Kinda sorta
So the other night, Mama and I hit up Wal-Mart after work. She had to pick up some things for the kiddos so while she went off in search of juice and yogurt, I headed to the fabric department. I still wanted to finish that corkboard and get the fabric to finish covering the chair in Libby's room. I searched and searched and drooled over fabric and debated and compared and decided for sure this is it five times. I finally found a pink piece in the pre-cut squares that I thought might be big enough. It was an inch wider than the piece I'd bought the previous trip and was a solid...well, sorta solid...instead of patterned. I figured if all else fails, I could use it on the chair.
Then I discovered the scrap bin. You know, where all the pieces of bolts go todie be sold. Actually, I think they're called fabric remnants instead of scraps. But whatever. Anyway, I found a bundle of this soft plum colored remnant that was marked as 3/4 of a yard and priced at $1.13. Score!
Except not.
As the cashier scanned my two little pieces of fabric I nearly had a heart attack. The fabric remnant rang up as $10 and some change. I stopped her and had her check it because $10 is a lot more than $1.13. She mumbled something about it being $7.35 a yard and this was over a yard and something. I don't know. I was too busy being disgusted to catch it all. I politely told her, "Please remove that from my total, I don't want it."
So much for the fabric remnant bin. Totally burned me on that, it did.
However, I still had the pink piece of fabric that I only paid $1.25 for so when I got home--after I walked twelve miles and ate a salad for supper (yeah, right)--I got the corkboard down and worked on it for about half an hour. The fabric piece would have fit exactly perfect, except the extra inch was actually a white strip. *sigh* BUT...I was not to be defeated. Not this time. I was so over this project and just wanted it done. SO...
I got creative. That's two kinds of ribbon that I already had on hand. I actually love the addition of the paisley ribbon. Makes it all girly and pretty without being too busy once I start pinning stuff.
It's all held on there with upholstery nails.
Back when I'd first started planning this little project, I'd intended to put batting beneath the fabric and tuft the board, lining it with the upholstery nails. After I saw that a small package of batting is $7 I decided to change my mind about the tufting. Then the addition of patterned ribbon knocked out the idea of lining the fabric with the nails because the ribbon was too pretty on it's own to detract with nails--even if they ARE daisy head nails. Doesn't help that those nails turned out to be a PITA to push in. Weird.
Anyhow, two at each corner and three in them middle top and bottom and it's all snug as a bug in a rug.
Now, to start USING it without junking it up. :-/
Then I discovered the scrap bin. You know, where all the pieces of bolts go to
Except not.
As the cashier scanned my two little pieces of fabric I nearly had a heart attack. The fabric remnant rang up as $10 and some change. I stopped her and had her check it because $10 is a lot more than $1.13. She mumbled something about it being $7.35 a yard and this was over a yard and something. I don't know. I was too busy being disgusted to catch it all. I politely told her, "Please remove that from my total, I don't want it."
So much for the fabric remnant bin. Totally burned me on that, it did.
However, I still had the pink piece of fabric that I only paid $1.25 for so when I got home--after I walked twelve miles and ate a salad for supper (yeah, right)--I got the corkboard down and worked on it for about half an hour. The fabric piece would have fit exactly perfect, except the extra inch was actually a white strip. *sigh* BUT...I was not to be defeated. Not this time. I was so over this project and just wanted it done. SO...
I got creative. That's two kinds of ribbon that I already had on hand. I actually love the addition of the paisley ribbon. Makes it all girly and pretty without being too busy once I start pinning stuff.
It's all held on there with upholstery nails.
Back when I'd first started planning this little project, I'd intended to put batting beneath the fabric and tuft the board, lining it with the upholstery nails. After I saw that a small package of batting is $7 I decided to change my mind about the tufting. Then the addition of patterned ribbon knocked out the idea of lining the fabric with the nails because the ribbon was too pretty on it's own to detract with nails--even if they ARE daisy head nails. Doesn't help that those nails turned out to be a PITA to push in. Weird.
Anyhow, two at each corner and three in them middle top and bottom and it's all snug as a bug in a rug.
Now, to start USING it without junking it up. :-/


Comments