Thursday Night's A Snoozefest

So Thursday night TV is a bust for me. Nothin' on I care to watch. Normally, I use Thursday nights for watching whatever I got from Netflix that week. This week's Netflix pick was Going The Distance. You know, with Drew Barrymore and Justin Long?

I was kinda "meh" about it when I put it in my que but I like Drew Barrymore, normally. And Justin Long--LOVED him in He's Just Not Into You. I figured I'd give it a shot.

Ya'll...First of all...a gripe to whoever configures the previews on DVD's and sets the permissions of whether they can be skipped straight to the menu...This disc not only wouldn't let me skip straight to the menu it wouldn't let me use the skip button to skip past individual previews! I had to FAST FORWARD(!!!) through two hours of previews just to get to the menu.

So okay. Maybe it was more like twenty minutes. But twenty minutes of previews that you can't skip??? I might as well have been watching a VHS! What's up with that DVD makers??

When the movie (finally) starts it's kinda borderline boring. But it's only been five minutes. Some movies just start out slow and build to a great story. But then...instead of the movie progressing to a good romantic comedy, it skips straight to Drew and Justin sitting on his bed (they've just met) opposite a Tom Cruz from Top Gun poster smoking from what I can only assume was a bong. (You smoke weed in those things, right? I'm not terribly educated when it comes to drug paraphernalia or drug references.) And this is only twenty minutes into the movie.

I was, to put it mildly, disgusted. I mean, I'm no prude when it comes to what I watch. I've seen Knocked Up with it's various drug references. I watch smutty movies and television. (Hello, True Blood and Big Love) I'm not easily offended.

However, in an already dull movie with dull characters, the introduction of drug use and getting high is not promising, nor is it amusing. I find nothing funny or sexy about using illegal drugs. And blowing smoke rings from a bong ain't cute. At that point, it suddenly didn't matter to me whether or not the movie got interesting or funny or whatever.

It kind of made me sick to think about how casual it seemed for them to be smoking pot like it was no different than going out for coffee. I mean, sure. Some people do drugs. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. Drugs exist and some people get high. And in some cases, the fact that one of the main characters in a movie is a stoner (like Knocked Up) is actually part of the plot. But this just seemed almost like an endorsement for doing drugs.

The characters were two seemingly average people with regular jobs and ambitions. Not a loser like the guy in Knocked Up (pre-becoming a responsible daddy, anyway.). And their answer to getting to know each other and falling in love was getting high.

Blech.

I cut that sucker off without even finishing the rest of that scene, stuffed it back in it's envelope and it's heading back to Netflix today.



Anyway, so after that bombed, I tried reading for a little while but couldn't get interested in that either. I think I must have just been tired. I ended up dozing on the couch for about an hour until the DP decided that she needed to do some aerobics. Instead of standing at her food bowl to eat, she'd jump over me to get off the couch, grab a nibble and then jump BACK over me to eat the nibble.  Lather, rinse, repeat until her bowl was empty. THEN she decided that my face needed a bath so she started licking my face, pausing only to burp with her mouth still against my face. She's so sweet. I finally had to just shove her off to get her to leave me alone.

I finally gave up the fight and waved a white flag at the evening and went to bed at 9:00.

Yeah, I'm old lady. But at least I'm well rested.

Comments

JenFS said…
My hubby and I rented it because of the same thing. We loved Justin Long from He's Just Not THat Into You. I ALSO noticed that I couldn't skip through the previews! That always makes me mad when that happens. I don't like it!
You didn't miss much with the movie. There were a few and I do mean FEW small cute moments, but I had to strain to even recall them. You didn't miss anything...
Heather said…
Have not herd of this one, but sorry it did not work out for you. I hate it when DVDs won't let em skip over previews, either. Hello! They're not why I bought/rented the DVD. On the bright side, at least you didn't shell out $10/15 to snooze through this movie.

(BTW, it's queue and Tom Cruise *G*)
Jana said…
Jen~That's good to know. :)

Heather~ :-P~~~

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today