Exhaustified
One would think that one would experience rest and relaxation during a five day weekend. One would be wrong.
I'm exhaustified. No more so than I was BEFORE Thanksgiving break, but I'd hoped to feel BETTER. Not THE SAME. But such is life.
Wednesday I stayed home most of the day just me and the Devil Pup. We watched a few episodes of something on HGTV (I think) and ate a disgusting bowl of oatmeal for breakfast because I'd bought oatmeal for this sweet potato casserole recipe and since it only called for like, a quarter cup or something, I knew I'd have a buttload of oats left and I may as well try to eat them, right? (Why hello, run on sentence.) I doctored them up with the maple syrup I'd also bought for the recipe as well as some brown sugar and a handful of pecans. It would have been delicious if I'd left out the oatmeal. Next time, I'll know.
Anyway, I finally got around to staining the little chest of drawers and the top of the drafting table. I did it inside because it was humid outside and ya'll...THE FUMES!! I'm still a little high even after opening all the windows and turning on the ceiling fan. BUT, most of the chest came out awesome. Except for the top.
Here's where I'd show you pictures if I'd taken any. I never even so much as pulled my camera out of my work bag all weekend. Not to take pictures of the chest, the drafting table, my family, my tree--nothin'! So. No pictures. Just trust me when I say, the top didn't take the stain well. I'll try to remember to photograph it tonight and show ya'll tomorrow. Cause the drafting table top didn't stain well either. It was a disaster. Just random splotches of no stain. *sigh* Sometime next year I'll sand it down and try again but for now I'm sick of sanding and staining and want to just, I know, rest a while. Or something.
So anyway, after the staining and debating about why some parts took the stain well others didn't, I ate lunch and dove butt first onto the couch to mindlessly watch television with a warm and snuggly puppy. I don't even remember what I ate for lunch or if it tasted good or if I cooked it or what. I think I was seriously high at that point and lost a bit of the day. The next thing I really remember about Wednesday was driving twenty minutes just to get a burger and fries.
Yep. I drove twenty minutes into town to go to McDonald's for a Bacon Angus Cheesburger, fries and a Coke. I justified the trip as my personal Thanksgiving because otherwise it would have felt exceedingly ridiculous to drive twenty minutes just to go through a McD's drive-thru for a burger. But I've done stupider things so I call it good.
The burger was good, too. Hadn't had one in a while.
Oh! I just remembered what I did Wednesday afternoon. I went ahead and made this pie for Thursday. I will go ahead and tell you that not one single slice was eaten at our Thanksgiving lunch but Sis2, Goofus and I dug into it Thursday night and we all died of sugar overload. Seriously. I'm writing this post from my grave!!!
No, for real, it is a delicious concept and a good pie but Oh! The Richness! It's too much! So. Not a keeper.
Anyway, Wednesday night I...I can't remember. I know I watched Suburgatory on ABC and scoffed at Syfy for running Ghost Hunters reruns instead of a new show but I that's it. I wish I could say I spent the evening reading or writing poetry because that would make me sound so much more intelligent. But I think I mostly just vegged on the couch and contemplated my belly button.
Thursday I made a mess in my kitchen cooking the sweet potato casserole before jetting of to my grandparent's house. It was a seriously quiet (and dull) Thanksgiving lunch this year. There were only seven of us this year--Me, Mama, Uncle R and his wife, Uncle M and Ma-maw and Paw-paw H. No crazy cousins running in and out. No loud Aunts jabbering about junk. No crazy Unlce T making up junk for a laugh. Just lunch, an after lunch walk and standing around outside yelling at Maw-maw because she didn't have her hearing aids in.
