A TV Ho's Fall Review

Admittedly, my taste in television runs vastly different from what the masses seem to enjoy. Seems everyone I know talks about how amazing Modern Family is and how all the Real Housewives shows are their guilty pleasures. Me? I WANT to like Modern Family. Sofia Varga (isn't that her name?) is hilarious but the so-called comedy just kinda thuds at my feet. As for Real Housewives...gag. All this is my way of saying, "I'm probably not the best person to go to for Fall premier reviews."

Anyway, here's the rundown:

Monday: Since Chuck is moving to Fridays, my Monday schedule is free to watch How I Met Your Mother. For YEARS I was certain I hated this show. Then Lifetime began showing the re-runs and I fell in love with it. I'm a little behind on what's what right now because I'm a Chuck ho and the past four seasons has been spent decidedly dedicated to Zachary Levi. This new freedom to watch HIMYM lends me to watching the new CBS comedy TWO BROKE GIRLS. I like the premise and the girl who plays Max is awesome. Over all, it's a cute show. I haven't worked up any real passion for it yet but I'm only two episodes in. There's still time for love to bloom. ;-)

I skip Two and a Half Men because, well, it's never been my cup of tea--with or without that crap load of crazy Sheen. However, makeing a come-back to my Monday night viewing extravaganza is Mike and Molly. I abandoned this one mid-way through last season because it was at odds with Syfy's Being Human. I enjoyed Mike and Molly but, um, a hot werewolf named Josh vs. a couple of adorable chubby folks? Um, duh. Josh would win over just about anything. Since Being Human won't return until January, I'm enjoying Mike and Molly again. And how thrilled am I that Melissa McCarthy won an Emmy for it? Super totally flipped out crazy ecstatic. Melissa McCarthy has always been amazing. I think I liked her better than Laura Graham when they were both on Gilmore Girls a bazillion years ago. ;-)

Anyway, that carries me to 9pm when I pretty much am done for the night. Over the summer I'd set the recorder to record Rizzoli and Isles on TNT but it's gone until November so 9pm is free for beddy-bye time. (I'm not an old lady exactly. I just get up at nearly 5am every morning!)

Last night I also read Victoria Dahl's Good Girls Don't and it was fab. A little bit close to filthy, but fab. And hawt. And funny. :)

Tuesday: I know at least one of you (Heather) is all about CBS and NCIS on Tuesday nights. (Where do you stand on the LA version of that, Trix? I don't recall you ever saying.) I, however, have never gotten into it. I was somewhat interested in viewing the new show, Unforgettable though--mostly because I like Poppy Montgomery. I couldn't, however, muster up enough interest to either record it or stay up to watch it. Mama reported the next day that it was boring. Which doesn't say a whole lot because she finds most TV boring. But I figured if my interest was that blase, her dismissal of it was all I needed to write it off this season.

One new show I did watch last Tuesday was New Girl on Fox. Zooey D....whatever her name is, is usually pretty funny and quirky so I gave it a spin. It didn't suck but it got a solid "meh." I'll tune in again tonight to see if it's any better. Other than that, though, Tuesday night's kind of a bust for me TV-wise. HGTV and channel flipping. Or reading. Or all the above.

Wednesday: With ABC Family's Melissa and Joey gone until November, Wednesday nights are freed up for trying some new shows. Last Wednesday night I viewed NBC's Up All Night and Free Agents. The first was kind of funny but on the ridiculous side. And while admittedly, I can be down with some ridiculousness at times, Christina Applegate and What's His Face Arquette (not David) just didn't do it for me. I ended up flipping over to check out The X Factor on Fox about halfway through. The X Factor btw, is just a glamourized version of American Idol. And apparently Simon has taken to wearing eye-liner. If he's not actually wearing it, he's doing a good job of looking like he does.

Anyway, Free Agents was just "meh" as well. I would have watched it all the way through, though, if Sis2 hadn't called to chat. But since I didn't feel as though I missed anything, I could probably give this one a pass if something better comes along later.

Then, of course, the rest of Wednesday night is consumed with Syfy. Ghost Hunters and Paranormal Witness. Ya'll, GH might be getting a little stale but Paranormal Witness kinda gives me nightmares. I had been recording it and watching later so it wasn't that bad. Last week, however, I decided to just stay up and watch it. Big mistake. I was so paranoid and nervous I almost didn't get to sleep that night. Scary!

