Ramblings of a Techno-phobe
You know, I always think of my best blog topics, KCC scenes, tweets, etc when I'm doing something like, say, brushing my teeth and can't write it down. I mean I could write it down. But then I'd drool toothpaste all over it and wouldn't be able to read it AND I'd be late for work. Worse, is when I think of these things while I'm sleeping. Everything seems more brilliant when I dream them. But then remembering the stuff that seemed so brilliant in my sleep enough to write it down is next to impossible.
I've long thought that there should be some kind of contraption you could hook up to your brain to download things that you want to remember so that you can write it or file it away for later. Or you could hit a "record" button on your brainwhen you're having brilliant thoughts and download it already typed. Or to take photographs in your mind and download it later because I never have my camera when the truly photograph worthy stuff goes down. And I always think how awesome it would be if I could just download that image straight from my brain. Maybe one day we'll all have USB ports behind our ears or something. The way technology moves? I wouldn't laugh, if I were you. ;-)
Speaking of technology, I've got a pet peeve related to e-books.
So far, I have not been overly tempted to jump aboard the e-book bandwagon. For one thing, I like paper books. I like the feel and weight of them in my hand. I enjoy placing them on the shelf when I'm done with them. I even like just looking at their covers and spines. I like being able to go and stand in front of my book cases and stare lovingly at the titles and remember how much I enjoyed this book or that. I also enjoy getting rid of/throwing books that disappoint me or make me mad. Something tells me hurling an e-reader across the room would not be a good idea.
All my book neurosis aside, I am also not so fond of the hassle of downloading, syncing and heaven only knows what else is associated with e-readers and e-books. (What the crap is a DRM and why is it such a pain?) I've read enough frustrated tweets and blogs to know that there would be more headaches than pleasure associated with me and an e-reader.
Don't get me wrong. I totally understand the appeal. They're less bulky. Easily stored. Takes up less space. Easy to travel with. I can think of a million reasons why the things are so popular. So I get it. I just don't know if the convenience would outweigh the hassles for me.
But e-books and e-readers aren't my issue. To each his or her own. My issue is the new wave of established authors who are publishing books available only electronically. One of my new favorite mystery authors is doing it with her new series. One of my favorite former Harlequin authors self-publishes exclusively through e-books now. A novella by a favored contemporary author (one I was DROOLING to read) is only available electronically.
I get that it's cheaper. I even get that some authors have stories they want told but can't get a publisher to publish so it's an easy way to get the stories out there. But--*whine* It ain't fair. And I refuse to let them push me into the e-book bandwagon.
I realize at some point I'm probably gonna hafta get a Kindle or a Nook or whatever's popular down the road. If the music industry keeps going I may have to cave and get an iPod, as well. (Heaven help the technologically challenged such as I.) But until then, I'll stick to my books and CD's. *pout*
Further speaking of technology, though, I still have a VCR. Two, actually, though one is combined with a DVD player. I still USE my VCR, as well. No DVR here, though at times I desperately wish I had one. I just don't wanna spend the extra $$ on it. Fingers crossed my VCR holds out. But I do have a DVD player with the ability to record, as well. I just can't get the stupid timer to work on it.
I also still have a stereo with CD player and a dual cassette player/dubber. Though, sadly, the cassette players are getting a bit testy (I don't use them all that often. Just when I'm feeling nostalgic.) My CD carousel is getting a little testy these days, too, so I fear my sixteen year-old stereo system is on it's last legs. *sob*
I honestly don't know what my hold-out is against the iPod/mp3 players. I think it's awesome to be able to purchase one song at a time and keep them on a tiny device. I think it's mostly just a techno-phobe thing where-in I fear I'll buy one and then never be able to use it. Mama bought Emmy a little cheapy MP3 a few Christmases ago and we never DID figure out how to download songs to that thing. And the instructions were non-existent.
Which is one reason I haven't seriously wanted a smartphone. I wouldn't know how to use it and instructions are either too complicated or non-existent. That, and I don't have any 3G or 4G networks at my house so those features would only be useful in town. What would be the point of paying an exorbitant network plan if I couldn't use it all the time? Plus, I have better things to do than play with a phone. Phones are for phone calls. Although, it would be nice to tweet whenever I wanted. Except, I'd probably over-tweet and lose the few followers I have. LOL
Anyway, I'm shutting up now. All I meant to blog about was how I had a perfectly good and brilliant blog typed up in my head but by the time I got to a computer it was gone.
Sorry.
:-D
I've long thought that there should be some kind of contraption you could hook up to your brain to download things that you want to remember so that you can write it or file it away for later. Or you could hit a "record" button on your brainwhen you're having brilliant thoughts and download it already typed. Or to take photographs in your mind and download it later because I never have my camera when the truly photograph worthy stuff goes down. And I always think how awesome it would be if I could just download that image straight from my brain. Maybe one day we'll all have USB ports behind our ears or something. The way technology moves? I wouldn't laugh, if I were you. ;-)
Speaking of technology, I've got a pet peeve related to e-books.
So far, I have not been overly tempted to jump aboard the e-book bandwagon. For one thing, I like paper books. I like the feel and weight of them in my hand. I enjoy placing them on the shelf when I'm done with them. I even like just looking at their covers and spines. I like being able to go and stand in front of my book cases and stare lovingly at the titles and remember how much I enjoyed this book or that. I also enjoy getting rid of/throwing books that disappoint me or make me mad. Something tells me hurling an e-reader across the room would not be a good idea.
All my book neurosis aside, I am also not so fond of the hassle of downloading, syncing and heaven only knows what else is associated with e-readers and e-books. (What the crap is a DRM and why is it such a pain?) I've read enough frustrated tweets and blogs to know that there would be more headaches than pleasure associated with me and an e-reader.
