Five, Six, Pick up Sticks

My yard is a depressing mass of weeds, the likes of which I don't usually see until sometime in April/May. On overgrown mess. Unfortunately that means my lawn guy (aka DADDY!) needs to unearth the lawn tractor from it's slumber and de-weedify my 1.5 acres. However, before he can do that, I had to do some major clean-up in the yard.

You know the worst thing about owning property with trees on it? Trees are a big blistering mess! Winter is hard enough on trees but add in all the blustering windy and bad storms we've had over the past several months? Fuggetabot it.

So. Yeah. Instead of walking a couple or three miles Saturday I hauled on my boots and work gloves and hiked around my 1.5 acres picking up limbs and sticks for two hours. I wrestled with the wheel barrow (on it's almost flat tire!) making about four trips to the brush pile in the back. I sweated, nearly blew my back out and got a wee bit dehydrated but by George, I got the sticks picked up! Well, most of them. There's still a depressing lot beneath the pine trees that needs picking up but he won't need to mow under there for a while yet so it can wait until I hit a second wind.

It was dag-gum hot outside Saturday, too. Nearly 90 degrees at 9:30 am.

I have pictures of the DP frolicking around the dearth abundance of weeds in the yard but I was in a hurry this morning and forgot the camera at home. I'll try to remember to bring it tomorrow. She's enjoying chasing the various flying bugs that have set up shop outside the carport, too. I keep telling her that if she ever catches a horsefly or a wasp she's gonna wish she hadn't. But like most children, she thinks I'm a blithering idiot and does whatever she wants anyway.

Daddy and I were lounging around at the folks' house yesterday afternoon. I had a slight headache so I had deliberately kicked back and fallen asleep when I was suddenly jerked awake by him yelling into the kitchen at the DP. I jerked up, 'What's she doing?"

"Digging around in the water bowl again," he huffed and shouted, "Libby, stop that!" again.

I, knowing my odd little fluffy butt got up and went to check on her because she only does that when there's something in the water dish she wants OUT of the water dish. Usually trash of some sort.

"She really doesn't listen, does she?" Daddy complained to which I responded, "No, she's deaf when she wants to be." Because you could yell at that pup till you pass out and if she doesn't want to hear you, she won't. But when you're trying to sneak through the house to take an aspirin in the middle of the night, she'll hear your foot hit the carpet before you're even out of the bed and start whining for you to let her out of her crate.

Anyway, turns out there was a piece of dog food in the water dish and she wanted it. So I plucked it all all gross and mushy and she ate it! Blergh.

I had a decent weekend save for some tooth/gums issues that led to a headache. If such a thing is possible, I think I've been having some sort of allergic reaction to the temporary crown the dentist put in a couple of weeks ago. The only time I'm not completely miserable is when I'm eating, drinking or sleeping. So I did a lot of all three this weekend after picking up sticks Saturday morning. Saturday was, I think, the worst day of the tooth/gums issue though yesterday was pretty bad. Today has been much less painful but still annoying.

Ooo, speaking of pains, ya'll recall how I was nominated to be in charge of the church cemetery last month? Well, yesterday they nominated and voted in an assistant for me. She's a woman I have to try very hard to feel the Christian love for and she's already decided to take over the whole project. *sigh* I'm going to do the very best I can with a less than ideal situation so ya'll please pray.

I did take a walk around the cemetery Saturday afternoon. This month is my month to clean the church so after I finished vacuuming and dusting inside, I walked out to the cemetery and said hello to some of the folks I knew as a child who have since passed on to be with Jesus. Picked up some of the random floral arrangements that had flown off during recent storms. Picked up a few statues and stuff that had blown over as well. Carried off a pot of dirt from a long dead plant left at one grave. Just generally checking on things. I used to walk that cemetery a lot as a child and I recall quite clearly the old man who used to be the keeper. He used to walk it all the time and would periodically completely clean off all the abandoned and faded silk flowers and the dead flowers, too.

Unfortunately I came across a couple of stones that had fallen over and cracked. My first instinct was to try and pick them up but ultimately left them. The maintenance person would likely be the one to take care of that come mowing time.

I took a few pics but...yeah. I'll upload them tomorrow, too.

So. Lots to look forward to this week!

Not to mention the fact that I am practically trembling with anticipation for Friday because I'm...OFF! Counting down the minutes, I am. ;-)

Comments

Heather said…
I don't know any home owner who would complain of a dearth of weeds. A dearth of green grass, or flowers perhaps.

The grass is finally starting to green up here, and people are anxious to get out in their yards and dig and plant. I saw a few people during last night's walk picking up sticks and clearing away dead leaves, but not too many flowers in bloom yet. I'm sure it won't be long!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today