How I Spent My Weekend
Friday Night.
I watched Bad Teacher on DVD Friday night. I'm not a huge Cameron Diaz fan but the trailer seemed to funny to pass up. I especially like when she gets hit in the face with the dodgeball. *snicker*
My take? Not bad. It was really laugh out loud funny in places although some parts were bordering on ridiculous. And while there's nothing really all that redeemable about any of the characters (I don't think there was supposed to be) there is a little bit of "redemption" in the end to make it a happy ending. However, if your expecting Diaz's character to suddenly become "Good" teacher, you'll be disappointed.
One thing I really wasn't all that crazy about in the film was the blatant drug use. Granted, I did watch the unrated version as opposed to the theatrical release. Not sure if the bulk of the nasty drug use was just in the unrated version or not. BUT, unlike a film or two that I quit watching because of it (I'm looking at you, Going the Distance) the drug use was actually funny and was mostly used to emphasize Diaz's "badness."
Best part about this film? Jason Segal. Love. Him.
Also, totally blew away my sugar-lite resolve with a box of chocolate covered almonds. I bought them to help E's daughter raise money for their school and then I ate the entire box. Well, not the box. More like the contents of the box. But you knew what I meant. Either way, it was a sugar-lite fail.
Saturday.
Saturday was our women's bible study brunch at church. Actually we call it Sisterhood. I took a sausage and cream cheese crescent roll square thing. (scramble sausage and mix with softened cream cheese. Roll out can of crescent rolls to form a rectangle and spread sausage/cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle grated cheddar and cover with another rectangle of canned crescent rolls. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until bread/crescent is golden brown.) There was also caramel french toast, lemon cookies, breakfast casserole, sausage balls, pigs in blankets and banana bread. I ate a little bit of everything. YUM.
Uncle R's wife, Gail, was our guest speaker. Her Bible study focus was on thankfulness and being thankful for what we have even though we often want more. Also, not comparing your blessings to the blessings of others and likewise, not trying to "out-struggle" someone else. We all have struggles in our lives and they are unique to each of us. No one person's struggle is any worse or any less than another's. It's all in perspective to each individual. And we're to be thankful even (and especially!) during times of struggle and heartache.
I think that's a subject everyone can relate to. Being thankful in times of struggle is HARD. And being thankful for what we have when we always seem to want more is HARD.
After the brunch, Gail and I went back to my house where Uncle R had been (finally!!) installing the light fixture in my bedroom as well as a new hardwired smoke detector. By the time we got there, he'd long since been finished and was kicked back in the recliner watching the Ole Miss/Arkansas game. (Blech! He's an Ole Miss fan. Blech!)
The light fixture looks great but I'm more thrilled with the new smoke detector more. I know that's weird. But the old one was falling out of the ceiling AND impossible to change the back-up battery in. The builder of my house (who apparently has no clue what he's doing) had screwed the old detector into the ceiling drywall instead of the junction box. Hence, it was falling out. (I wish I'd taken pictures!) And I never COULD change the back-up battery because the cover was stuck and the more I messed with it trying to get it open, the more it came out of the ceiling. Meaning: Since the battery was dying, the alarm would go off without provocation whenever it felt like it to remind me to change the battery.
Soooo, Uncle R installed the new one and screwed it into the junction box thing like you're supposed to! Now it's flush against the ceiling AND the back-up battery door can be easily opened with the flick of a tab. Uncle R said he tried it out and it's easy peasy. Yay!
So...SCORE!
After they left, I snuggled with the DP a bit and put a load of laundry in before hauling the little chest of drawers outside for a thorough sanding. I've been putting it off forever but I really need to get it sanded, stained and poly'd before the weather gets too cold. I spent probably two hours on it without complete success. I need some finer grit sandpaper sheets to tackle the tough spots but Daddy's sander only has to grits--100 and 150--with it. Wal-Mart only carries 60 and 100 grit for that particular sander so I guess I'll hafta try Lowe's and see what they've got. If they don't have anything that will work, I don't know what I'll do.
