Whew!
It's been a busy little while. Keeping up with training new students as well as first of the year projects is killing me. Seriously. I'm planning my funeral. No carnations, please.
I did enjoy my long weekend, though. I got a lot done on Saturday that needed doing. Including cleaning up my filthy disgusting kitchen. I don't know what happened to me last week but apparently whatever it was dictated that no dishes be washed. Hence my kitchen was a disaster by Saturday. I'd have taken pictures of it but I was too ashamed.
I also picked the Devil Pup up a little Post-Christmas present. Because she needed a little treat, yanno.
Actually, she looks terrorized. But I'm gonna go with she liked it and that the pink bow was her favorite part.
So after I finishedterrorizing dressing the DP, I got busy doing other things in the house. Like, removing the door to the master bath.
It may be a controversial issue in the land of homeowners but I hated that door. It had a way of reaching out and smacking me in the arm with it's knob during nearly every late night trip I made. And yes. I fully blame the door. It had nothing to do with me stumbling to the bathroom at 2AM. It's all the door's fault.
Plus, the door blocked half the window in there. Whoever designed the house apparently didn't thing about that when they put the door there. Or the window. I choose to think the door was the poor planning though.
With it gone there's lots of extra light during the day AND no more bruised arms. At least, no more bruised arms from that particular door. I reason the lack of door won't be an issue because I live alone. (No hubby to be modest with.) It's not as though I ever shut that door anyway. In fact, I think it's only ever been closed once in the year and a half I've lived there. That one time was the one and only time Emmy spent the night with me just after I moved in. She got scared in the middle of the night and crawled in the bed with me so when I got up the next morning to shower, I closed that door so as not to disturb her. Or, you know, frighten her. And since I doubt Emmy ever intends on spending the night with me (She says my house is creepy at night. Probably from the ghost that's followed me around since I lived in the lakehouse.) I highly doubt I'll ever need to close it again.
On the rare occasions that Sis1 spends the night with me I merely close my bedroom door and have all the privacy I want.
I have some plans for that door now, actually. Plans that may not ever be carried out but plans, nonetheless. I've seen several home bloggers using hollow core (interior) doors to make desks. All I'd have to do is attach some parson style legs and paint it. Easy peasy. And parson style legs are MUCH cheaper than the legs I'd priced to re-leg the coffee table.
My only concern with doing that is, if I ever decide to rehang a door in the bathroom, I'll have to buy a new one. The only reason I'd ever do that, though, is if I should ever sell the house or acquire a hubby. Both of which seem highly unlikely at this point in my life. And should either of those events occur, I'll probably have bigger concerns than having a bathroom door.
But, enough about my stupid bathroom door. Ya'll are all like, "Huh? What the crap is she yammering on about a bathroom door for. Like we care."
At least that's what the DP's response was when I was talking to her about it.
She's so sweet, right?
My next project was to hang a picture. I know! Big news, right?? Someone quick! Give the girl a prize!
hehe
I'd been waffling about it for a while, though. Big decision, hanging a picture. I just wasn't sure if it'd even make sense to hang this particular picture in the kitchen.
I have three different framed cross stitch pieces that a former pastor's wife did for me back when I was a wee little girl. This particular one is dated 1984. And I loved this particular pastor's wife. She was my Sunday School teacher back then and I just adored her so I wanted to put them up somewhere. I just have had trouble figuring out where to put them.
I felt like that area between the counter and the cabinet needed something that didn't take up any counter space, it being so severely lacking in my kitchen. It's not kitchen themed or food themed but I like this piece and the wood tone on the frame almost matches the wood tone of the other framed piece I have hanging in the kitchen. So I went ahead and took the plunge and just did it.
Cute, right?
And while I had my camera out, I got silly and made some Roma tomato art.
I've only ever used that butterfly dish once or twice so it was just languishing in the china cabinet. And those tomatoes were just dying to dress up my counter. Of course, three of them have since gone on to be withJesus my sandwiches so the dish is looking a little sad right now.
Anyway, after I finished being silly with the camera and put all my tools away--not to mention cleaning up my filthy disgusting kitchen (which is already pretty gross once more)--I settled in with a good book, the remote and the DP for the rest of the day.
Sunday was pretty much the usual stuff. Church, lunch with the folks, hanging out with Daddy, church and Desperate Housewives.
I spent MLK day at home doing absolutely nothing more strenuous than turning the pages of yet another book. It was a delicious day off.
But then, of course, I had to come back to work yesterday and I worked my bootay off. (I wish! I could totally use less bootay!) And today I decided to steal some time to bore ya'll with bathroom doors, kitchen art and bizar photos of tomatoes. Aren't ya'll so glad?
Alas, it is now time for lunch so I will leave ya'll in peace. :-D
I did enjoy my long weekend, though. I got a lot done on Saturday that needed doing. Including cleaning up my filthy disgusting kitchen. I don't know what happened to me last week but apparently whatever it was dictated that no dishes be washed. Hence my kitchen was a disaster by Saturday. I'd have taken pictures of it but I was too ashamed.
I also picked the Devil Pup up a little Post-Christmas present. Because she needed a little treat, yanno.
