Last Petunia Standing
So at the end of summer/beginning of fall last year when all my florals had croaked, I cleaned my containers and pots to put them away for the winter. Because I am lazy I just dumped all the potting soil and the dead floral remains into the area between the pavered walkway and the front porch. It's an area I desperately need to landscape with some dirt and rock or something. (No flowers because I don't have gutters and the rain runoff wouldn't be conducive.)
Well, one day last week when Mama dropped me off after work, she glanced over and said, "You've got a Petunia growing!" I looked at her like she was nuts and dubiously asked, "Where?"
So we got out of the car and she walked over to the walkway and there amidst all the weeds I still needed to cut was a little spot of pink.
Can't see it? Me either. Too many weeds.
There it is. Hiding amongst all those hateful weeds that had taken over. Just barely visible. Looks like another bloom is forming, too! (ignore my ominous shadow.)
So when the rain finally cleared out and I finally got the energy to get the Grasshog out again, I was careful to hand weed around my little miracle Petunia before firing up the Grasshog. Once or twice I forgot what I was doing and feared I'd chopped it down. But at the end of the session, along with my trembling pathetic arms and a handful of these...
Was this!
It looks kinda lonely there all by itself. *sigh* Part of me is tempted to go buy some more flowers and potting soil and do a proper garden in that spot but a bigger part of me knows I don't need to spend the money. And an even BIGGER part of me reminds me that I don't, you know, really like gardening. I mean, I was relieved when all my flowers finally bit the dust last fall because it meant I didn't have to remember to *gasp* water them.
And it's that part of me that thinks it's silly to weed around a lone spontaneously reappearing Petunia. I mean, I like Petunias and all. They were particularly perty last year. But. It does look rather silly there all by itself. Maybe I should just whack it, too!
But I can't! Miracles like spontaneously reappearing Petunias don't happen every day!
Amiright?
Well, one day last week when Mama dropped me off after work, she glanced over and said, "You've got a Petunia growing!" I looked at her like she was nuts and dubiously asked, "Where?"
So we got out of the car and she walked over to the walkway and there amidst all the weeds I still needed to cut was a little spot of pink.
Can't see it? Me either. Too many weeds.
There it is. Hiding amongst all those hateful weeds that had taken over. Just barely visible. Looks like another bloom is forming, too! (ignore my ominous shadow.)
So when the rain finally cleared out and I finally got the energy to get the Grasshog out again, I was careful to hand weed around my little miracle Petunia before firing up the Grasshog. Once or twice I forgot what I was doing and feared I'd chopped it down. But at the end of the session, along with my trembling pathetic arms and a handful of these...
![]() |
| Wild onions! |
![]() |
| Last Petunia Standing |
And it's that part of me that thinks it's silly to weed around a lone spontaneously reappearing Petunia. I mean, I like Petunias and all. They were particularly perty last year. But. It does look rather silly there all by itself. Maybe I should just whack it, too!
But I can't! Miracles like spontaneously reappearing Petunias don't happen every day!
Amiright?




Comments
Yay for the hardy Petunia!
I wonder if you couldn't do a ground cover like juniper or something. They're hardy enough that the rain wouldn't bother them.