Spring Break
It's spring break around here. All the "kiddies" have fled for parts unknown leaving campus a ghost town. Even though the "kiddies" are obviously my bread and butter I do so rejoice when they are gone. I know. I'm terrible.
Thank goodness I can cross the street without nearly getting run over. Much. ;-)
There is a certain relief when campus is quiet and all the students are off having fun. (Or studying, as the case may be for many.) Campus is so calm and peaceful. Everyone who's left behind sort of breathes deeper and more relaxed. Not so much rushing from one thing to the next. Not slacking, but just not rushing either. It's a nice respite.
It's difficult to fathom, though, that once everyone is back next week, there are only five weeks left of the semester! It seems we just got back from Christmas and already it's nearly time for summer sessions. I don't see how they keep up with that pace. I don't recall how I ever kept up with that pace. Though the fact that that was nearly eleven years ago hasn't escaped me.
I'd say I feel old, but I really don't. Other than my knees being crap, I still feel twenty-two. :-D
Speaking of my knees, they're both feeling so much better. Still a twinge here or there but for the most part, they aren't bad. I managed to go back to Leslie's "gentle" (as in "gently kick my butt") one mile walk this morning and so far no negative side effects. Apparently the little mini-break did it some good. Though I must confess--I didn't entirely give up walking to rest it. After about four days of "rest" I went back to Denise Austin's easy walk and her trim and tone (the one with weights) as they are both less stressful on the knees but still give a nice one mile walk. I've also kept up the stretches.
Yesterday I came across a different Denise Austin DVD on Amazon that's supposed to be a good beginners aerobics workout. Instead of buying it, though, I put it on my Netflix queue instead. (Three cheers for Netflix!) Give it a test run first. I'm hoping it's a lot like the workouts she used to have on Lifetime in the mornings. The first time I lost a bit of weight I would record it in the mornings and work out with it in the evenings and it was an awesome workout. Easy on the joints but good at raising the heart rate. If it's not, I can save myself the nearly $12. (Three cheers for smart thinking.)
Meanwhile, yesterday I had a sort of--I don't want to call it a falling off the wagon--maybe just a minor fall back into old habits. I was sort of pouty about something that happened at work so I crossed the street to the building with a vending machine and got a bag of Cheetos and a Coke. I KNOW. I maintained the rest of my healthy meals and stuff the rest of the day but that six hundred calorie set back can't have been good for me. It could have been worse. At least I'm still rationing out my Girl Scout Cookies instead of clearing the box in one sitting!
Speaking of Girl Scout Cookies, though, I did something completely uncharacteristic with mine...I gave half of them away! *Eep!* Yes, I did. Mama never got around to ordering any and I had ordered three boxes (Samoas, Tagalongs and Thin Mints) so after mine came in, I just bagged up half of each box and sent them home with Mama for her and Daddy to enjoy. In the past I would have hoarded those puppies and inhaled them super quickly. But since I was afraid I'd still inhale them super quickly, I figured the damage wouldn't be as bad if I didn't have half of them to binge on. And so far I've managed to limit myself to one or two cookies a night.
So...Yay me!
Or, WTC, me? :-/
:-D
Thank goodness I can cross the street without nearly getting run over. Much. ;-)
There is a certain relief when campus is quiet and all the students are off having fun. (Or studying, as the case may be for many.) Campus is so calm and peaceful. Everyone who's left behind sort of breathes deeper and more relaxed. Not so much rushing from one thing to the next. Not slacking, but just not rushing either. It's a nice respite.
It's difficult to fathom, though, that once everyone is back next week, there are only five weeks left of the semester! It seems we just got back from Christmas and already it's nearly time for summer sessions. I don't see how they keep up with that pace. I don't recall how I ever kept up with that pace. Though the fact that that was nearly eleven years ago hasn't escaped me.
I'd say I feel old, but I really don't. Other than my knees being crap, I still feel twenty-two. :-D
Speaking of my knees, they're both feeling so much better. Still a twinge here or there but for the most part, they aren't bad. I managed to go back to Leslie's "gentle" (as in "gently kick my butt") one mile walk this morning and so far no negative side effects. Apparently the little mini-break did it some good. Though I must confess--I didn't entirely give up walking to rest it. After about four days of "rest" I went back to Denise Austin's easy walk and her trim and tone (the one with weights) as they are both less stressful on the knees but still give a nice one mile walk. I've also kept up the stretches.
Yesterday I came across a different Denise Austin DVD on Amazon that's supposed to be a good beginners aerobics workout. Instead of buying it, though, I put it on my Netflix queue instead. (Three cheers for Netflix!) Give it a test run first. I'm hoping it's a lot like the workouts she used to have on Lifetime in the mornings. The first time I lost a bit of weight I would record it in the mornings and work out with it in the evenings and it was an awesome workout. Easy on the joints but good at raising the heart rate. If it's not, I can save myself the nearly $12. (Three cheers for smart thinking.)
Meanwhile, yesterday I had a sort of--I don't want to call it a falling off the wagon--maybe just a minor fall back into old habits. I was sort of pouty about something that happened at work so I crossed the street to the building with a vending machine and got a bag of Cheetos and a Coke. I KNOW. I maintained the rest of my healthy meals and stuff the rest of the day but that six hundred calorie set back can't have been good for me. It could have been worse. At least I'm still rationing out my Girl Scout Cookies instead of clearing the box in one sitting!
Speaking of Girl Scout Cookies, though, I did something completely uncharacteristic with mine...I gave half of them away! *Eep!* Yes, I did. Mama never got around to ordering any and I had ordered three boxes (Samoas, Tagalongs and Thin Mints) so after mine came in, I just bagged up half of each box and sent them home with Mama for her and Daddy to enjoy. In the past I would have hoarded those puppies and inhaled them super quickly. But since I was afraid I'd still inhale them super quickly, I figured the damage wouldn't be as bad if I didn't have half of them to binge on. And so far I've managed to limit myself to one or two cookies a night.
So...Yay me!
Or, WTC, me? :-/
:-D
Comments
Speaking of exercise videos...have been meaning to ask if you have considered trying zumba. Friends who have done it all seem to love it. Kristi has it for Xbox, Kim for Wii...not sure if Rose has it on DVD or Xbox.
Anyway, they all love it, though have warned that some of the routines are more difficult than others. Seeing how you love to dance, I thought it might be something worth checking out on Netflix.
Jen~It takes a lot of resolve to hold yourself back something you know you could binge on, so don't sell yourself short! :)