipment that belonged to  Paw-Paw Joe and currently it's stacked in a corner in Libby's room for lack of anywhere to set it up. I thought I might move the two bookcases on that one wall and put them in the entryway of the house and set a desk up in Libby's room with the recording equipment. But desks are expensive, especially larger ones. I just thought the coffee table top would be an excellent width and length to accommodate. And it wouldn't be your standard square desk. It'd look more like a console table and all girly. *shrugs* (Plus, I'd like to try my hands at some DIY after reading some recent posts on Bower Power  and Young House Love ) So I may go back someday and splurge. But with Christmas spending right now it's probably prudent that I hold that thought.

So anyway, back to Christmas shopping. I know it probably sounds all redneck to do most of your Christmas shopping at Wallyworld but  I'm half redneck and I love Wallyworld. (Early in the morning when it isn't crowded.)

I found Emmy a beginners art box. It's a nice wooden box filled with paints, brushes, pencils, pallets, spatulas, and all sort of neat stuff. Also got her a couple of canvases to work on. She's very into art these days and actually has a fair bit of talent with it.

I got Efan a toy. It's got a couple of animals with wheels for feet and a ramp you roll them down. I figured that was very boyish. Boys like to roll things down ramps, right? (What do I know of buying toys for boys??)

I searched high and low for a Crayola Color Me a Song for Lyssa. Couldn't find one anywhere, despite the website saying that that particular store had it. *sigh* So I ordered it on-line when I got to work. She loves to draw and color and loves music so I figured this would be a surefire hit with her and had my heart set on getting it for her.

Got Sis1 a *blech* Kenny Chesney CD. I don't know if she has it already but it's his newest one so maybe she doesn't. And she LOVES Kenny Chesney as much as I dislove him.  She asked for a couple of DVD's but I couldn't find any of them in the store.

So, with those and having bought Goofus's and Sis2's last week, that leaves me with only three family gifts to buy. I'm sending Sis1 a check to order BIL's (from a hobby catalog where he buys his model airplane stuff). I'm thinking about getting Daddy the DVD The Expendables because it's like an action star buffet. And Daddy loves action flicks and all the dudes in the movie.  But I received it from Netflix the other day and thought I might watch it with him tomorrow. If he's super psyched after watching it, I might go ahead and buy him a copy. Though he rarely ever remembers to watch DVD's. So it might be a waste of money. *shrug* I'm just at a loss for anything else he might enjoy.

Mama...I haven't the first idea what to get her. She's the hardest to shop for. She can't read too often due to her neck problem. (Can't keep her head straight and trying to keep it still to read is painful for her.) She used to do books on tape/CD but now headphones irritate her neck muscles for some reason. So books are not an option. She doesn't really have a craft specific hobby. She's not into decorating her house. Doesn't bake much anymore. The only thing she's said she really wants is her oven repaired. But that's WAY outta my price range. lol When I ask her if there's anything in particular she'd like to have she always says, "You don't have to buy  me anything." Which she always says. One of these years I'm gonna take her to heart and not get her anything and see what she says.

I'm thinking of asking my friends at work if we can forgo the gift exchange this year. I'll still bake them some sausage balls and maybe some oyster crackers but we're all living on tighter budgets this year. So the whole "gift" thing we could probably all do without.

Need to get BFF a little something. Not sure what, though. I usually get her a book that I've particularly enjoyed and think she will too. But this year I haven't read any that I think she'd like. Our tastes in books normally run in completely opposite directions. She likes really dark, gritty hard to read books. I like light and bright Crusie-esque romance novels. Or cozy mysteries. Somehow I can't see BFF reading a Crusie novel or one of the Jennie Bently DIY mysteries.

Come to think of it, though, there's an RDI that I read several years ago that she might like. I'll hafta see if it's still available on eHarlequin or Amazon. It has a rather dark and twisty theme and it's about two completely opposite best friends. I'd get her Jen Weiner's Best Friends Forever but I think she said she stopped reading Weiner after Goodnight Nobody. She hated it. I think it's the best Weiner ever.

So, how's everyone else's Christmas shopping going? I'm actually really surprised that I'm as far done as I am. Usually I'm ordering things on Amazon until the very last "deliver by Christmas" date. One year I did all my shopping on-line. And spent a bazillion dollars because it's super duper easy to spend with plastic when you don't even have to actually swipe your card. This year I'm trying to be frugal. So I'm trying not to order too much on-line, instead buying in-store and with cash.  And whereas I usually try to spend equally on everyone, this year, so long as I know it's something they like and would enjoy, if one costs $10 and another costs $20, I'm not sweating it too much. Just not going over $20 on anyone. Well, no one other than Emmy. And I only spent that much on her because I didn't spend very much on her mama's CD. But again, it's something they both will enjoy.

Comments

Heather said…
Wow, someone is just about ready for Christmas! I am feeling woefully unprepared this year. I'm trying to make as much stuff as I can, though I will have to buy something for Payton. Any chance the sisters might pool some money to get Mom's oven fixed? It sounds like something she might appreciate and not expect.
Heather said…
Ack! Meant to ask... You said you BFF liked grittier thrillers/mysteries. Have you heard of Jordan Dane? She has a couple good trilogies out. I also like Karen Rose, Lisa Gardner, Lisa Scottoline, Kay Hooper--to name a few.
Jana said…
We've dicussed going in together to get Mama's oven repaired. Even discussed the prospect of just buying her a new one--but we're all financially strapped. Some of us moreso than others but strapped, none-the-less. An old friend of theirs promised way before Thanksgiving to come by and have a look at it but never heard back from him. *shrugs*

Haven't heard of Jordan Dane. I've seen some of the other names on your reading lists but never read of of their stuff. I may have to check 'em out.
Heather said…
I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of organization you/they could apply to for help in getting it repaired or replaced. Something to look into?

As for Jordan Dane, she is a relatively "new" author, but sold her first three books all at once, and they were published a month apart. Her second, more recent series was spread out over the last two years, the third one having just been released in Aug (it's on my Christmas list, LOL).

I won her first book, NO ONE HEARD HER SCREAM, a couple years ago and was immediately hooked. I've even seen all but the most recent one in used book stores. The books are:

No One series:
No One Heard Her Scream (Mar 2008)
No One Left to Tell (Apr 2008)
No One Lives Forever (May 2008)

Sweet Justice series:
Evil Without a Face (Feb 2009)
The Wrong Side of Dead (Nov 2009)
Echo of Violence (Aug 2010)
JenFS said…
I was trying to find a desk for my daughter's room. A writing desk, not a computer desk and they are EXPENSIVE. It was going to be a christmas present because of the price, but then I found one in the newspaper of all places for $35 and it's solid, unpainted wood and older looking. Beautiful to me. She loves it! Anyway, just a thought to check your local newspaper or craigslist. I've done it a few times now, for a rocking bench for outside and a treadmill. Great finds! Good luck. :)
Heather said…
Too bad there are so many states between us, Jana -- I have an ugly pink desk I'd like to sell. The color is my sister's doing. My freshman year in college, she decided to paint our bedroom -- of all colors -- pink, and with the leftover paint she also did an old, scarred, buff-colored desk. Except she did not seal it. I haven't the motivation or money to put into refurbishing it, but I bet with your mad decorating skills, you'd make it look snazzy in no time. Hmm...sure you don't want to come play in the snow some weekend? :-D

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today