1300?? What the...
When I logged into Blogger just now I noticed that as of yesterday's post, I have posted 1300 blog entries. Thirteen. Hundred. One thousand, three hundred.
I'm a chatty little monkey, aren't I?
Anyway, that's not at all what I came here to blog about. So I'll just get on with it.
Last night I got bored. Ghost Hunters was on but they weren't doing a whole lot. I'd already polished off the last of the peanut butterhockey pucks cookies I'd baked last weekend. I needed a project. Something to keep me from crawling out of my skin. Something other than trolling the kitchen for something else to eat.
I didn't have any paint projects to work on (it was too late to do anything with paneling) and I didn't want to start anything that would take all night to do. So I started sorting through all my scrapbooking paper and supplies. Not because I plan on starting a new scrapbook, but just because it was something to do. As I was sorting, I came across a pack of paper I'd bought to use in Sis2's bedroom re-decorate last year and inspiration struck.
You see, I have this clock.
Granny and Paw-Paw Joe gave it to me about three Christmases ago. It hangs out in my dining room over the little linens chest.
Can you see it over there to the right?
While I love the shape of it and it's silvery finish, I'm not entirely fond of the birds. I ain't got nuthin' 'gainst no birds, ya'll, but...they just ain't my thang. (enough redneck grammar for you?)
The clock is also designed to tweet the corresponding bird songs at the top of each hour but my clock "lost" it's battery for that part a LONG time ago. Being woken up by a bird singing in my house at 2am is NOT my idea of a good time, ya'll.
I'd been thinking on it for a while now, what to do to make that clock more "me." Enter last night's sorting of scrapbook paper. The tablet of paper I ran across is full of blue patterned sheets, brown, lime green and a mix of all the above. I used some of it here...
The 8x10 frame on the top shelf? Yeah. That's two of the sheets put together.
The only hurdle I knew might toss me off the repurposing horse was how to cut the paper to size so that it fit perfectly. I'd already figured out how to take the facing off to access the birdy picture but the clock hands wouldn't come out in order to trace the size.
If I were a mathematical whizz and had any serious geometry skilz I probably could have knocked it outta the park pretty quickly and with little problem. But math ain't my forte.
I did try the ol' geometrical string on a pencil trick. No such luck. Then tried measuring but apparently I can't measure either. And, well, there was a lot of wasted paper and some minor slang "cussing" muttered.
But! I finally figured out where I'd measured wrong and rednecked a way to cut a perfectly round template. Then it was just a matter of trimming it to exactly the right size. It took a lot of patience and some serious mulling to get the finished product but...
Voila!
Is it perfect?
Not by any means of the word.I still need to figure out a way to get it to adhere better and I need to get the crease out of where I had to fold it to get the center circle cut.
But is it good enough to suit me?
You bet! I'm actually quite impressed with myself.
I am going to have to take it apart at least one more time because I may or may not have slightly bent the hands on the clock so that they all stick together when they reach the same point together. But even that I'm not all that worried about. I never look at the clock to actually get the time. The battery had been dead for Heaven only knows how long before Uncle R pointed it out to me a few weeks ago when he was over to install my porch lights.
All in all, a much more productive way to stave off boredom than raiding the kitchen.
Of course, I have to make it up to the DP now, though. Recon she'll accept a bribe?
I'm a chatty little monkey, aren't I?
Anyway, that's not at all what I came here to blog about. So I'll just get on with it.
Last night I got bored. Ghost Hunters was on but they weren't doing a whole lot. I'd already polished off the last of the peanut butter
I didn't have any paint projects to work on (it was too late to do anything with paneling) and I didn't want to start anything that would take all night to do. So I started sorting through all my scrapbooking paper and supplies. Not because I plan on starting a new scrapbook, but just because it was something to do. As I was sorting, I came across a pack of paper I'd bought to use in Sis2's bedroom re-decorate last year and inspiration struck.
You see, I have this clock.
Granny and Paw-Paw Joe gave it to me about three Christmases ago. It hangs out in my dining room over the little linens chest.
Can you see it over there to the right?
While I love the shape of it and it's silvery finish, I'm not entirely fond of the birds. I ain't got nuthin' 'gainst no birds, ya'll, but...they just ain't my thang. (enough redneck grammar for you?)
The clock is also designed to tweet the corresponding bird songs at the top of each hour but my clock "lost" it's battery for that part a LONG time ago. Being woken up by a bird singing in my house at 2am is NOT my idea of a good time, ya'll.
I'd been thinking on it for a while now, what to do to make that clock more "me." Enter last night's sorting of scrapbook paper. The tablet of paper I ran across is full of blue patterned sheets, brown, lime green and a mix of all the above. I used some of it here...
The 8x10 frame on the top shelf? Yeah. That's two of the sheets put together.
The only hurdle I knew might toss me off the repurposing horse was how to cut the paper to size so that it fit perfectly. I'd already figured out how to take the facing off to access the birdy picture but the clock hands wouldn't come out in order to trace the size.
If I were a mathematical whizz and had any serious geometry skilz I probably could have knocked it outta the park pretty quickly and with little problem. But math ain't my forte.
I did try the ol' geometrical string on a pencil trick. No such luck. Then tried measuring but apparently I can't measure either. And, well, there was a lot of wasted paper and some minor slang "cussing" muttered.
But! I finally figured out where I'd measured wrong and rednecked a way to cut a perfectly round template. Then it was just a matter of trimming it to exactly the right size. It took a lot of patience and some serious mulling to get the finished product but...
Voila!
Is it perfect?
Not by any means of the word.I still need to figure out a way to get it to adhere better and I need to get the crease out of where I had to fold it to get the center circle cut.
But is it good enough to suit me?
You bet! I'm actually quite impressed with myself.
I am going to have to take it apart at least one more time because I may or may not have slightly bent the hands on the clock so that they all stick together when they reach the same point together. But even that I'm not all that worried about. I never look at the clock to actually get the time. The battery had been dead for Heaven only knows how long before Uncle R pointed it out to me a few weeks ago when he was over to install my porch lights.
All in all, a much more productive way to stave off boredom than raiding the kitchen.
Of course, I have to make it up to the DP now, though. Recon she'll accept a bribe?






Comments
I couldn't wait to tell you, but TAPS is coming to my town! Well, I live in Peoria, and it's coming to the Bartonville hospital (right near my work). It used to be a mental hospital and has been closed for ages. Cool, huh?