I Have Survived!

Hey, hey. I have survived.

That's as far as I get into a parody of that song. You're welcome.

What did I survive? The party, of course. Just barely, but I did survive.

I was actually off work Friday because I had to work Saturday. Joy. So Friday I did all my Saturday things. Grocery shopping, laundry, kitchen clean-up. I actually finally got around to vacuuming all the carpetted rooms. Grody doesn't even begin to describe how they were starting to look. Two words: Dog. Hair.

I also (finally) washed all the filters in my vacuum and rinsed the canisters and all that. They were pretty disgusting and clogged enough that the vacuum didn't pick up as much of the grody dog hair as it normally does. Now that all the filters are dry I need to re-vacuum.

Eh. Next week month.

Also swept the entire house. Haven't done that in a while either. Well, I've swept the kitchen and living room every weekend and sometimes mid-week (leaves/grass/dog hair demands it!) but beneath the dining table, down the hall, in the entry and the bathroom? Not so much.

Vacuuming and sweeping are excellent work outs, ya'll. Just in case you're looking for a new aerobic routine. Which, I did actually get up at 5 am (on my day off!) and do. I walked a mile with Leslie, took a shower and watched TLC for a bit before my grocery shopping expedition. (More on that shopping expedition later. Had it typed out here but it sorta hijacked the post so I'm posting it separately.)

Also walked a mile later that afternoon after a nap and three episodes of Khloe and Lamar. (God save us from the Kardashians!)

But back to my survival--the party went well. I actually ended up knowing everyone there except for maybe three people. I still mostly stayed in the kitchen with Emmy as we grazed the extra snacks that hadn't been put out for the party. I directed people to the bathroom or the coffee and assisted Sis1 in finding items in her "inventory" bags. So it wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

And Sis1 gave me a 50% discount on eyeshadow. Discounts are always a bonus. Even if the eyeshadow is barely visible on my lids. At least I didn't spend the full twenty-something dollars on three tiny things of invisible eyeshadow, though. I'd have been really pissed. I still kinda want my money back. :-/

After everyone left, I stayed and played with the kids for little while. Efan and I ate animal crackers and pretended there were snakes after us. He's very into pretend animals chasing him. Must be the boy in him. Lyssa begged me to stay longer and play My Little Pony cards with her. It was going on 6pm, though, and Libs was at home likely in desperate need to take a jaunt outside.

So I survived the dreaded party and did a good sisterly deed to keep peace in the family and all that junk. I'd say that she owes me but that's a debt I'd never be able to call up so I'll just save myself the disappointment. *shrugs*

Sunday I so wanted to go home after church and just veg. Those social things, even when they're not disastrous, wear me out. I even told Mama that I might not go to their house for the afternoon but by the time I got home and got changed out of my church duds, I had talked myself into going on and going. Sundays are the only time I ever get to see Daddy and the older and sicker he gets the more precious our time is together. Even though all we do is watch TV, nap in the recliners and discuss coffee preferences and our favorite things to order from Sonic. It's still precious time together that I realize I'll miss someday.

Oh, he's still fine and in remission but he's suffering side effects from his current treatment and stays really weak more often than not. And with any kind of cancer, you just never know when it will decide to take him. I'd rather sacrifice a Sunday afternoon of napping and lazing around at home than to regret not squeezing in every available opportunity while I have the chance.

Sorry. Didn't mean to go all melancholy on ya'll.

Anyway, I took Sunday off entirely from walking. I did okay on my food choices and portions, etc, though. I think I really need that one day off if I intend to keep this pace up for the rest of the year my life. It felt sort of deliciously naughty to sleep past 5am and fix a leisurely breakfast (Jen's sweet omelet recipe) and relax in the recliner with a cup of coffee with the Devil Pup in my lap. And it made getting up yesterday morning at 5am bearable.

As far as yesterday goes, though, it was a fun day. I skipped the protein shake lunch and walked over to the union (in the sleet!) with my friends for a salad and small panini. It was delicious and fun and a nice deviation from the ho-hum normal. And I didn't feel so bad about skipping the shake for a chewable meal out because it was a small salad and a half a sandwich. (Pepper jack chicken sammy with grilled chicken breast, tomato, onion and pepper jack cheese. YUM.) It may have topped out at 400-500 calories. Well, except for the Coke. Anyway, it was fun and it wasn't the two million calorie Panda Express we almost got. So I'm callin' it good.

Then I went to Micky D's after my dentist appointment and got a small fries and a small Coke. *shrug* And it was 6pm before I got home so I skipped the after work walk. Still, I have to be able to roll with the punches. It's not a setback. Just a deviation. This morning I was back up at 5am and sweating it out with Leslie.

And now that I've written a three million page dissertation and put you all to sleep for a long winter's nap, I'll stop.

HAPPY SMASH YOUR FACE INTO A VAT OF CHOCOLATE DAY!

XOXOXO :-)

Comments

JenMarie said…
Well, I'm glad you survived unscathed. ;)

And way to go with the better lunch option and getting back on track the next morning. I always tell myself that occasionally it's good to shake the body up food-wise. Keeps you from getting stuck. That's my story anyway.
Heather said…
Glad I'm not the only one who did a lot of cleaning over the weekend. The thing about being sick, even when "only" a cold, is that you tend to let things slide. So aside from a trip to the store, I took out the garbage, ran the dishwasher, swept bath and kitchen, scrubbed toilet and vanity (NOT with the same sponge...euw!), vacuumed, changed bedding, and did two loads of laundry.

And now I'm exhausted just from reliving it.

I also somehow got in a lot of reading, finishing two books and starting a third, and did some letter-writing and stitching while listening to the Grammy Awards. I think I only switched channels or left the room during two performances, lol.

Glad you survived your sister's party!
Jana said…
Jen~Absolutely! I think it's necessary to shake up food routines in order to keep from getting in that dreaded plateau stage. Shocks the metabolism. ;-)

Heather~I don't have the excuse of a cold or illness for letting things slide. *blushes* ;-) Glad you're feeling well enough to do all that, though!

The only Grammy performance I caught was Adele's. A happy accident. She's awesome.
Heather said…
There were actually quite a few good performances this year, Adele being only one of them. They also had awesome tributes to the Beach Boys, Glenn Campbell and Whitney Houston, and stellar performances by Bruce Springstein and Paul McCartney. Could have done without the freaky weird act by Nicki Minaj at the end, though.
Jana said…
Well, I was busy being romanced on Once Upon a Time and getting crazy with Desperate Housewives so I missed most of the Grammys. I turned it over at 9 and Adele had just come on stage so I watched her performance and then cut off the TV and went to bed. :-D

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today