Once I gave up on that, I came in and switched out the laundry before settling in to finish Victoria Dahl's Bad Boys Do. Ya'll, that was a really great book. I'm a Vicky Dahl fan anyway, but this one ranks up there as one of her best. Filthy sex, a hot bartender in a kilt and lots of character growth are just the biggest of the best elements.
Once that was complete, I watched three hours of Gilmore Girls on Soapnet before realizing that I'd forgotten to go clean the church! (It's my month.) Ugh. So I had to quick run up there in the dusk of the evening and get that done. I admit, I rushed through it because it was coming up on dark and I do NOT like being up at the remote church after dark by myself. Seriously, ya'll, my church is located in the middle of nowhere and the closest neighbor is a quarter mile away around the corner. Well, not counting the hunting club but it's not deer season yet so it's vacant at the moment.
Not that anyone's ever been assaulted out there after dark but if someone were looking for an opportunity to rape, murder or otherwise torture an innocent 32-year-old chubby girl, that church after dark would provide the perfect setting.
I can't rightly recall what I did the rest of the evening. Flipped channels and hugged on Libby, I guess.
Sunday.
Yesterday was cold and rainy, a rather dismal and dreary looking day. Whether it was the rain, the cold or the fact that I was wearing pantyhose, I'm not sure, but for some reason I was half asleep through most of the church service. I'm sure the sermon was good and the bits that I wasn't half dozing through were thought provoking but Heaven help me, during each prayer I had to force myself to open my eyes at the end. And during the invitation time when we were standing with our heads bowed and our eyes closed I was seriously wondering if I was going to make it through without falling in the aisle asleep!
I was so tempted to go home and plant myself there for the long haul. But Mama had already fixed lunch and had it ready so I dragged myself and Libby to the folks house. She'd cooked a cheeseburger meatloaf (one of my faves) and fried some okra. Yum. Can't say that I'm sorry I went. Plus, after lunch Daddy and I vegged out in front of the Cooking Channel while Mama went to visit her parents.
Once home, I did pass out on the couch for about an hour and ended up not going to evening worship. I felt bad about that but I was snug and cozy beneath the fleece blanket I'd finally dragged out of the closet and just could NOT make myself get up and dressed and leave again. Just couldn't do it.
What I DID do was watch ABC's newest drama Once Upon a Time. Did anyone else watch? I thought it was pretty darn good. I love Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White and I think the premise is actually pretty interesting. I don't believe that the woman portraying Emma is 28 (looks closer to 38 to me) but I think there's definite potential for an interesting series.
Unfortunately, Sis2 called about halfway through wanting me to come up with some floral arrangements for her house before Efan's birthday party Saturday. Thankfully I had a blank DVD+RW in the player so I recorded what I missed and finished watching after Desperate Housewives went off.
But back to Sis2, I told her I'd think about what she could do but honestly, I'm just not in the seasonal decorating mood lately. I'm considering not even decorating for Christmas come November 25. I'll probably change my mind before then but I'm just not into it. Plus, I'd have to buy whatever flowers we used and I'm a little tapped out on fundage right now. Between birthday presents, insurance membership dues, and saving for Christmas, the green stuff is hard to come by right now.
Anyway, I didn't sleep all that great last night and woke up with a headache this morning. Still have it, actually. FUN.
Hope everyone else had a good weekend.
I watched Bad Teacher on DVD Friday night. I'm not a huge Cameron Diaz fan but the trailer seemed to funny to pass up. I especially like when she gets hit in the face with the dodgeball. *snicker*
My take? Not bad. It was really laugh out loud funny in places although some parts were bordering on ridiculous. And while there's nothing really all that redeemable about any of the characters (I don't think there was supposed to be) there is a little bit of "redemption" in the end to make it a happy ending. However, if your expecting Diaz's character to suddenly become "Good" teacher, you'll be disappointed.
