Winter Can Suck It and Go Home
I'm a complete winter wimp. I admit it. I shudder when I see photos on the news or on blogs when the snow is as tall as a person and all the world is white. I cringe when I hear of temperatures (actual OR wind chill) in the negatives. As in below zero. *shivers*
This, my friends, is why I live in the south. Well, besides the fact that I was born here. Winter here is like spring to ye folks up yonder. But...Ugh. I am so ready to bid winter adieu!
We had a "winter storm" last night which basically means that there was the possibility of snow, sleet or ice--or all of the above. Mama and I left work at two o'clock yesterday in order to avoid it. Because ya'll? Us southern folk? We ain't got NO CLUE how to drive in winter storm conditions. Especially not me and Mama. We are not brave or stupid enough to try it, either.
We ended up not having any snow or heavy ice conditions. Mostly just a mix of rain and sleet causing icy roads, bridges and overpasses. The university decided to remain open even though EVERYWHERE else was closed. All the public and private schools were closed. All the day cares were closed. Half the factories/businesses were closed at least half the day. Even our sister university twenty minutes away in the next county over was closed. But not us. Us here Bulldogs we are hard workers! (blargh!)
Mama and I did wait until eight o'clock to leave for work, though. We normally leave about a quarter to seven. But since road conditions were still iffy we decided to wait until visibility was at least on our side. That only put us being an hour and a half late getting to work. Fortunately, university officials decided to be lenient on those of us who commute as well as those with children who would be at home from school. They aren't counting any missed hours from yesterday or today towards our personal leave. So yay for that! And we may leave early again today since they're talkin' 'bout the temps dropping again and refreezing all the wet stuff as early as four o'clock this afternoon. Eesh!
And you know, the cutie weather boy is talkin' nasty stuff about how we might have this mess--or worse!--again this time next week! Seriously Winter?? You do realize that by next week, February will officially be half over. And you heard what Phil said, right? You're supposed to be making way for our beloved Spring, you nasty critter, you! So quit bein' such a meanie and get the heck outta here!
And to those of you who are unfortunate enough to live "up yonder", quit laughin' at me long enough to hear me say, "I hope Winter leaves you alone soon, too! Until then, keep warm and stay safe." And also, :-P~~~.
This, my friends, is why I live in the south. Well, besides the fact that I was born here. Winter here is like spring to ye folks up yonder. But...Ugh. I am so ready to bid winter adieu!
We had a "winter storm" last night which basically means that there was the possibility of snow, sleet or ice--or all of the above. Mama and I left work at two o'clock yesterday in order to avoid it. Because ya'll? Us southern folk? We ain't got NO CLUE how to drive in winter storm conditions. Especially not me and Mama. We are not brave or stupid enough to try it, either.
We ended up not having any snow or heavy ice conditions. Mostly just a mix of rain and sleet causing icy roads, bridges and overpasses. The university decided to remain open even though EVERYWHERE else was closed. All the public and private schools were closed. All the day cares were closed. Half the factories/businesses were closed at least half the day. Even our sister university twenty minutes away in the next county over was closed. But not us. Us here Bulldogs we are hard workers! (blargh!)
Mama and I did wait until eight o'clock to leave for work, though. We normally leave about a quarter to seven. But since road conditions were still iffy we decided to wait until visibility was at least on our side. That only put us being an hour and a half late getting to work. Fortunately, university officials decided to be lenient on those of us who commute as well as those with children who would be at home from school. They aren't counting any missed hours from yesterday or today towards our personal leave. So yay for that! And we may leave early again today since they're talkin' 'bout the temps dropping again and refreezing all the wet stuff as early as four o'clock this afternoon. Eesh!
And you know, the cutie weather boy is talkin' nasty stuff about how we might have this mess--or worse!--again this time next week! Seriously Winter?? You do realize that by next week, February will officially be half over. And you heard what Phil said, right? You're supposed to be making way for our beloved Spring, you nasty critter, you! So quit bein' such a meanie and get the heck outta here!
And to those of you who are unfortunate enough to live "up yonder", quit laughin' at me long enough to hear me say, "I hope Winter leaves you alone soon, too! Until then, keep warm and stay safe." And also, :-P~~~.
Comments
And if you think it's bad in Southern Mississippi, did you see the snow Dallas got today? Five inches--which is double their average for the year. Which makes me happy, since we're about 20 inches above our norm.
And if you think it's cold now? After the "warm up" of mid-20s over the weekend, we have another viscious cold front moving in. The temperature predicted for next Thursday is one whole degree above zero. Which will put the windchill around 10-20 below.
When did you say we leave for Burmuda?
Is tomorrow too soon to leave for Burmuda??
BTW...Congrats on your Packers' win! *bg*
Thanks for the congrats on my team's win. Needless to say, the state of Wisconsin is quite ecstatic today. *VBG*