A Few Things
Lots on my mind these days. House things. Work things. Family things.
For one thing, something major (well, sorta major) happened to me this week. Technically I'm supposed to keep it on the down low (do people still say that?) for now but since it's been two or three days and no "big" announcement has been made, I'm telling ya'll. Trix already knows because I was so excited I couldn't not tell her. lol And since none of ya'll work with me anyway I figure why not. Ready??
Seriously, it's nothing life altering except that it's really good news and might help me breathe a little easier. ;-)
I got a promotion! And it comes with a small raise! I'm now officially the Senior Associate for the Mississippiana Division of Special Collections. I'd feel more special if ten others in the library hadn't also gotten promotions, including my mother, but I'm thrilled we were all recognized for our contributions to the library program. And technically, it's actually called a reclassification for the position itself (whoever gets this job after me will also be Senior Associate) but I was also told that those positions chosen for reclassification were chosen because of the people currently holding the position and their contributions to the library program. Does that make sense? Either way, it means I get a little street cred and some extra moolah for all the additional duties I was handed nearly a year ago.
As I expressed to Trix the other day, I am concerned a bit about how others in the library--especially those with whom I'm friends--will react. I'm pretty sure A and E weren't included in the reclass/promotions and A can be really competitive with things like that. She was kinda snotty to me when I won a staff recognition award back in January. Even if she weren't, it'd be difficult to be too openly excited about something that I got but they didn't. Would smack too much like bragging. And while I am excited, I certainly don't want to be braggy snot princess about it. And honestly E, at least, deserves a promotion as much or more as I do. She's been here longer and her job is much more high stress than mine. So actually, I'm kinda grateful the big announcement hasn't been made yet. More time to craft my downplayed spin on it. ;-)
It's still exciting, though. And I realize how extraordinarily blessed I am. God is so good.
Also happening on the work front...I'm attending a years of service recognition ceremony this afternoon. All of us celebrating "milestone" years of service for the university are being given a little reception. Can ya'll believe I've been an official staff at this library for ten years??? It feels like longer and just yesterday all at once. My official anniversary isn't until July 1st but they gather up all the 2011 honorees at one time for our pins and gifts. I'll get a pin this year to go with the one I got five years ago. In another ten years I'll get a piece of jewelry-earrings, watch, etc! Woo hoo! lol On a side note, this weekend also marks my 10th anniversary of becoming a college graduate. Feels more like a century ago.
On the homefront, I'm contemplating what my next project will be. I know I've got to finish the priming/painting but once that's done I want to move forward. Until I can get a bigger pot of cash in the bank it'll hafta be smaller projects. One thing I'm considering is some minor landscaping. I took the DP out for a little evening stroll before dark last night and got to studying the front of my house. I looks kinda bare and unloved. I know I need to do the area between the walkway and front porch (where my lonely petunia dwells) but I'm also thinking I need some bushes or something along the windowed section. The brick on the bottom half of the house is stained by the red clay mud that splatters on it each time it rains so that looks a little sad and overall it just looks bare.
But I'm not a gardener. And I don't enjoy outdoor activities. AND I think it's probably too late in the season to plant bushes. Not to mention that that sort of thing ain't cheap. Maybe once Daddy's back in remission I can sweet talk him into doing it FOR me. Because he doesn't already do too much to help out his poor widdle baby child. ;-)
Speaking of Daddy, though, he is improving. Mama says she can tell he's feeling better every day. Has a little more energy each day and his energy holds out a little longer than it did. So we're confident that he's on the road to remission again. Now, if we could just get those gal-blasted shingles to stop causing him pain, he'd be well on the way to being right as rain.
And speaking of rain--Ya'll heard the deplorable news about the Mighty Mississippi?? If you haven't, pick up a newspaper. It ain't lookin' good for those living near the river. Might do to say a few prayers for them. The news 'round here reports mostly on the cities in Mississippi and Tennessee affected but I know there are other states being washed out, too. And those aren't good times, ya'll. Kinda makes me feel guilty since it's the river that shares a name with my state.
And what's worse is, Mississippi is still cleaning up from the tornadoes and now other parts of the state are battling rising flood waters? *shakes head* When's it someone else's turn?
Also, makes me (probably selfishly) glad I'm smart enough to live well away from any rivers. *shudder*
Well, it's nearly time to head on over to the ceremony/reception. Best get some more work done!