One thing I really wasn't all that crazy about in the film was the blatant drug use. Granted, I did watch the unrated version as opposed to the theatrical release. Not sure if the bulk of the nasty drug use was just in the unrated version or not. BUT, unlike a film or two that I quit watching because of it (I'm looking at you, Going the Distance) the drug use was actually funny and was mostly used to emphasize Diaz's "badness."
Best part about this film? Jason Segal. Love. Him.
Also, totally blew away my sugar-lite resolve with a box of chocolate covered almonds. I bought them to help E's daughter raise money for their school and then I ate the entire box. Well, not the box. More like the contents of the box. But you knew what I meant. Either way, it was a sugar-lite fail.
Saturday.
Saturday was our women's bible study brunch at church. Actually we call it Sisterhood. I took a sausage and cream cheese crescent roll square thing. (scramble sausage and mix with softened cream cheese. Roll out can of crescent rolls to form a rectangle and spread sausage/cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle grated cheddar and cover with another rectangle of canned crescent rolls. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until bread/crescent is golden brown.) There was also caramel french toast, lemon cookies, breakfast casserole, sausage balls, pigs in blankets and banana bread. I ate a little bit of everything. YUM.
Uncle R's wife, Gail, was our guest speaker. Her Bible study focus was on thankfulness and being thankful for what we have even though we often want more. Also, not comparing your blessings to the blessings of others and likewise, not trying to "out-struggle" someone else. We all have struggles in our lives and they are unique to each of us. No one person's struggle is any worse or any less than another's. It's all in perspective to each individual. And we're to be thankful even (and especially!) during times of struggle and heartache.
I think that's a subject everyone can relate to. Being thankful in times of struggle is HARD. And being thankful for what we have when we always seem to want more is HARD.
After the brunch, Gail and I went back to my house where Uncle R had been (finally!!) installing the light fixture in my bedroom as well as a new hardwired smoke detector. By the time we got there, he'd long since been finished and was kicked back in the recliner watching the Ole Miss/Arkansas game. (Blech! He's an Ole Miss fan. Blech!)
The light fixture looks great but I'm more thrilled with the new smoke detector more. I know that's weird. But the old one was falling out of the ceiling AND impossible to change the back-up battery in. The builder of my house (who apparently has no clue what he's doing) had screwed the old detector into the ceiling drywall instead of the junction box. Hence, it was falling out. (I wish I'd taken pictures!) And I never COULD change the back-up battery because the cover was stuck and the more I messed with it trying to get it open, the more it came out of the ceiling. Meaning: Since the battery was dying, the alarm would go off without provocation whenever it felt like it to remind me to change the battery.
Soooo, Uncle R installed the new one and screwed it into the junction box thing like you're supposed to! Now it's flush against the ceiling AND the back-up battery door can be easily opened with the flick of a tab. Uncle R said he tried it out and it's easy peasy. Yay!
So...SCORE!
After they left, I snuggled with the DP a bit and put a load of laundry in before hauling the little chest of drawers outside for a thorough sanding. I've been putting it off forever but I really need to get it sanded, stained and poly'd before the weather gets too cold. I spent probably two hours on it without complete success. I need some finer grit sandpaper sheets to tackle the tough spots but Daddy's sander only has to grits--100 and 150--with it. Wal-Mart only carries 60 and 100 grit for that particular sander so I guess I'll hafta try Lowe's and see what they've got. If they don't have anything that will work, I don't know what I'll do.
Once I gave up on that, I came in and switched out the laundry before settling in to finish Victoria Dahl's Bad Boys Do. Ya'll, that was a really great book. I'm a Vicky Dahl fan anyway, but this one ranks up there as one of her best. Filthy sex, a hot bartender in a kilt and lots of character growth are just the biggest of the best elements.
