Fun With Knives
Just some thoughts on the fancy lunch I just attended...
The university catering needs to develop some new recipes. The cheesy chicken breast and roasted potatoes are gettin' kinda old. I've been to three or four events this year and at each one they served the same cheesy chicken breast, the same roasted potatoes and the same apple cobbler.
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some apple cobbler and theirs is pretty dog-gone good. Good enough that I'd have loved to faceplant in it and lick the tray clean. And also good enough that I'm going to start bringing my own big bowl to compensate for those tiny little dessert bowls they set out. BUT, shouldn't you have more in your catering arsenal than just chicken, potatoes and cobbler?
Oh, wait. I forgot. This time they did have green beans instead of the squash from previous events.
But also, what the crap is up with not having sweet tea??? This is the dag-gum south, ya'll. You do NOT not offer sweet tea at ANY event. I'm sorry, but serving unsweet tea and placing "sweeters" on the table does not constitute a sweet tea option. Ever try to dissolve sugar into iced tea? Yeah. It's basic physics. Or chemistry. Or whatever. Sugar does NOT dissolve quickly or well (if at all!) into cold beverages. *dramatic sigh* At least they had water.
Oh, but they do redeem themselves by having good coffee and serving half and half with it instead of that non-dairy dusty powdered crap that most places have. Now that I think about it, I wish I'd just forgone the lunch and went straight to dessert and coffee. Next time. Also next time, I'm bringing a bigger mug with my larger bowl because tiny little cups just don't cut it when the coffee's good.
Anyway, yeah. I had to attend a fancy schmancy lunch thing today for our visiting speaker. Black cloth napkins and everything. I somehow only managed to embarrass myself once when my knife tried to divebom my lap. Fortunately(?) my plate caught it. Loudly. I'm real classy, doncha know. Guy across from me was nice enough to only lightly smirk.
Awesome.
And also? Buuurrp.
'Scuse me. ;-)
The university catering needs to develop some new recipes. The cheesy chicken breast and roasted potatoes are gettin' kinda old. I've been to three or four events this year and at each one they served the same cheesy chicken breast, the same roasted potatoes and the same apple cobbler.
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some apple cobbler and theirs is pretty dog-gone good. Good enough that I'd have loved to faceplant in it and lick the tray clean. And also good enough that I'm going to start bringing my own big bowl to compensate for those tiny little dessert bowls they set out. BUT, shouldn't you have more in your catering arsenal than just chicken, potatoes and cobbler?
Oh, wait. I forgot. This time they did have green beans instead of the squash from previous events.
But also, what the crap is up with not having sweet tea??? This is the dag-gum south, ya'll. You do NOT not offer sweet tea at ANY event. I'm sorry, but serving unsweet tea and placing "sweeters" on the table does not constitute a sweet tea option. Ever try to dissolve sugar into iced tea? Yeah. It's basic physics. Or chemistry. Or whatever. Sugar does NOT dissolve quickly or well (if at all!) into cold beverages. *dramatic sigh* At least they had water.
Oh, but they do redeem themselves by having good coffee and serving half and half with it instead of that non-dairy dusty powdered crap that most places have. Now that I think about it, I wish I'd just forgone the lunch and went straight to dessert and coffee. Next time. Also next time, I'm bringing a bigger mug with my larger bowl because tiny little cups just don't cut it when the coffee's good.
Anyway, yeah. I had to attend a fancy schmancy lunch thing today for our visiting speaker. Black cloth napkins and everything. I somehow only managed to embarrass myself once when my knife tried to divebom my lap. Fortunately(?) my plate caught it. Loudly. I'm real classy, doncha know. Guy across from me was nice enough to only lightly smirk.
Awesome.
And also? Buuurrp.
'Scuse me. ;-)
Comments
(I'm still trying to figure out where this huge mystery bruise on my inner left ankle came from. You'd think you'd remember obtaining something the size of a quarter!)
The chicken dish is definitely a hotel/university catering thing. Every "fancy" dinner I attended at Carroll was "chicken stuffed with something" -- otherwise known as chicken cordon bleu or chicken Kiev. Whatever happened to just plain old roasted chicken? Or chicken parmasiana? How about a little creativity people?
Sorry I can't empathize with you on the sweet tea, but feel free to share some of that cobbler. *g*
I guess the thing with the chicken is--it's cheap! lol I'd love some beef, though. I know they make these little mini-beef wellingtons as appetizers for non-sit down dinners. Something like THAT would be a great change from chicken. ;-)
I'm packing you up some cobbler, ASAP. Is it okay if it's virtual, though? hehehehe
Sounds like something I'd do.
I walked down the steps last week and skipped the last step, in heels. Luckily, I had my foot out enough to catch the ground and didn't fall. But it was like, BAM! Loud. And everybody looked.
Did I tell you my apartment was trying to kill me? It started two weeks ago with the bathroom door clubbing me below the left knee (don't even ask!). Then the coffee table tripped me, and I ended up pinwheeling over the end of it. Stayed on my feet, but it killed my back. And then the other night a kitchen chair bit me. Almost makes me afraid to sleep, lol.
Or, it's trying to tell you something...