For one thing, something major (well, sorta major) happened to me this week. Technically I'm supposed to keep it on the down low (do people still say that?) for now but since it's been two or three days and no "big" announcement has been made, I'm telling ya'll. Trix already knows because I was so excited I couldn't not tell her. lol And since none of ya'll work with me anyway I figure why not. Ready??
Seriously, it's nothing life altering except that it's really good news and might help me breathe a little easier. ;-)
I got a promotion! And it comes with a small raise! I'm now officially the Senior Associate for the Mississippiana Division of Special Collections. I'd feel more special if ten others in the library hadn't also gotten promotions, including my mother, but I'm thrilled we were all recognized for our contributions to the library program. And technically, it's actually called a reclassification for the position itself (whoever gets this job after me will also be Senior Associate) but I was also told that those positions chosen for reclassification were chosen because of the people currently holding the position and their contributions to the library program. Does that make sense? Either way, it means I get a little street cred and some extra moolah for all the additional duties I was handed nearly a year ago.
As I expressed to Trix the other day, I am concerned a bit about how others in the library--especially those with whom I'm friends--will react. I'm pretty sure A and E weren't included in the reclass/promotions and A can be really competitive with things like that. She was kinda snotty to me when I won a staff recognition award back in January. Even if she weren't, it'd be difficult to be too openly excited about something that I got but they didn't. Would smack too much like bragging. And while I am excited, I certainly don't want to be braggy snot princess about it. And honestly E, at least, deserves a promotion as much or more as I do. She's been here longer and her job is much more high stress than mine. So actually, I'm kinda grateful the big announcement hasn't been made yet. More time to craft my downplayed spin on it. ;-)
It's still exciting, though. And I realize how extraordinarily blessed I am. God is so good.
Also happening on the work front...I'm attending a years of service recognition ceremony this afternoon. All of us celebrating "milestone" years of service for the university are being given a little reception. Can ya'll believe I've been an official staff at this library for ten years??? It feels like longer and just yesterday all at once. My official anniversary isn't until July 1st but they gather up all the 2011 honorees at one time for our pins and gifts. I'll get a pin this year to go with the one I got five years ago. In another ten years I'll get a piece of jewelry-earrings, watch, etc! Woo hoo! lol On a side note, this weekend also marks my 10th anniversary of becoming a college graduate. Feels more like a century ago.
On the homefront, I'm contemplating what my next project will be. I know I've got to finish the priming/painting but once that's done I want to move forward. Until I can get a bigger pot of cash in the bank it'll hafta be smaller projects. One thing I'm considering is some minor landscaping. I took the DP out for a little evening stroll before dark last night and got to studying the front of my house. I looks kinda bare and unloved. I know I need to do the area between the walkway and front porch (where my lonely petunia dwells) but I'm also thinking I need some bushes or something along the windowed section. The brick on the bottom half of the house is stained by the red clay mud that splatters on it each time it rains so that looks a little sad and overall it just looks bare.
But I'm not a gardener. And I don't enjoy outdoor activities. AND I think it's probably too late in the season to plant bushes. Not to mention that that sort of thing ain't cheap. Maybe once Daddy's back in remission I can sweet talk him into doing it FOR me. Because he doesn't already do too much to help out his poor widdle baby child. ;-)
Speaking of Daddy, though, he is improving. Mama says she can tell he's feeling better every day. Has a little more energy each day and his energy holds out a little longer than it did. So we're confident that he's on the road to remission again. Now, if we could just get those gal-blasted shingles to stop causing him pain, he'd be well on the way to being right as rain.
And speaking of rain--Ya'll heard the deplorable news about the Mighty Mississippi?? If you haven't, pick up a newspaper. It ain't lookin' good for those living near the river. Might do to say a few prayers for them. The news 'round here reports mostly on the cities in Mississippi and Tennessee affected but I know there are other states being washed out, too. And those aren't good times, ya'll. Kinda makes me feel guilty since it's the river that shares a name with my state.
And what's worse is, Mississippi is still cleaning up from the tornadoes and now other parts of the state are battling rising flood waters? *shakes head* When's it someone else's turn?
Also, makes me (probably selfishly) glad I'm smart enough to live well away from any rivers. *shudder*
Well, it's nearly time to head on over to the ceremony/reception. Best get some more work done!
Comments