I think she liked it. It's very girly.
So after I finished
It may be a controversial issue in the land of homeowners but I hated that door. It had a way of reaching out and smacking me in the arm with it's knob during nearly every late night trip I made. And yes. I fully blame the door. It had nothing to do with me stumbling to the bathroom at 2AM. It's all the door's fault.
Plus, the door blocked half the window in there. Whoever designed the house apparently didn't thing about that when they put the door there. Or the window. I choose to think the door was the poor planning though.
With it gone there's lots of extra light during the day AND no more bruised arms. At least, no more bruised arms from that particular door. I reason the lack of door won't be an issue because I live alone. (No hubby to be modest with.) It's not as though I ever shut that door anyway. In fact, I think it's only ever been closed once in the year and a half I've lived there. That one time was the one and only time Emmy spent the night with me just after I moved in. She got scared in the middle of the night and crawled in the bed with me so when I got up the next morning to shower, I closed that door so as not to disturb her. Or, you know, frighten her. And since I doubt Emmy ever intends on spending the night with me (She says my house is creepy at night. Probably from the ghost that's followed me around since I lived in the lakehouse.) I highly doubt I'll ever need to close it again.
On the rare occasions that Sis1 spends the night with me I merely close my bedroom door and have all the privacy I want.
I have some plans for that door now, actually. Plans that may not ever be carried out but plans, nonetheless. I've seen several home bloggers using hollow core (interior) doors to make desks. All I'd have to do is attach some parson style legs and paint it. Easy peasy. And parson style legs are MUCH cheaper than the legs I'd priced to re-leg the coffee table.
My only concern with doing that is, if I ever decide to rehang a door in the bathroom, I'll have to buy a new one. The only reason I'd ever do that, though, is if I should ever sell the house or acquire a hubby. Both of which seem highly unlikely at this point in my life. And should either of those events occur, I'll probably have bigger concerns than having a bathroom door.
But, enough about my stupid bathroom door. Ya'll are all like, "Huh? What the crap is she yammering on about a bathroom door for. Like we care."
At least that's what the DP's response was when I was talking to her about it.
She's so sweet, right?
My next project was to hang a picture. I know! Big news, right?? Someone quick! Give the girl a prize!
hehe
I'd been waffling about it for a while, though. Big decision, hanging a picture. I just wasn't sure if it'd even make sense to hang this particular picture in the kitchen.
I have three different framed cross stitch pieces that a former pastor's wife did for me back when I was a wee little girl. This particular one is dated 1984. And I loved this particular pastor's wife. She was my Sunday School teacher back then and I just adored her so I wanted to put them up somewhere. I just have had trouble figuring out where to put them.
I felt like that area between the counter and the cabinet needed something that didn't take up any counter space, it being so severely lacking in my kitchen. It's not kitchen themed or food themed but I like this piece and the wood tone on the frame almost matches the wood tone of the other framed piece I have hanging in the kitchen. So I went ahead and took the plunge and just did it.
Cute, right?
And while I had my camera out, I got silly and made some Roma tomato art.
I've only ever used that butterfly dish once or twice so it was just languishing in the china cabinet. And those tomatoes were just dying to dress up my counter. Of course, three of them have since gone on to be with
Anyway, after I finished being silly with the camera and put all my tools away--not to mention cleaning up my filthy disgusting kitchen (which is already pretty gross once more)--I settled in with a good book, the remote and the DP for the rest of the day.
Sunday was pretty much the usual stuff. Church, lunch with the folks, hanging out with Daddy, church and Desperate Housewives.
I spent MLK day at home doing absolutely nothing more strenuous than turning the pages of yet another book. It was a delicious day off.
But then, of course, I had to come back to work yesterday and I worked my bootay off. (I wish! I could totally use less bootay!) And today I decided to steal some time to bore ya'll with bathroom doors, kitchen art and bizar photos of tomatoes. Aren't ya'll so glad?
Alas, it is now time for lunch so I will leave ya'll in peace. :-D







Comments
I think your cabinets are beautiful!
There are pics of what I'm talking about here. It can be turned horizonal or vertical. I also have one that is this wide with a drawer.
Heather~Yeah, both of the bathrooms have ridiculously narrow doorways. That's why that door was always smacking me in the arm.
That's a great idea about those modular shelf units. I had considered file cabinets but they're all so expensive (the ones I've seen, anyway.) I'd also considered saw horses, as I've seen that in a couple of magazines. But those modular units would be way more functional and probably a lot cuter. Thanks for the idea!
Now I've just got to get moving on getting the living room/dining room painted so that I can move my bookcases out of Libby's room. THEN I can work on getting the door desk set up. So maybe by August I'll have it all worked out. lol
I'm also thinking about repainting Libby's room, too. The color in there now is just to close to white so I'm actually thinking of painting it a green similar to the green in the hall bath. Just in the thinking stage, though. Gotta get the funds saved up first! :)
They're also good for creating more closet space, both on the shelf above and floor below (depending on the closet). And, if you want a "drawer" effect, you can buy cute baskets made to fit the units.