Thursday's are still pretty much a bust, except I did watch NBC's Whitney. It was funny but I'm not feeling complete love yet. I'll give it another go or two, though.  HGTV steals the rest of the night, though, with The High, Low Project and something else I can't remember right this moment. I was interested in seeing CBS's Person of Interest but it conflicted with Whitney and I chose her because comedy is a much better stress relief than anything with that creepy guy from Lost in it. (Michael Emmerson) And let's be real--TV, for me, is as much about stress relief as it is entertainment.

Daddy, however, LOVED Person of Interest. He was all excited about it when we went through our run down on new shows and what we'd watched. But, he loves a lot of things I don't care for. Hunting shows, the NCIS franchise, Bones and RFD TV so I don't know that I trust his taste. The only shows we've ever had in common are The Closer and Covert Affairs. (TNT and USA) I may still have to figure out a way to give it a look.

Friday: I kinda sorta watched A Gifted Man on CBS but I was hip deep in pumpkin muffins so I only saw bits and pieces. It was intriguing and I love the guy on there even if I can't recall his name right now. And it has a ghost in it! I'm all over some ghostly shows, doncha know. ;-) I will definitely give it another whirl.

I also watched the encore of ABC's Revenge and finally(!!!) we have a winner. I loved it. Mystery, drama, lots of movement, a decent cast, a great plot and lots of questions to keep me interested. My only issue with it is the jumps between past, present and future. Kinda makes my head spin. But since I hung out with Lost for all those years, I figure I can take it. If it doesn't encore every Friday night, I will have to add this to my Wednesday night que and record it since it airs at 9pm.

Saturday: I started watching NBC's encore of Prime Suspects because Maria Bello is a good actress and I thought it looked interesting. About twenty minutes in I was bored enough to start channel surfing and finally gave up to read a book.

Sunday night I mostly read until Desperate Housewives came on and then I went to bed. And how sad am I that this is the last season for DH?? VERY!

I can say this...I will be seriously over the moon glad when TNT, USA and ABC Family bring back my "summer" shows in November. And...Chuck! He's back Oct 21st!



So, anyone else watch something new that they enjoyed? Anything I missed that I should have watched? Anyone love something I didn't?

Comments

Bridget Locke said…
I am so not into TV watching anymore, which I find horribly sad. I tried Ringer b/c I'm a HUGE SMG fan, but hated it. Lame, lame, lame. Love HIMYM and The Big Bang Theory. I mostly watch HGTV, stuff on Discovery and the premium cable channels. Oh, and Disney when I'm bored. I wanted to try The Secret Circle b/c I was a huge LJ Smith fan back in the day, but forgot it was on. Oops!
Heather said…
In answer to your question, I love both versions of NCIS. Both shows have a stong and original cast.

My viewing slants mainly towards the crime dramas, with one exception.

Mon: Castle. Tues: NCIS and NCIS:LA. I did record the first two eps of Unforgettable, but...eh. I am probably not going to continue with this one. WED: Criminal Minds and CSI (the original Vegas one). Thurs: Big Bang Theory and The Mentalist.

I haven't found anything to fill my Friday nights, and weekend are devoted to football and/or movies. Oh, I also like As Time Goes By, a Brit comedy that airs on PBS Saturday evenings.

Sometimes I do miss some of the shows I loved that have been cancelled, or are on cable (which I no longer have) but at the same time, I'm rather glad my TV viewing is down from about 12 hours a week to 6.5 (not including news and football, LOL). It means I do a lot more reading. *g*
Jana said…
Bridget~I WISH I weren't so addicted to TV. Even if I'm not watching, though, I hafta have it on. I'm probably going to die of mush brain or something. *sigh*

Heather~My parents like both of the NCIS's too. I tried but *shrugs* not my thing, I guess.

My mother LOVES the Mentalist. USA is now showing repeats of it so I may pick it up, still. I love the guy on there...what's his name. Oh, yeah. Simon Baker. Hawt.

Love Nathan Fillion but could never get into Castle which is sad because seems like everyone I know adores it. I feel so left out. lol

Love Thomas Gibson, too, but Criminal Minds--much like CSI--is a little too graphic for me.

Reading's good, though. I need to get back to doing more of it. I've read 1.5 books this week and my mood has been much more stable. ;-)
Heather said…
Yes, Criminal Minds and CSI can both be a bit graphic at times. I had to look away from a few scenes on this week's ep of CM. I've finished three books so far this week, 81 for the year (in a goal towards 100). Go me! *G*
Jana said…
Whoo hoo! Go you! :)

I think my count is in the 30's or 40's. I got a new shipment last week and have a list to order for this month so maybe I'll catch up some...;-)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today