Blaming Christmas
It's all Christmas's fault that I...
...have taken a long lunch every day this week, plus last Friday. And that I ate out all four of those days. Christmas makes people need to get together to EAT. Christmas is about Jesus and food. Apparently.
...baked two batches of coconut oatmeal bars (Recipe tomorrow, maybe. If I remember to bring it.) and kept one batch at home to eat and brought one to work for yesterday's dessert social. The one at home is halfway gone and I baked it Saturday night. It was a 9x13 pan full. Now reduced to half that. Probably LESS than half that, if I'm being entirely honest.
...have not vacuumed the bedroom carpet in TWO MONTHS. Yes. You can blame decorating for Christmas on chores you've neglected since the middle of October even though you didn't actually start decorating until the first weekend in December. I said so, that's why.
...have four pounds of sausage defrosting in my fridge next to four bags of preshredded cheese. Yes, Virginia, it's sausage ball time again. And my work buddies don't know it yet, but that's all they're getting from me this Christmas. I usually bake them an assortment of goodies (cookies, ranch oyster crackers and whatever else I come up with) but this year? Well, I'm focusing my extra dough on family and charity (Lottie Moon Christmas offering for foreign missions is in December, ya'll!) and also, I'm lazy. But. Thankfully they're only nice to me the other eleven months of the year because of the sausage balls anyway so I doubt they'll even miss the other junk.
...got an inch cut off my hair Monday. Apparently I hadn't had it trimmed since LAST CHRISTMAS so it was well past time. An inch, ya'll, just to nab all the nasty split ends. Prior to that, though, my hair was dangling just past my bra-line. (Mid-back, for all you who don't know where the bra-line is. hehe) Now it's right AT my bra-line. Longest I've had it in YEARS. I think. But I never notice my hair until Christmas. Got to look good for all the Christmas photos, you know.
...spent thirty minutes yesterday making out the grocery list of items JUST FOR this years baking day with Sis2. Which I will be hosting at my house this year. In my tiny kitchen. JOY. Did I tell ya'll this already? It's next Wednesday. Ya'll pray.
...just pre-ordered THREE copies of The Pioneer Woman's new cookbook that doesn't come out until March. One for me and one for both of the sisters. Because I NEEEEED a new cookbook and since I introduced her last one to them a couple of Christmas's ago I was feeling generous in enabling them to remain hooked. I'm a cookbook enabler, I am. I may not give them their copies until next Christmas, though. It's called shopping early!
...am considering trying my hand at baking Grandmother Bread again. Something about Christmas makes me wish I were a domestic goddess who bakes homemade bread. What's up with that, Christmas?
...really want to run away from home until March.
What all does Christmas get the blame for with ya'll? Anybody else wishing you could celebrate it hidden away alone in a cozy cabin with a stack full ofnaughty books and a pantry full of Bailey's and Godiva?
...have taken a long lunch every day this week, plus last Friday. And that I ate out all four of those days. Christmas makes people need to get together to EAT. Christmas is about Jesus and food. Apparently.
...baked two batches of coconut oatmeal bars (Recipe tomorrow, maybe. If I remember to bring it.) and kept one batch at home to eat and brought one to work for yesterday's dessert social. The one at home is halfway gone and I baked it Saturday night. It was a 9x13 pan full. Now reduced to half that. Probably LESS than half that, if I'm being entirely honest.
...have not vacuumed the bedroom carpet in TWO MONTHS. Yes. You can blame decorating for Christmas on chores you've neglected since the middle of October even though you didn't actually start decorating until the first weekend in December. I said so, that's why.
...have four pounds of sausage defrosting in my fridge next to four bags of preshredded cheese. Yes, Virginia, it's sausage ball time again. And my work buddies don't know it yet, but that's all they're getting from me this Christmas. I usually bake them an assortment of goodies (cookies, ranch oyster crackers and whatever else I come up with) but this year? Well, I'm focusing my extra dough on family and charity (Lottie Moon Christmas offering for foreign missions is in December, ya'll!) and also, I'm lazy. But. Thankfully they're only nice to me the other eleven months of the year because of the sausage balls anyway so I doubt they'll even miss the other junk.
...got an inch cut off my hair Monday. Apparently I hadn't had it trimmed since LAST CHRISTMAS so it was well past time. An inch, ya'll, just to nab all the nasty split ends. Prior to that, though, my hair was dangling just past my bra-line. (Mid-back, for all you who don't know where the bra-line is. hehe) Now it's right AT my bra-line. Longest I've had it in YEARS. I think. But I never notice my hair until Christmas. Got to look good for all the Christmas photos, you know.
...spent thirty minutes yesterday making out the grocery list of items JUST FOR this years baking day with Sis2. Which I will be hosting at my house this year. In my tiny kitchen. JOY. Did I tell ya'll this already? It's next Wednesday. Ya'll pray.
...just pre-ordered THREE copies of The Pioneer Woman's new cookbook that doesn't come out until March. One for me and one for both of the sisters. Because I NEEEEED a new cookbook and since I introduced her last one to them a couple of Christmas's ago I was feeling generous in enabling them to remain hooked. I'm a cookbook enabler, I am. I may not give them their copies until next Christmas, though. It's called shopping early!
...am considering trying my hand at baking Grandmother Bread again. Something about Christmas makes me wish I were a domestic goddess who bakes homemade bread. What's up with that, Christmas?
...really want to run away from home until March.
What all does Christmas get the blame for with ya'll? Anybody else wishing you could celebrate it hidden away alone in a cozy cabin with a stack full of
Comments
Yes, I cut it myself. Doesn't look too bad, either. It's still about shoulder length, so while I can no longer braid it, I can still twist it up in a chignon. Anything to get it off my neck!
I've been wanting to do a bit of baking myself. I picked up a few Quick Bread mixes on sale (plus I had a coupon--bonus!), and well...one of the mini pumpkin chocolate chip loaves is already history. Good thing I bought two boxes of that one, as I just took another out of the freezer. Also hoping to make fudge and my chocolate cherry clusters.
Happy baking!
Chocolate cherry clusters...YUM.
I hope you don't come back from Christmas sick, too! That's a horrible way to spend the holidays.