DIY Weekend
Well, gang, I finally got around to doing some of the projects on my list. Not the big painting paneling project. Not yet. I'm steeling myself up for that one. No, this weekend I got around to some of the furniture painting projects.
I actually started last weekend by sanding, cleaning and priming a little wooden nightstand that my uncle had given to Mama. Mama couldn't use it but I had an excellent spot for it so I snapped it up. Friday night I stopped by Lowe's and picked up some paint and got to work on it.
Ya'll, I'm not great at painting furniture. I don't know if I just am too messy for it or just don't have the right technique or what. I started out painting with a brush. It was AWFUL! Uneven, drippy and just an all around disappointment. But I tamped back my frustration and decided to stop wait to pick up some mini roll brushes Saturday morning. I'd read the Youngsters advise against using foam rollers but since their recommendation of brushes wasn't working out for me I decided to go rogue and do the mini-foam rollers anyway.
And ya'll...Those things worked out SO MUCH better. There was the bubbling thing the Youngsters warned about but once the paint started to dry, the bubbles popped and it all dried a nice smooth EVEN finish. (with no drips!)
By now I guess you're looking for photographic evidence, right?
Ta da!
No, I didn't take any before pictures because I was too excited when I started to think about taking photos. But I did take this shot to show you that I'm just as messy a painter as I am a baker!
And here he is in his new home. (updated accessories coming soon. maybe.)
Yep. He's going to live in the guest bedroom where the tv tray used to live. I think he'd darn right perty, if you ask me. (I'm totally modest here. hehe)
I can't remember the color name of the blue but it was Valspar and it was something along the lines of "Tidal Basin Pool" or something like that. I picked it a) because I love that shade of blue, b) to pull out some of the darker blue from the painting hanging above it and c) I knew it would really POP against some white. The white paint is Valspar's off the shelf ultra white. Both colors in semi-gloss. (because ya'll want to know all this!)
Anyway, I was kinda itchy Saturday to get started on the rest of the furniture for that room but the itchy was laced with dread because I'd have to actually empty out the drawers(!!) to be able to move them out of the room. And emptying out the drawers(!!) meant extra work. Jana does not like extra work.
So yeah. I didn't get around to them Saturday. But!! I did actually remove all of the laundry from the dryer on the same day it went in! And actually folded it and put it away!! I deserve cookies. Or ice cream. Or ice cream AND cookies! Although I'd be happy with a Java Chiller. (Anyone??)
Sunday afternoon when I got back from Mama and Daddy's I went back to the guestroom and stared at the newly painted little nightstand andand the itch overcame the extra work dread and I dragged the chest of drawers and the other nightstand out.
This is why I dreaded the chest of drawers and other night stand...
Libby said I could have all that stinkin' work. She'd take a nap.
AND their drawers. All eight of them.
Only took me an hour and half. That's including dusting them off, stopping to drool at the Cupcake Wars that was playing out on Food Network and stopping for some Libby kisses.
I had to let them dry (or cure?) overnight so I'm thinking tonight I'll get busy putting on the white paint. Maybe I'll be done by Wednesday...
Still gotta spray paint all of these...
Which involves buying more glossy white spray paint. I thought I had a half a can. Turns out I had barely enough to paint the hardware for the first nightstand.
So that (and laundry) is what I did this weekend. And will be doing this week. Sis1 is supposed to be coming Friday afternoon so I've got to have it all done and put back together before then. And as anxious as I am to get back to it, maybe I won't have any procrastination problems. She just might hafta re-stuff all those drawers!
I actually started last weekend by sanding, cleaning and priming a little wooden nightstand that my uncle had given to Mama. Mama couldn't use it but I had an excellent spot for it so I snapped it up. Friday night I stopped by Lowe's and picked up some paint and got to work on it.
Ya'll, I'm not great at painting furniture. I don't know if I just am too messy for it or just don't have the right technique or what. I started out painting with a brush. It was AWFUL! Uneven, drippy and just an all around disappointment. But I tamped back my frustration and decided to stop wait to pick up some mini roll brushes Saturday morning. I'd read the Youngsters advise against using foam rollers but since their recommendation of brushes wasn't working out for me I decided to go rogue and do the mini-foam rollers anyway.
And ya'll...Those things worked out SO MUCH better. There was the bubbling thing the Youngsters warned about but once the paint started to dry, the bubbles popped and it all dried a nice smooth EVEN finish. (with no drips!)
By now I guess you're looking for photographic evidence, right?
Ta da!
No, I didn't take any before pictures because I was too excited when I started to think about taking photos. But I did take this shot to show you that I'm just as messy a painter as I am a baker!
And here he is in his new home. (updated accessories coming soon. maybe.)
Yep. He's going to live in the guest bedroom where the tv tray used to live. I think he'd darn right perty, if you ask me. (I'm totally modest here. hehe)
I can't remember the color name of the blue but it was Valspar and it was something along the lines of "Tidal Basin Pool" or something like that. I picked it a) because I love that shade of blue, b) to pull out some of the darker blue from the painting hanging above it and c) I knew it would really POP against some white. The white paint is Valspar's off the shelf ultra white. Both colors in semi-gloss. (because ya'll want to know all this!)
Anyway, I was kinda itchy Saturday to get started on the rest of the furniture for that room but the itchy was laced with dread because I'd have to actually empty out the drawers(!!) to be able to move them out of the room. And emptying out the drawers(!!) meant extra work. Jana does not like extra work.
So yeah. I didn't get around to them Saturday. But!! I did actually remove all of the laundry from the dryer on the same day it went in! And actually folded it and put it away!! I deserve cookies. Or ice cream. Or ice cream AND cookies! Although I'd be happy with a Java Chiller. (Anyone??)
Sunday afternoon when I got back from Mama and Daddy's I went back to the guestroom and stared at the newly painted little nightstand andand the itch overcame the extra work dread and I dragged the chest of drawers and the other nightstand out.
This is why I dreaded the chest of drawers and other night stand...
I had forgotten about most of this junk. And then there's the clothes I need to rotate back into my dresser soon. (summer stuff)
Libby said I could have all that stinkin' work. She'd take a nap.
She's so supportive!
So I dragged the chest of drawers and the other nightstand to the dining room. Primed them both.
Only took me an hour and half. That's including dusting them off, stopping to drool at the Cupcake Wars that was playing out on Food Network and stopping for some Libby kisses.
I had to let them dry (or cure?) overnight so I'm thinking tonight I'll get busy putting on the white paint. Maybe I'll be done by Wednesday...
Still gotta spray paint all of these...
Which involves buying more glossy white spray paint. I thought I had a half a can. Turns out I had barely enough to paint the hardware for the first nightstand.
So that (and laundry) is what I did this weekend. And will be doing this week. Sis1 is supposed to be coming Friday afternoon so I've got to have it all done and put back together before then. And as anxious as I am to get back to it, maybe I won't have any procrastination problems. She just might hafta re-stuff all those drawers!








Comments
And I'm weird and like to know the name of the paint. Lipstick too. I will love a color more if the name is cool. :) hehe Very nerdy of me.
Are you sure you don't want to come refinish that godawful desk my sister painted pink for me? *g*
Jen~I used a brush on the bathroom cabinet doors and it worked out great. But for some reason these nightstands just do not like the brush. The roller's quicker anyhow. lol
Heather~I would TOTALLY come refinish your gosh awful pink desk for you if the cost of the airfair up there didn't cost more than my mortgage! hehehe I could send you some supplies and instructions so you could DIY, though! *eg*