A Little Whine

Ugh.

My teeth hurt and I think I may be getting a few weeks jump on some PMS because ya'll? I'm in a craptastic mood today. Or at the moment, anyway.

Shortly after I got to work this morning, A im'd me that we're meeting Mrs. B for lunch today. Mrs. B who retired last year. So yay! I haven't seen her in a while except for a brief run-in at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago. (Yes. We clogged an aisle for half an hour.) I really don't need to spend the money on yet another lunch outing as this will be the third one this week but life happens and it's just money and all that. Plus, it's Mrs. B! She's SO worth it.

Because I am a good daughter, I invited Mama to tag along. She and Mrs. B have been friends and worked together for YEARS. I was being NICE. However, what's that old saying about being nice will get you shot in the face or something like that? Isn't there a saying along those lines? Oh, right. Let no good deed go unpunished. Being shot in the face is more accurate but whatever.

Mama emailed me and asked if her friend JA can come too. JA and Mrs. B are semi-related (by marriage) and haven't seen each other since Mrs. B retired. I was kinda meh on the idea but decided to be nice and say sure. I like JA. She's sweet and quiet and she and Mama are like BFF's and all.  I didn't think my other friends would have a problem with it because they know her and like her as well.

I had just im'd A to tell her when I get an email from Mama. She has put together her own little group to go with us. She, JA and another lady in their office DG. And can we go earlier than planned? and so on. Does this seem presumptuous to anyone but me? Like our little gathering of friends got hijacked by my mother and HER FRIENDS.

Which, honestly, I don't think I'd care because we all work at the library, all know each other, etc. BUT. I don't really care to be around DG. She's loud, opinionated, overly critical and not altogether kind. Mama doesn't even like her all that much because she's hurt Mama's feelings a lot lately. But JA didn't want to leave her out so without even ASKING they invited her to come, too and were already trying to change the plans. I let Mama know quickly that since we'd already made the plans with Mrs. B that we weren't changing to accommodate them.

Now I'm so put out about it that I don't even want to go. I just can't figure out a way to gracefully bow out. E just came up here for a quick visit and I explained the sitch and apologized for messing up our plans. She said it was fine but she's disappointed because we won't really get to visit with Mrs. B since the crowd grew and DG will likely dominate the conversation. 

Who knows, it may all work out to be a fun time. I doubt it. But stranger things have happened. One thing I do know for sure...I will not EVER invite my mother to one of our lunch outings again. And that's a fact.

Comments

Heather said…
That was incredibly rude and presumptious of your mother and friends. I hope the lunch turned out okay, and that your day gets better. (((HUGS)))
Jana said…
It turned out okay, I guess. There really were too many people in the group to really enjoy a visit the way I wanted to but DG was reasonably well behaved and nobody stormed off from the table. I didn't get to participate in ANY conversation but I rarely do in groups. *sigh*

I'll just hafta make separate arrangements for a one on one supper at some point soon. I haven't had a really good Mrs. B talk in so long.
JenMarie said…
That sucks. It's hard to know how to handle situations when people act out of 'normal' standards. I don't EXPECT people to act like that and therefore can't ever say the right thing.
Jana said…
Jen~I know, right? I couldn't be rude and tell them no they couldn't all come, yanno?

What's funny is this is the sort of thing Mama gets so mad about Sis2's MIL doing to Sis2 all the time. It's okay for HER to hijack plans but not the crazy MIL from you-know-where.
Heather said…
Guess you'll just have to invite Mrs B over for one of your chickens. Only, I'd put it in the oven a lot earlier than 7pm. Just sayin'. ; )

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today