Thursday night, Sis2's bunch of crazy came over to Mama's and we ate leftovers and talked and yelled "EFAN!!" twenty million times because seriously, ya'll, that boy is into EVERYTHING. lol
Friday we (Mama, Sis2, me, Granny and Aunt G) all trekked to the big flea market in Tupelo for the day. I didn't buy anything but an ornament ($1) and two bags of macadamia nuts at the second chance grocery thing there. ($2) But I spent $6 on breakfast and lunch and $3 for ice cream for me, Lyssa and Sis2. Oh yeah, Lyssa came with us. She was only interesting in seeing the various dogs for sale there. Otherwise she was "done." Twenty minutes after we go there she was all "I'm done Mama." We had to bribe her with the promise of more dogs to see and looking for movies--cheap DVD's. She did find an Ariel DVD (she's into mermaids, these days) and tried her darndest to talk her mama into an adorable discounted Pomeranian puppy. Alas, they came home puppy-less.
Meanwhile, all us old folks could hardly move by the end of the day. And Saturday it took me a good minute after I got out of bed to convince my legs to carry me to the bathroom.
So Saturday I got my tree up. Again--no pictures. I suck.
I think next year (or after Christmas sales?), though, I'm going to look into buying a smaller tree. The 7.5 footer is just too freakin' big for my tiny living room and it takes me too freakin' long to put it together. I really need like a five foot or something. Maybe cave and get a pre-lit one that comes in two or three sections. Ding, dang, done. Easy peasy.
Yesterday it rained all day so after church I snuggled in at the folks' house and ate lunch and watched Food Network while we took turns napping.
And today...Today we're under a winter weather advisory. For realz...They're talkin' SNOW. In November...IN MISSI-freakin'-SSIPPI!
I could use the snow day off work, though, so I'm actually crossin' my fingers we wake up to a flippin' blizzard tomorrow morning. Not likely but a girl can dream, right?
I'm exhaustified. No more so than I was BEFORE Thanksgiving break, but I'd hoped to feel BETTER. Not THE SAME. But such is life.
Wednesday I stayed home most of the day just me and the Devil Pup. We watched a few episodes of something on HGTV (I think) and ate a disgusting bowl of oatmeal for breakfast because I'd bought oatmeal for this sweet potato casserole recipe and since it only called for like, a quarter cup or something, I knew I'd have a buttload of oats left and I may as well try to eat them, right? (Why hello, run on sentence.) I doctored them up with the maple syrup I'd also bought for the recipe as well as some brown sugar and a handful of pecans. It would have been delicious if I'd left out the oatmeal. Next time, I'll know.
Anyway, I finally got around to staining the little chest of drawers and the top of the drafting table. I did it inside because it was humid outside and ya'll...THE FUMES!! I'm still a little high even after opening all the windows and turning on the ceiling fan. BUT, most of the chest came out awesome. Except for the top.
Here's where I'd show you pictures if I'd taken any. I never even so much as pulled my camera out of my work bag all weekend. Not to take pictures of the chest, the drafting table, my family, my tree--nothin'! So. No pictures. Just trust me when I say, the top didn't take the stain well. I'll try to remember to photograph it tonight and show ya'll tomorrow. Cause the drafting table top didn't stain well either. It was a disaster. Just random splotches of no stain. *sigh* Sometime next year I'll sand it down and try again but for now I'm sick of sanding and staining and want to just, I know, rest a while. Or something.
So anyway, after the staining and debating about why some parts took the stain well others didn't, I ate lunch and dove butt first onto the couch to mindlessly watch television with a warm and snuggly puppy. I don't even remember what I ate for lunch or if it tasted good or if I cooked it or what. I think I was seriously high at that point and lost a bit of the day. The next thing I really remember about Wednesday was driving twenty minutes just to get a burger and fries.
Yep. I drove twenty minutes into town to go to McDonald's for a Bacon Angus Cheesburger, fries and a Coke. I justified the trip as my personal Thanksgiving because otherwise it would have felt exceedingly ridiculous to drive twenty minutes just to go through a McD's drive-thru for a burger. But I've done stupider things so I call it good.
The burger was good, too. Hadn't had one in a while.
Oh! I just remembered what I did Wednesday afternoon. I went ahead and made this pie for Thursday. I will go ahead and tell you that not one single slice was eaten at our Thanksgiving lunch but Sis2, Goofus and I dug into it Thursday night and we all died of sugar overload. Seriously. I'm writing this post from my grave!!!
