The Little Dreamer

Photo by Sis2, budding photographer

Though her official party was on a Saturday, Lyssa's actual birthday wasn't until that Sunday. Sis2 and Goofus wanted to celebrate it strictly just their little family. A sort of private and intimate family time, you could say. When Sis2 asked Lyssa what she wanted to do for her birthday Lyssa responded that she wanted to go on a picnic with a red checkered blanket--she was very specific about that! There HAD to be a red checkered blanket.

Lyssa's not the kind of kid who asks for a whole lot. It doesn't take much to thrill her. But she does have a big imagination and a childish  romanticism about her that I find rather charming. I was a lot like that when I was her age. Sis2 was, too, now that I think about it. Unfortunately, our parents were more for practical things and while they did always try to make us happy, there was a lot of "no" in our lives. Because we were silly.

Perhaps that's why Sis2 is always determined to do her best to fulfill at least SOME of Lyssa's requests. And a picnic with a red checkered blanket was completely doable.
She scrounged around her table cloth collection and found a red checkered one, sent Goofus to the attic to find the picnic basket Mama had given them as a wedding gift basket and packed a lunch of Lyssa's favorites--PB&J sandwiches, apple slices and cookies--and they headed to the lake. I guess you can tell by that smile that she was a happy little dreamer. 

Since I didn't get to attend the picnic, I don't have a real story about it. However, I did spend a good portion of yesterday with her and have a little funny to share about her. She and I were in her room putting together one of her large pieced Dora puzzles. I was running on with her about how hard it was and how none of the pieces I tried fit. "Oh nooooo. That piece doesn't fit either."  She kept patting me on the back and telling me, "It's okay. Just do your best." Then one time, I found a piece that actually fit and said, "Oh my gosh! It fit! It fit!" The girl, never taking her attention away from the puzzle piece she was fitting in said, "That's good, Aunt Jana, but you're not s'posed to say 'oh my gosh.'"

Reprimanded by a four-year-old. Gotta love it. ;-)

Comments

Heather said…
What a sweet memory she'll have of this day when she looks back on this picture!
JenMarie said…
Oh, that is so adorable. I really love that age where they're still young and dreamy, but have moments of adult clarity and perception that are shocking.

I really am glad that your sis tries to make their 'doable' dreams happen. I just totally decided to take the kids on a picnic before the weather is too cold to do so. Just for fun! :)
I don't think I've ever done a 'real' picnic. The girl and I used to eat on our back porch often, sometimes at the table and sometimes on the stairs. I think it's about time!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today