Phantum Clock Setter



So, I don't know if my house is haunted or my VCR/DVD combo thingy is going nuts. Either way, it's kinda freaky when TWICE the previously unset clock on the VCR/DVD combo has been set and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I did not set it.

I haven't actually set the clock on the blasted thing in YEARS because every time I set it, the power goes out and unsets it.  The numbers are so small I can't read it from any point in the room other than with my face mere inches away, anyway. The process of re-setting it is more trouble than it's worth.

A few weeks ago, though, I noticed that instead of the --:-- it usually sports when the unit is off, it was sporting numbers. Granted, the time it was set for was ten hours behind the actual time, but how did the numbers get there to begin with? Unless Libby's grown some opposable thumbs (Trixie, is that right? opposable?? Spell check on here says no.) and taken an interest in technology.

One might suspect that perhaps Daddy (who has a key to my house) was messing with me. Except I'm the one who has to install all his electronics and set them when they need installing or setting. And this particular unit stumps even me, at times so I don't really see him doing it.

Anyway, the power went out last Friday for about thirty minutes so when the power came back on, the clock was again sporting it's infamous --:--. Then three days later, it was set again. And again, about ten hours behind the actual time.

Weird.

If it's a malfunction of the unit, it's strange malfunction. And if it's a ghost, I guess I'm glad that setting clocks is about as bold as he/she gets.

Speaking of ghosts, though, something tragic has happened in Jana-land. GRANT IS LEAVING GHOST HUNTERS. Waaaahhhhh!

To have lost Zachary Levi (Chuck) and Grant all in one year (and it's only February?) is almost too much to bear.

I know. Dramatic much? ;-)

Comments

JenMarie said…
Weird...maybe it sets itself from the tv? When your tv connects, it updates? But then it'd have to be set for a different time zone, which is unlikely.

Most possible explanation? You sleepwalk...and are brilliant when you do.... ;)LOL
Aunt B said…
That is very spooky, Jana. But, it appears to be a benevolent ghost who thinks it's doing you a favor! :) Now, wish me luck figuring out the.....whatamacallit thingy down below that thinks I'm a robot. second try...
Heather said…
I'd say it sets itself. I've noticed my alarm clock will do this. When the power goes out, it "sets" the time at midnight when it comes back on, and adds flashing minutes until I set it correctly.
Jana said…
Jen~I'll hafta ask Libby if she's seen her mama sleepwalking lately. ;-)

Aunt B~Ack! Sorry the new word verification thing is so difficult. I struggle with it, too.

Heather~I've had alarm clocks do that flashing "set" to.

Thing is, I've had this unit for...oh gosh...YEARS. I was living in the lake house when I got it. 2004? 2005? Stopped setting the time on it not long after I got it. It's never done this in all the years I've had it. That's why it struck me as odd. If it were a new unit I might think it was programmed to do that whenever it lost power. *shrugs*

I'd call GH to investigate but now that Grant's not with them anymore, it wouldn't be any fun. *sniffle*
Heather said…
Speaking of phanton clock setting...

I was gone over the weekend. Got in about 7:30 last night to find the stupid power had blipped again. This has been happening a lot more frequently here lately, and it's really annoying because the power blinks off and right back on again--not a true outage, just long enough to shut down your computer (if you are unfortunate to be on it at the time) and force the resetting of all clocks.

Anyway, this is when I notice that the alarm clock attempts to reset itself, when the power blinks off and back on right away. Judging by the time on the clock, it looked like it happened about four hours before I got home. Methinks they need to check that stupid transformer of ours.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today