Don't get me wrong. I totally understand the appeal. They're less bulky. Easily stored. Takes up less space. Easy to travel with. I can think of a million reasons why the things are so popular. So I get it. I just don't know if the convenience would outweigh the hassles for me.
But e-books and e-readers aren't my issue. To each his or her own. My issue is the new wave of established authors who are publishing books available only electronically. One of my new favorite mystery authors is doing it with her new series. One of my favorite former Harlequin authors self-publishes exclusively through e-books now. A novella by a favored contemporary author (one I was DROOLING to read) is only available electronically.
I get that it's cheaper. I even get that some authors have stories they want told but can't get a publisher to publish so it's an easy way to get the stories out there. But--*whine* It ain't fair. And I refuse to let them push me into the e-book bandwagon.
I realize at some point I'm probably gonna hafta get a Kindle or a Nook or whatever's popular down the road. If the music industry keeps going I may have to cave and get an iPod, as well. (Heaven help the technologically challenged such as I.) But until then, I'll stick to my books and CD's. *pout*
Further speaking of technology, though, I still have a VCR. Two, actually, though one is combined with a DVD player. I still USE my VCR, as well. No DVR here, though at times I desperately wish I had one. I just don't wanna spend the extra $$ on it. Fingers crossed my VCR holds out. But I do have a DVD player with the ability to record, as well. I just can't get the stupid timer to work on it.
I also still have a stereo with CD player and a dual cassette player/dubber. Though, sadly, the cassette players are getting a bit testy (I don't use them all that often. Just when I'm feeling nostalgic.) My CD carousel is getting a little testy these days, too, so I fear my sixteen year-old stereo system is on it's last legs. *sob*
I honestly don't know what my hold-out is against the iPod/mp3 players. I think it's awesome to be able to purchase one song at a time and keep them on a tiny device. I think it's mostly just a techno-phobe thing where-in I fear I'll buy one and then never be able to use it. Mama bought Emmy a little cheapy MP3 a few Christmases ago and we never DID figure out how to download songs to that thing. And the instructions were non-existent.
Which is one reason I haven't seriously wanted a smartphone. I wouldn't know how to use it and instructions are either too complicated or non-existent. That, and I don't have any 3G or 4G networks at my house so those features would only be useful in town. What would be the point of paying an exorbitant network plan if I couldn't use it all the time? Plus, I have better things to do than play with a phone. Phones are for phone calls. Although, it would be nice to tweet whenever I wanted. Except, I'd probably over-tweet and lose the few followers I have. LOL
Anyway, I'm shutting up now. All I meant to blog about was how I had a perfectly good and brilliant blog typed up in my head but by the time I got to a computer it was gone.
Sorry.
:-D
Comments
I know I'm going to have to replace my DVD player in the near future. It's not exactly a top brand (it was a gift, so cvan't really complain) and it constantly tries my patience. For one, the door is stubborn, and I have to use tweezers to open it every time I change a disc. Then it will inexplictedly start making noises.
I also have two VCRs, but I don't think one works anymore, and buttons on the remote of the other do not function. Which means trying to rig up a universal remote to use it (which requires extreme patience in technology, ugh!).
Since I have a ton of videos and do not possess the wealth to replace them all on DVD, I would like to get a dual DVD/VCR player--but those aren't exactly cheap, either. Don't even get me started on my outdated, bulky TV.
I do now have a cheap ipod that was a present, but I haven't actually uploaded anything to it yet. I mean, it's not like I don't have hundreds of CDs I could put on it. It's just a matter of sitting down and taking the time, then buying individual songs I'd like to add.
As for ebooks... Like you, I much prefer the feel of a printed book. You can't really browse an ebook, or borrow from friends, or pass one on to someone. Plus, like you, there are times I'll pluck an old favorite off the shelf and reread a little bit of it, or page through to find a particular passage or scene I liked. While I understand most ebook readers allow you to bookmark sections of a book, it's still not the same.
Plus, you lose the pleasure of browsing the bookstore, or thrift shops, or library used book sales. You lose that tactile pleasure.
I spent a month or more 2 summers ago loading all of my cd's to my mp3 player (I also copied to a flash drive so I don't lose them if it goes out)(I'm anal). ANd more often than not, I still use CD's in my jeep. Although, it's nice at work to plug it in to my computer and scroll through music some days.
Jenn~So how difficult is it, exactly, to load songs onto a mp3 on a scale of 1 to 10. Is it at least as easy as uploading pictures from a digital camera to the computer? Or harder? Cause if it's harder, I'm sunk. :-/
Maybe it's one of those things you hafta see it as you're doing it to know what the heck you're looking for. LOL
If I ever cave and get one, I'll probably hafta get Emmy or Uncle R to walk me through it the first time. Emmy, after all, had to teach her mama how to make a phone call on Sis1's new iPhone. hehehe
Maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas this year. lol
I copied a bunch of Christmas ones this year, and ended up having to edit some of the artist/album info as that doesn't always seem to sync up. I also made sure all of that went under one label (Christmas), as some discs were labeled "Christmas" and some as "Holiday" or "World Music." Go figure...
Oh, and you do know you can listen to CDs on your DVD player...right? I only ask because my computer programer friend somehow did not know this until I -- the absolute last person to get a DVD player -- stuck one in her player one day, LOL.
In an ideal happy world I'd have the big bad surround sound system where my tv/dvd/stereo all came through some big thumping speakers. Sis1 and BIL had one of those systems (until it died) and that thing was AWESOME.