Rockin' On
So this week has been an odd one, too. Not as weird as last week, but just still not quite the same-ol', same-ol'.
For one thing, I got a visit all the way from Japan! My friend L, who moved to Japan after graduation last year and has been teaching over there, has been home for a visit for about a week. She finally got around to eating with the ol' gang from work. Even Mrs. B came to lunch. It was like American Reunion up in here. Except with less vulgarity. And almost no nudity.
L is almost full on Japanese now and I wish I had taken a picture of her at lunch Wednesday...she looked like a tiny white Anime girl. Seriously. She's got the Anime/Manga fashion DOWN. And she's tiny. Ergo, tiny Anime girl.
When we were setting up our lunch date we told her she could pick the place. She came aaaaalllllll the way from Japan to eat Chinese, ya'll. And she ate with chopsticks. Show off. Seriously. Use a fork, tiny Anime girl. This is AMERICA. But she's fully entrenched in the whole Asian experience/culture these days, what with hopping buses to Tokyo every other day just because she can... (Following her facebook updates hasn't made me bitter. Nope. Not at all.)
It was fun, though. Been a while since the whole gang had been together. I miss the old gang. It was nice having Mrs. B around, too. I hadn't seen her since January when we took her out for her birthday.
Yesterday was a day of meetings. A nearly two hour meeting yesterday morning and then a couple hours later a two hour lunch meeting. Meetings are from hell, in case you never have the honor of being forced to attend them regularly. But the lunch at the lunch meeting was good. So there's that. But the meeting part? *snore*
I haven't walked but one day this week. Nyquil makes me too groggy to get up at 5am and laziness/coughing makes it difficult in the afternoons. The only reason I walked that one time was because I was a little high on an ego rush from having been hit on by the server at the bagel shop earlier in the afternoon.
Yeah. I got hit on with one of those lame pick-up lines that have been around forever. Actually, I think he was mostly just kidding around but I'm never sure about this stuff when it comes to guys so I don't actually know WHAT happened. But I blushed and went on an ego high for the rest of the day/evening.
What was the line?
"Did it hurt?" he asked as I handed my debit card over to pay for my stuff.
I looked at him, puzzled. "What?"
"Did it hurt?"
The girl working the register beside him rolled her eyes. I glanced at the psoriasis on my hand and thought, surely he's not asking me about my psoriasis, because it had gotten gross enough that I was becoming paranoid that people were beginning to think I was contagious.
"Did what hurt?" I asked him.
"When you fell from heaven."
I laughed and blushed a billion shades of red and stammered through the receipt exchange and basically RAN from the bagel shop. Except I couldn't run out immediately because I had to stop at the drink fountain to fill my cup before escaping. PAINFUL.
The reason I think he was probably just joking around is because he laughed, too. And teased me about my having blushed. So just joking, right? The fact that he was only around 20 or so also leads me to believe he was joking. Or maybe had a bet going? So if this were like a RomCom we'd end up falling in love, I'd find out it was a bet and we'd break up only to have a mushy "I can't live without you" ending because we realized how we met wasn't as important as much as that we loved each other to distraction and we'd live sappily ever after. Awe.
Thank GOD this isn't a RomCom.
I don't do mushy.
Except when I tell the DP she's the sweetest little stinky butt puppy in all the land--no, in all the HISTORY of the land.
But it's okay to be mushy with pups because basically if you never get a little sappy with your furbabies your heart is made of stone. Or ice. Whichever denotes the most heartlessness. An icy stone, perhaps?
The point is, even my rough and tough he-man of a redneck daddy gets mushy with Milo the wonder-dauchshon.
Oh! Also this week, I made donuts out of pizza dough. It's totally a thing. I saw Giada do it once. I'd have taken pictures but I ate them all. Except for the last one that was deformed. Guilt had set in by that time so to save myself I through** it away. In my defense, it only made four donuts so I only ate three. Plus the donut holes. *faceplant* (**I know it's actually "threw" but I'm leaving the typo just to give Trixie something to stew over and make fun of. Because I'm a good friend like that. hehehe)
Anyway, Mama tried to talk me into walking over to the union for lunch with her and a couple of her office mates/friends. I'm not really into the two office mates/friends she was planning on lunching with because, well, they're a couple of Negative Nancys. Soooooo melodramatic. And even though they are closer to my age than Mama's I just have nothing in common with them. For one thing, I'm just not as "cool" as they are. I get excited about stuff and am not afraid to show it. Also, I'm fine not having flippy hair and trendy clothes. I've never been able to pull off trendy OR flippy. So basically, I just can't hang with these girls and so I told Mama for them to all go on without me.
Except, after she couldn't talk me into going they decided they didn't want to go so Mama was disappointed. And I'm baffled. What? Like they need me around in order to go to lunch with my mother? They hang with her all the time at break and stuff.
