Alternate Style
It's another house post. So if you've had your fill of that already you can come back tomorrow and hear about my root canal. I'll have all the deets on that for ya. I know ya'll can't wait.
If you're still reading I guess that means you're up for me getting all HGTV on your hineys. ;-)
So, about a month ago I got bored on a Saturday morning and decided to switch things around in my living room. I'd had the furniture in the same spots for two years and wanted to see what else could be done in there. The answer of course is, "Not much." But I tried it anyway. Still not sure how I feel about the results but after a month of living with it I can only say, "It doesn't completely suck."
Thrilling stuff there, right?
So basically, I moved the couch to the wall with the window and moved the chairs to the wall across from it. Moved the table that used to be at the end of the love seat to between the two chairs and moved the two soon-to-be donated side tables out of the way at the end of the couch. Also moved the floor lamp to the end of the love seat. I moved a TV tray in to sit at the corner where the love seat and the couch meet. (Shoot. I should've photographed that detail.)
I tried moving the love seat to the wall where I moved the chairs and putting the chairs where the love seat is but I didn't like it. Heck, I'm still not sure I like this either. I could probably do more with less furniture but I like all of it so it's not going anywhere.
So.
Pros of the new configuration: Opens up more space to enter the room.
Cons of the new configuration: Couch doesn't "lay" right anymore (meaning: it's not as comfy to lay on my left side to watch TV) and it blocks a third of the window. You can see the back of the couch from outside AND it blocks some light inside. In order to center the couch on the window I had to push the love seat back which pushed the work table behind it back which now narrows the entry "hall" from the front door. Also there are some awkward places that I'm not sure what to do with.
I know for sure I'll hafta move everything back before Christmas if I hope to fit my giant tree in there. Which, ugh. I'm thinking of skipping the big tree this year and just using my little one. I'm thinking in terms of being lazy but who knows how I'll feel come December? *shrugs*
Anyway, I also got bored this past Saturday and decided to try something new in the bedroom. No, not THAT kind of "something new". Sheesh. Gutter minds.
No. THIS. I tried THIS.
You know, to add a little texture and contrast to the bedding. It's really just folding the sheet and comforter down halfway. Nothing brilliant or even particularly original. They do it on A&E's Sell This House all the time.
Yes, this is the sort of thing I do when I get bored at home. I play HGTV Design Star and take photographs. I also take photographs of my messy flip flop pile.
Yes, I have a shoe rack AND an organizer in my closet. But this is what always happens by the end of the week. They end up right inside my bedroom door in a heap. Have I mentioned before that I'm lazy?
Also, I take random photos of my breakfast when I'm bored.
Oh, and I ALSO finished reading another book! I buckled down and read Brenda Novak's Inside. Good book with an awesome hero who I wish the author had explored more. Virgil and his predicament was just so interesting I wanted the book to focus more on him and his relationship with Peyton. But being that the novel is a romantic suspense/thriller instead of a straight up romance the relationship got skimmed over in lieu of catching the bad guys. Which is why I get frustrated with romantic suspense/thrillers.
However, if you love rom. suspense/thrillers, it'll certainly tickle your fancy. And make you want to kick particular characters. Or get stabby, as Jenny, the Bloggess would say.
So, I'm off to a root canal. Ya'll don't have too much fun without me.
If you're still reading I guess that means you're up for me getting all HGTV on your hineys. ;-)
So, about a month ago I got bored on a Saturday morning and decided to switch things around in my living room. I'd had the furniture in the same spots for two years and wanted to see what else could be done in there. The answer of course is, "Not much." But I tried it anyway. Still not sure how I feel about the results but after a month of living with it I can only say, "It doesn't completely suck."
![]() |
| New view from the dining room. |
![]() |
| New view from the front door. |
So basically, I moved the couch to the wall with the window and moved the chairs to the wall across from it. Moved the table that used to be at the end of the love seat to between the two chairs and moved the two soon-to-be donated side tables out of the way at the end of the couch. Also moved the floor lamp to the end of the love seat. I moved a TV tray in to sit at the corner where the love seat and the couch meet. (Shoot. I should've photographed that detail.)
I tried moving the love seat to the wall where I moved the chairs and putting the chairs where the love seat is but I didn't like it. Heck, I'm still not sure I like this either. I could probably do more with less furniture but I like all of it so it's not going anywhere.
So.
Pros of the new configuration: Opens up more space to enter the room.
Cons of the new configuration: Couch doesn't "lay" right anymore (meaning: it's not as comfy to lay on my left side to watch TV) and it blocks a third of the window. You can see the back of the couch from outside AND it blocks some light inside. In order to center the couch on the window I had to push the love seat back which pushed the work table behind it back which now narrows the entry "hall" from the front door. Also there are some awkward places that I'm not sure what to do with.
I know for sure I'll hafta move everything back before Christmas if I hope to fit my giant tree in there. Which, ugh. I'm thinking of skipping the big tree this year and just using my little one. I'm thinking in terms of being lazy but who knows how I'll feel come December? *shrugs*
Anyway, I also got bored this past Saturday and decided to try something new in the bedroom. No, not THAT kind of "something new". Sheesh. Gutter minds.
No. THIS. I tried THIS.
You know, to add a little texture and contrast to the bedding. It's really just folding the sheet and comforter down halfway. Nothing brilliant or even particularly original. They do it on A&E's Sell This House all the time.
Yes, this is the sort of thing I do when I get bored at home. I play HGTV Design Star and take photographs. I also take photographs of my messy flip flop pile.
Yes, I have a shoe rack AND an organizer in my closet. But this is what always happens by the end of the week. They end up right inside my bedroom door in a heap. Have I mentioned before that I'm lazy?
Also, I take random photos of my breakfast when I'm bored.
![]() |
| Two fried eggs and a ham steak comin' right up! |
However, if you love rom. suspense/thrillers, it'll certainly tickle your fancy. And make you want to kick particular characters. Or get stabby, as Jenny, the Bloggess would say.
So, I'm off to a root canal. Ya'll don't have too much fun without me.





Comments
And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your bedroom! It's a haven. It's rich and lovely and decadent. And I love colored sheets. I had dark green for years, but I love your gray. Gorgeous.
Glad you liked it, though. My bedroom is actually my favorite room in the house. If I ever decide to put a TV in there, I may never leave it. lol
Where is Miranda hanging these days? I haven't seen that print in your photos for a long time. Perhaps you've mailed her to me? I'll watch the mailbox for it!! LOL
Heather~I can understand that, completely. They make those things so HEAVY. I put those slider things under my new one when I put it together and I still can only push it an inch or so. If I emptied it out I might have better luck but who has the energy for that? lol