Getting It Together
I don't know what it is about the cold winter months that fragments my determination. There are so many aspects of my life that need work and improvement that I'd been dedicatedly working on in the warmer months that seemed to have gone by the wayside once the cold set in.
I had mostly stopped my indoor walking and counting calories. I started spending plastic money as though there were no tomorrow. I let some of my work projects slide. I even let some of my personal relationships fall between the cracks. Does the cold just make me cantankerous? Or is it some ingrained human behavior left over from our caveman ancestors? Or do I just get lazy in the winter?
This week the temps have been hovering in the upper 60's to mid 70's and I can almost feel my psyche perking up. I've walked two days this week--and was actually excited about it instead of morose. And despite the influx of chocolate via V-Day, I'm more conscious** of what I eat. I'm even more conscious of what I'm spending. Not to mention having climbed back into a long neglected work project. (And writing!) There's a definite shift in the ol' attitude.
It helps that the days are getting longer, as well. It's no longer dark when I leave for work in the morning and the sun is still out when I return home in the evenings. Gives a sense of excitement that spring is creeping in and the earth is getting ready to bloom wide open. Also gives me an anxious push to get on the ball and start working on some of the household projects that have been festering in the ol' brain. There just seems to be a world of possibility this week where before there were only excuses.
Definitely not complaining. I'm excited to feel the promise of new determination. It's exhilarating to feel the drag of winter and cold ebbing away. There is energy! And sunshine! And girl scout cookies!
Woops! That last one was a little counter productive to the whole calorie/weight loss thing. But Samoas sure can make a girl feel good! Especially eaten at 3am when you can't sleep so you get up to read and realize you're starving. Not that I did that!
In other energizing reports, I was told this morning that I look younger than I am! Which, creeping ever so closely to mid-thirties, definitely provides a happy kick to the ol' ego. :-D
**Also? I need to learn to spell the word "conscious." All I can say is, "Thank God for spell check!"
I had mostly stopped my indoor walking and counting calories. I started spending plastic money as though there were no tomorrow. I let some of my work projects slide. I even let some of my personal relationships fall between the cracks. Does the cold just make me cantankerous? Or is it some ingrained human behavior left over from our caveman ancestors? Or do I just get lazy in the winter?
This week the temps have been hovering in the upper 60's to mid 70's and I can almost feel my psyche perking up. I've walked two days this week--and was actually excited about it instead of morose. And despite the influx of chocolate via V-Day, I'm more conscious** of what I eat. I'm even more conscious of what I'm spending. Not to mention having climbed back into a long neglected work project. (And writing!) There's a definite shift in the ol' attitude.
It helps that the days are getting longer, as well. It's no longer dark when I leave for work in the morning and the sun is still out when I return home in the evenings. Gives a sense of excitement that spring is creeping in and the earth is getting ready to bloom wide open. Also gives me an anxious push to get on the ball and start working on some of the household projects that have been festering in the ol' brain. There just seems to be a world of possibility this week where before there were only excuses.
Definitely not complaining. I'm excited to feel the promise of new determination. It's exhilarating to feel the drag of winter and cold ebbing away. There is energy! And sunshine! And girl scout cookies!
Woops! That last one was a little counter productive to the whole calorie/weight loss thing. But Samoas sure can make a girl feel good! Especially eaten at 3am when you can't sleep so you get up to read and realize you're starving. Not that I did that!
In other energizing reports, I was told this morning that I look younger than I am! Which, creeping ever so closely to mid-thirties, definitely provides a happy kick to the ol' ego. :-D
**Also? I need to learn to spell the word "conscious." All I can say is, "Thank God for spell check!"
Comments
I was going to say I got no chocolate for Valentine's Day, but considering last weekend's Ladies Night, that isn't entirely true, is it? *g*