People are odd ducks, ya'll. I swear I just don't understand them most of the time. And I put myself in that category, too, and I acknowledge my odd duckiness. I embrace it. But I also understand my own odd duckiness. Other folks'? Not so much. Because ya'll, I could swear those girls couldn't care less if I was even in the same hemisphere with them. If anything, I'd think my prospective presence would be a deterrent for them wanting to do something. Trust me. My presence has deterred enough people in my lifetime so I'm used to it. So what's up with the whole, "Oh. Well, I'll just grab something from the bagel shop instead" thing.
On a slightly different note, I just discovered that once they're melted? Mocha frappacinos are kinda gross. Don't ask me how I know. *Blech*
MEANWHILE...today is the last day of finals and this only affects me because...THE STUDENTS ARE LEAVING FOR THE SUMMER!!! Most of them, anyway. Summer school is way less crowded and anyone who's ever lived in a college town can attest to the fact that summers? Way less stressful. Retailers hate the summer with all the reduced revenue but honestly I'm more apt to shop and happy-go-lucky around town when the population has been drastically reduced.
Less traffic. *swoony sigh*
Also, you can't hear me? But I'm totally sobbing because I JUST found out that the student assistant I'd been rejoicing about graduating IS GOING TO BE AROUND FOR ANOTHER SEMESTER. Seriously, he's like a flea infestation you just can't get rid of. HE WON'T LEAVE. And he drives me bonkers and not in any good way at all. AND he's going to be here for 30 hours a week ALL SUMMER. *wracking sobs*
ANYway...I'm going to pretend that didn't just happen and instead wish ya'll a Happy Friday.
And for the win: I spelled "psoriasis" correctly on the FIRST TRY. I demand a cookie, Trix. :-D
For one thing, I got a visit all the way from Japan! My friend L, who moved to Japan after graduation last year and has been teaching over there, has been home for a visit for about a week. She finally got around to eating with the ol' gang from work. Even Mrs. B came to lunch. It was like American Reunion up in here. Except with less vulgarity. And almost no nudity.
L is almost full on Japanese now and I wish I had taken a picture of her at lunch Wednesday...she looked like a tiny white Anime girl. Seriously. She's got the Anime/Manga fashion DOWN. And she's tiny. Ergo, tiny Anime girl.
When we were setting up our lunch date we told her she could pick the place. She came aaaaalllllll the way from Japan to eat Chinese, ya'll. And she ate with chopsticks. Show off. Seriously. Use a fork, tiny Anime girl. This is AMERICA. But she's fully entrenched in the whole Asian experience/culture these days, what with hopping buses to Tokyo every other day just because she can... (Following her facebook updates hasn't made me bitter. Nope. Not at all.)
It was fun, though. Been a while since the whole gang had been together. I miss the old gang. It was nice having Mrs. B around, too. I hadn't seen her since January when we took her out for her birthday.
Yesterday was a day of meetings. A nearly two hour meeting yesterday morning and then a couple hours later a two hour lunch meeting. Meetings are from hell, in case you never have the honor of being forced to attend them regularly. But the lunch at the lunch meeting was good. So there's that. But the meeting part? *snore*
I haven't walked but one day this week. Nyquil makes me too groggy to get up at 5am and laziness/coughing makes it difficult in the afternoons. The only reason I walked that one time was because I was a little high on an ego rush from having been hit on by the server at the bagel shop earlier in the afternoon.
Yeah. I got hit on with one of those lame pick-up lines that have been around forever. Actually, I think he was mostly just kidding around but I'm never sure about this stuff when it comes to guys so I don't actually know WHAT happened. But I blushed and went on an ego high for the rest of the day/evening.
What was the line?
"Did it hurt?" he asked as I handed my debit card over to pay for my stuff.
I looked at him, puzzled. "What?"
"Did it hurt?"
The girl working the register beside him rolled her eyes. I glanced at the psoriasis on my hand and thought, surely he's not asking me about my psoriasis, because it had gotten gross enough that I was becoming paranoid that people were beginning to think I was contagious.
"Did what hurt?" I asked him.
"When you fell from heaven."
I laughed and blushed a billion shades of red and stammered through the receipt exchange and basically RAN from the bagel shop. Except I couldn't run out immediately because I had to stop at the drink fountain to fill my cup before escaping. PAINFUL.
The reason I think he was probably just joking around is because he laughed, too. And teased me about my having blushed. So just joking, right? The fact that he was only around 20 or so also leads me to believe he was joking. Or maybe had a bet going? So if this were like a RomCom we'd end up falling in love, I'd find out it was a bet and we'd break up only to have a mushy "I can't live without you" ending because we realized how we met wasn't as important as much as that we loved each other to distraction and we'd live sappily ever after. Awe.
