Reporting live from Northeast Mississippi...
Praise be to the Father, I and all my family are safe and still have our homes.
Campus and town lost electricity around 4pm yesterday, just before Mama and I were leaving to go home. Driving through town without stop lights is not fun. It took us about twenty minutes longer than normal just to get out of town to get home. We were sort of running from one tornado that was headed toward town and headed toward a hailstorm at home. Fortunately, we missed both. As far as we can tell, none of our homes suffered hail damage, though Daddy reported that it was golf ball sized. *shudders*
We were without electricity all night last night and cell phone service was tricky. We managed to get word about the Tuscaloosa tornado from Sis2's MIL in Greenwood but then couldn't get Sis1 on the phone because of the iffy cell service. Finally, around 6:30 or 7 Daddy finally managed to get them on the phone long enough to find out that they were all fine and the massive tornado missed them by a few miles. Judging by what I saw on the news of T-town's devastation, they were massively blessed!
Also had tornadoes go through the tiny town Paw-Paw H lives in but Uncle R managed to get Paw-Paw and Maw-Maw out of their trailer and to Uncle D's house. Uncle D was over in Webster Co. where Uncle T lives trying to help the folks over there get some of the tornado damage cleaned up from the previous night's events.
The small community where my elementary school is located was hit hard during Wednesday night's tornadoes, as well. I think I mentioned my cousins and aunt and uncle yesterday--that's where they live. Daddy went to check on them all yesterday morning and he said he just could not believe what a mess the little community is. Not sure how badly or if the school was damaged. The school in Webster county was hit pretty hard, though. So hard they won't be able to finish out the school year in it. Not sure what's going to happen there.
The tornado that had been headed for town and campus either fizzled out or changed course because all is well there, thank goodness.
As for my little neck of the woods, other than the hail storm and some strong rains later in the evening, we had a pretty quiet night, weather wise. A pretty dark night, too. I didn't get electricity back until 2:30 this morning and the folks still didn't have it when we left for work at 9 this morning. Yeah, campus delayed opening and cancelled morning exams due to the power outages. But from what I hear town and campus got their electricity back in the wee hours of the morning.
There's so much mass devastation in the surrounding areas that it's difficult to fathom. I wouldn't even begin to know where to start in rebuilding. But all my family are safe and alive and for that I am eternally thankful. We just all need to pray for all those who weren't so fortunate. With the death toll rising and the massive rebuilds looming, it's going to be a long and rough road for so many.
Campus and town lost electricity around 4pm yesterday, just before Mama and I were leaving to go home. Driving through town without stop lights is not fun. It took us about twenty minutes longer than normal just to get out of town to get home. We were sort of running from one tornado that was headed toward town and headed toward a hailstorm at home. Fortunately, we missed both. As far as we can tell, none of our homes suffered hail damage, though Daddy reported that it was golf ball sized. *shudders*
We were without electricity all night last night and cell phone service was tricky. We managed to get word about the Tuscaloosa tornado from Sis2's MIL in Greenwood but then couldn't get Sis1 on the phone because of the iffy cell service. Finally, around 6:30 or 7 Daddy finally managed to get them on the phone long enough to find out that they were all fine and the massive tornado missed them by a few miles. Judging by what I saw on the news of T-town's devastation, they were massively blessed!
Also had tornadoes go through the tiny town Paw-Paw H lives in but Uncle R managed to get Paw-Paw and Maw-Maw out of their trailer and to Uncle D's house. Uncle D was over in Webster Co. where Uncle T lives trying to help the folks over there get some of the tornado damage cleaned up from the previous night's events.
The small community where my elementary school is located was hit hard during Wednesday night's tornadoes, as well. I think I mentioned my cousins and aunt and uncle yesterday--that's where they live. Daddy went to check on them all yesterday morning and he said he just could not believe what a mess the little community is. Not sure how badly or if the school was damaged. The school in Webster county was hit pretty hard, though. So hard they won't be able to finish out the school year in it. Not sure what's going to happen there.
The tornado that had been headed for town and campus either fizzled out or changed course because all is well there, thank goodness.
As for my little neck of the woods, other than the hail storm and some strong rains later in the evening, we had a pretty quiet night, weather wise. A pretty dark night, too. I didn't get electricity back until 2:30 this morning and the folks still didn't have it when we left for work at 9 this morning. Yeah, campus delayed opening and cancelled morning exams due to the power outages. But from what I hear town and campus got their electricity back in the wee hours of the morning.
There's so much mass devastation in the surrounding areas that it's difficult to fathom. I wouldn't even begin to know where to start in rebuilding. But all my family are safe and alive and for that I am eternally thankful. We just all need to pray for all those who weren't so fortunate. With the death toll rising and the massive rebuilds looming, it's going to be a long and rough road for so many.
Comments
We're supposed to have clear weather until Sunday, at least. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be bad, though not as bad as yesterday.