Once that was complete, I watched three hours of Gilmore Girls on Soapnet before realizing that I'd forgotten to go clean the church! (It's my month.) Ugh. So I had to quick run up there in the dusk of the evening and get that done. I admit, I rushed through it because it was coming up on dark and I do NOT like being up at the remote church after dark by myself. Seriously, ya'll, my church is located in the middle of nowhere and the closest neighbor is a quarter mile away around the corner. Well, not counting the hunting club but it's not deer season yet so it's vacant at the moment.
Not that anyone's ever been assaulted out there after dark but if someone were looking for an opportunity to rape, murder or otherwise torture an innocent 32-year-old chubby girl, that church after dark would provide the perfect setting.
I can't rightly recall what I did the rest of the evening. Flipped channels and hugged on Libby, I guess.
Sunday.
Yesterday was cold and rainy, a rather dismal and dreary looking day. Whether it was the rain, the cold or the fact that I was wearing pantyhose, I'm not sure, but for some reason I was half asleep through most of the church service. I'm sure the sermon was good and the bits that I wasn't half dozing through were thought provoking but Heaven help me, during each prayer I had to force myself to open my eyes at the end. And during the invitation time when we were standing with our heads bowed and our eyes closed I was seriously wondering if I was going to make it through without falling in the aisle asleep!
I was so tempted to go home and plant myself there for the long haul. But Mama had already fixed lunch and had it ready so I dragged myself and Libby to the folks house. She'd cooked a cheeseburger meatloaf (one of my faves) and fried some okra. Yum. Can't say that I'm sorry I went. Plus, after lunch Daddy and I vegged out in front of the Cooking Channel while Mama went to visit her parents.
Once home, I did pass out on the couch for about an hour and ended up not going to evening worship. I felt bad about that but I was snug and cozy beneath the fleece blanket I'd finally dragged out of the closet and just could NOT make myself get up and dressed and leave again. Just couldn't do it.
What I DID do was watch ABC's newest drama Once Upon a Time. Did anyone else watch? I thought it was pretty darn good. I love Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White and I think the premise is actually pretty interesting. I don't believe that the woman portraying Emma is 28 (looks closer to 38 to me) but I think there's definite potential for an interesting series.
Unfortunately, Sis2 called about halfway through wanting me to come up with some floral arrangements for her house before Efan's birthday party Saturday. Thankfully I had a blank DVD+RW in the player so I recorded what I missed and finished watching after Desperate Housewives went off.
But back to Sis2, I told her I'd think about what she could do but honestly, I'm just not in the seasonal decorating mood lately. I'm considering not even decorating for Christmas come November 25. I'll probably change my mind before then but I'm just not into it. Plus, I'd have to buy whatever flowers we used and I'm a little tapped out on fundage right now. Between birthday presents, insurance membership dues, and saving for Christmas, the green stuff is hard to come by right now.
Anyway, I didn't sleep all that great last night and woke up with a headache this morning. Still have it, actually. FUN.
Hope everyone else had a good weekend.
Comments
As for the chocolate covered almonds... Dude, those are actually sort of healthy. I mean, they're nuts, which are loaded with protein, plus you have all those antioxidents in the chocolate. So, totally healthy. : D
BTW, have you tried the cocoa covered almonds? *I faint*
Hate that you had a headache. Hubby and I BOTH had headaches yesterday. Musta been in the air. Yuck.
There was definitely something in the air yesterday. I had the worst headache by the time I got home yesterday, and my neck was really sore, too.
Felt a little better after lying down a bit--at least enough to enjoy Castle. OMG, that was one of the best episodes ever, one I think you would have enjoyed. It was a "ghost hunter" episode, which made me think of you. *G*
Heather~I saw the first 10-15 minutes of Castle last night. Would have watched the rest but with the headache and early rise time, I had to head to bed. Shoulda recorded, though, cause I'll just about BET they proved that it wasn't a ghost moving that tripod, didn't they? lol