Birthday Bash 2011
Disclaimer: My birthday isn't ACTUALLY until tomorrow (the 23rd). My family always celebrates it the weekend before.
So yeah. We had my and Goofus's birthday "party" Saturday. And I quote "party" because it's never so much about celebrating me or Goofus and the fact that we were born as it is to have an excuse to play with the kids and eat a lot.
Sis1's family was all going up to Gatlinburg for Spring Break so they wouldn't be there. Kinda sucks. But Mama didn't want to wait until next weekend because she had something else (I can't recall) that she wants to do next weekend.
The big event was going to be later that evening so we had sandwhiches for lunch. Lyssa did me the huge favor of helping me eat mine even though she'd just finished hers. lol ("I'll help you eat your lunch, Aint Jana," she said all solemnly.)
And, of course, once my lunch was eaten it was time to play. Lyssa dragged out the horseshoes and we set it up.
And ya'll, it was HOT Saturday. Not like, July/August hot, but definitely hot. Midday heat, hot. But we played horseshoes for a while and I had to chase Efan down to reclaim the stake. And the horseshoes.
Then Nana brought out the little baseball set she'd bought the other day and Lyssa and Nana played baseball.
Aint Jana and Efan ran around the yard like goofballs.
The rest of the day was spent piled up on the couch trying not to watch Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2. (it's GROSS, ya'll.) Goofus had the remote, though, so there was no hope of watching anything else. At least it wasn't basketball. *shudder*
This year, since we missed the bonfire gathering at Halloween back in October, Daddy decided he wanted to do a bonfire for our birthday. He did ask me if that was okay and I said it was. Although when that was decided we had no idea it'd be 85 degrees outside. In fact, Mama was worried that it'd be too cold! And I did put a coat and actual shoes (as opposed to the flip flops I wore on my feet) in the car in case it got cold that evening. I didn't need 'em.
It was seriously too hot for a bonfire. But we were committed. Daddy had already chopped the wood. The wieners and marshmallows had already been bought. Totally committed.
AND...I got good gifts.
I actually did ask a cheese grater, btw. I needed a new one. And it is da BOMB. It's a good grater as opposed to the flimsy Dollar Tree one I've had forever.
Also got a frame and $40. Sis1 hasn't sent me a gift yet. I'm not holding my breath...
We closed the night out by staring at the--what'd they call it? Super moon?
So yeah. We had my and Goofus's birthday "party" Saturday. And I quote "party" because it's never so much about celebrating me or Goofus and the fact that we were born as it is to have an excuse to play with the kids and eat a lot.
I've been kind of blase about my birthday this year. Mostly because everyone else has been kinda blase. Like, I don't know, it's not a big deal. Which I guess it isn't. It's only me, after all. *cue trembling lips and sad music* hehe
There wasn't a whole lot of discussion about it. Nobody really asked me what or when or how I wanted to celebrate. In fact, up until about Thursday of last week I wasn't 100% sure I was even going to HAVE a "party." Because nobody mentioned it. I finally asked. (I hate, loathe and despise having to ask if anyone's going to bother with anything to do with me. It's a childish pride thing.)
Sis1's family was all going up to Gatlinburg for Spring Break so they wouldn't be there. Kinda sucks. But Mama didn't want to wait until next weekend because she had something else (I can't recall) that she wants to do next weekend.
So anyway, I didn't exactly rush to their house Saturday morning. I did my usual early trip to town for groceries and breakfast. Did a little cleaning around the house. Threw a load of laundry in the washer. Cleaned the kitchen and took Libby for a leisurely walk around our overgrown yard. (seriously--my yard is so overgrown that it looks as though no one lives there.) Sis2 called around eleven and said they'd just dropped the kids off at Nana's and wanted to come over to my house to check out my projects. (she hadn't yet seen all the furniture I've been painting lately.) I visited with her and Goofus for a while before we (reluctantly) headed over to the folks.
The big event was going to be later that evening so we had sandwhiches for lunch. Lyssa did me the huge favor of helping me eat mine even though she'd just finished hers. lol ("I'll help you eat your lunch, Aint Jana," she said all solemnly.)
And that's when I got suckered into eating outside and playing with the kids. When I went to step outside to get a Coke from the carport fridge (yes, the folks have an extra fridge on the carport.) Lyssa said, "Wait! Lemme get mah shoos on 'n help you." So I waited for her to get her shoes on and she and Efan both "helped" me get a Coke from the carport fridge and...well, then they wouldn't come back in the house. "Eat your lunch out heeeere, Aint Jana!" So I brought my sandwich and chips outside and Lyssa and I ate my lunch while Efan roamed around the yard looking for trouble.
And, of course, once my lunch was eaten it was time to play. Lyssa dragged out the horseshoes and we set it up.
And ya'll, it was HOT Saturday. Not like, July/August hot, but definitely hot. Midday heat, hot. But we played horseshoes for a while and I had to chase Efan down to reclaim the stake. And the horseshoes.
Aint Jana and Efan ran around the yard like goofballs.
We finally convinced them that it was too hot to be outside anymore but it was a lot of pleading and me showing them my red cheeks. Playing with kids in 85 degree heat is HARD. Lyssa went in and laid under the kitchen table because she was "still too hot." (her words) Wish I'd remembered to get my camera out for that. She was too funny.
The rest of the day was spent piled up on the couch trying not to watch Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2. (it's GROSS, ya'll.) Goofus had the remote, though, so there was no hope of watching anything else. At least it wasn't basketball. *shudder*
This year, since we missed the bonfire gathering at Halloween back in October, Daddy decided he wanted to do a bonfire for our birthday. He did ask me if that was okay and I said it was. Although when that was decided we had no idea it'd be 85 degrees outside. In fact, Mama was worried that it'd be too cold! And I did put a coat and actual shoes (as opposed to the flip flops I wore on my feet) in the car in case it got cold that evening. I didn't need 'em.
It was seriously too hot for a bonfire. But we were committed. Daddy had already chopped the wood. The wieners and marshmallows had already been bought. Totally committed.
It was fun anyway. Aunt G brought my cousin's son (her grand-nephew) who I haven't seen since he was about six months old. He's two months older than Lyssa so they were instant best buds. They played horseshoes...
And chased poor Efan who had a BALL playing with the "big" kids.
AND...I got good gifts.
I actually did ask a cheese grater, btw. I needed a new one. And it is da BOMB. It's a good grater as opposed to the flimsy Dollar Tree one I've had forever.
Also got a frame and $40. Sis1 hasn't sent me a gift yet. I'm not holding my breath...
We closed the night out by staring at the--what'd they call it? Super moon?
I need a better camera.











Comments