Thank GOD this isn't a RomCom.
I don't do mushy.
Except when I tell the DP she's the sweetest little stinky butt puppy in all the land--no, in all the HISTORY of the land.
But it's okay to be mushy with pups because basically if you never get a little sappy with your furbabies your heart is made of stone. Or ice. Whichever denotes the most heartlessness. An icy stone, perhaps?
The point is, even my rough and tough he-man of a redneck daddy gets mushy with Milo the wonder-dauchshon.
Oh! Also this week, I made donuts out of pizza dough. It's totally a thing. I saw Giada do it once. I'd have taken pictures but I ate them all. Except for the last one that was deformed. Guilt had set in by that time so to save myself I through** it away. In my defense, it only made four donuts so I only ate three. Plus the donut holes. *faceplant* (**I know it's actually "threw" but I'm leaving the typo just to give Trixie something to stew over and make fun of. Because I'm a good friend like that. hehehe)
Anyway, Mama tried to talk me into walking over to the union for lunch with her and a couple of her office mates/friends. I'm not really into the two office mates/friends she was planning on lunching with because, well, they're a couple of Negative Nancys. Soooooo melodramatic. And even though they are closer to my age than Mama's I just have nothing in common with them. For one thing, I'm just not as "cool" as they are. I get excited about stuff and am not afraid to show it. Also, I'm fine not having flippy hair and trendy clothes. I've never been able to pull off trendy OR flippy. So basically, I just can't hang with these girls and so I told Mama for them to all go on without me.
Except, after she couldn't talk me into going they decided they didn't want to go so Mama was disappointed. And I'm baffled. What? Like they need me around in order to go to lunch with my mother? They hang with her all the time at break and stuff.
People are odd ducks, ya'll. I swear I just don't understand them most of the time. And I put myself in that category, too, and I acknowledge my odd duckiness. I embrace it. But I also understand my own odd duckiness. Other folks'? Not so much. Because ya'll, I could swear those girls couldn't care less if I was even in the same hemisphere with them. If anything, I'd think my prospective presence would be a deterrent for them wanting to do something. Trust me. My presence has deterred enough people in my lifetime so I'm used to it. So what's up with the whole, "Oh. Well, I'll just grab something from the bagel shop instead" thing.
On a slightly different note, I just discovered that once they're melted? Mocha frappacinos are kinda gross. Don't ask me how I know. *Blech*
MEANWHILE...today is the last day of finals and this only affects me because...THE STUDENTS ARE LEAVING FOR THE SUMMER!!! Most of them, anyway. Summer school is way less crowded and anyone who's ever lived in a college town can attest to the fact that summers? Way less stressful. Retailers hate the summer with all the reduced revenue but honestly I'm more apt to shop and happy-go-lucky around town when the population has been drastically reduced.
Less traffic. *swoony sigh*
Also, you can't hear me? But I'm totally sobbing because I JUST found out that the student assistant I'd been rejoicing about graduating IS GOING TO BE AROUND FOR ANOTHER SEMESTER. Seriously, he's like a flea infestation you just can't get rid of. HE WON'T LEAVE. And he drives me bonkers and not in any good way at all. AND he's going to be here for 30 hours a week ALL SUMMER. *wracking sobs*
ANYway...I'm going to pretend that didn't just happen and instead wish ya'll a Happy Friday.
And for the win: I spelled "psoriasis" correctly on the FIRST TRY. I demand a cookie, Trix. :-D
Comments
Glad you enjoyed dinner with your friend from Japan.
Oh, and regarding the college town/ghost town question? Definitely depends on the college town, 'cause this here city is anything but a ghost town during summer.
Obviously the college town/ghost town theory only works on small college towns. Madison, WI is a large city to begin with so of course summers aren't going to be any quieter once school is out. Tuscaloosa's the same way. (U of A) My little college town, though, isn't exactly a metropolitan area DURING school. We're actually a certified retirement community if that means anything to you. lol So once the kiddies are gone home for the summer, the population drops drastically.
The above comment was mine. *rolls eyes*
Oh, and enjoy your little ego high. SOMETHING Had to make him flirt with you. Even if he wasn't trying to pick you up, he could have flirted with anyone!
As for Tiny Anime girl, she didn't really talk about Japan all that much. She was more interested in hearing all the local gossip than sharing her adventures. I hafta read her facebook page for all that. Bad Tiny Anime girl. ;-)
(And yes, I do realize it's all relative to one's perspective. To me, Lake Michigan is just a very large lake, no big deal; to someone who has never seen it before, it's like gazing out across an ocean, lol.)
I'm used to tiny little towns built around tiny rural communities. So yeah, Lake Michigan would seem like gazing out across an ocean to me! :-D