No, for real, it is a delicious concept and a good pie but Oh! The Richness! It's too much! So. Not a keeper.
Anyway, Wednesday night I...I can't remember. I know I watched Suburgatory on ABC and scoffed at Syfy for running Ghost Hunters reruns instead of a new show but I that's it. I wish I could say I spent the evening reading or writing poetry because that would make me sound so much more intelligent. But I think I mostly just vegged on the couch and contemplated my belly button.
Thursday I made a mess in my kitchen cooking the sweet potato casserole before jetting of to my grandparent's house. It was a seriously quiet (and dull) Thanksgiving lunch this year. There were only seven of us this year--Me, Mama, Uncle R and his wife, Uncle M and Ma-maw and Paw-paw H. No crazy cousins running in and out. No loud Aunts jabbering about junk. No crazy Unlce T making up junk for a laugh. Just lunch, an after lunch walk and standing around outside yelling at Maw-maw because she didn't have her hearing aids in.
Thursday night, Sis2's bunch of crazy came over to Mama's and we ate leftovers and talked and yelled "EFAN!!" twenty million times because seriously, ya'll, that boy is into EVERYTHING. lol
Friday we (Mama, Sis2, me, Granny and Aunt G) all trekked to the big flea market in Tupelo for the day. I didn't buy anything but an ornament ($1) and two bags of macadamia nuts at the second chance grocery thing there. ($2) But I spent $6 on breakfast and lunch and $3 for ice cream for me, Lyssa and Sis2. Oh yeah, Lyssa came with us. She was only interesting in seeing the various dogs for sale there. Otherwise she was "done." Twenty minutes after we go there she was all "I'm done Mama." We had to bribe her with the promise of more dogs to see and looking for movies--cheap DVD's. She did find an Ariel DVD (she's into mermaids, these days) and tried her darndest to talk her mama into an adorable discounted Pomeranian puppy. Alas, they came home puppy-less.
Meanwhile, all us old folks could hardly move by the end of the day. And Saturday it took me a good minute after I got out of bed to convince my legs to carry me to the bathroom.
So Saturday I got my tree up. Again--no pictures. I suck.
I think next year (or after Christmas sales?), though, I'm going to look into buying a smaller tree. The 7.5 footer is just too freakin' big for my tiny living room and it takes me too freakin' long to put it together. I really need like a five foot or something. Maybe cave and get a pre-lit one that comes in two or three sections. Ding, dang, done. Easy peasy.
Yesterday it rained all day so after church I snuggled in at the folks' house and ate lunch and watched Food Network while we took turns napping.
And today...Today we're under a winter weather advisory. For realz...They're talkin' SNOW. In November...IN MISSI-freakin'-SSIPPI!
I could use the snow day off work, though, so I'm actually crossin' my fingers we wake up to a flippin' blizzard tomorrow morning. Not likely but a girl can dream, right?
Comments
I'm supposed to be all rested and stuff. I'm supposed to be ready to face the world. But....not so much.
I checked out the fudge pie recipe...oh my goodness...it sounds so delicious. It made my teeth hurt and I gained three pounds just reading it!
Aunt B~I know, right? lol
No snow day, unfortunately. Just still a lot of cold rain. *pout*
Of course, oatmeal is also good for baking cookies, either with chocolate chips or raisins. Mmmm...
If you thought you were tired from visiting the flea market, you definitely did NOT want to be with us. Yes, we did the crazy Black Friday thing, beginning at 10pm Thursday night. Ugh!
We took naps after everyone left and we had cleaned up the kitchen. Then hit Wal-Mart, target and Boston Store before going back and sleeping three hours before going out again for a few hours. And then we were out again Friday evening and twice on Saturday. We also watched a lot of movies, though, Friday and Saturday. I was sooooo tired Sunday night.
Meanwhile, you could not PAY me to do the whole Black Friday madness. The flea market was more than plenty for me. Besides, it's two huge furniture market buildings worth of shopping that we spent six hours straight at so I think it's safe to say that on this, at least, we can call it even. ;-)