My Daughter

No, I haven't given birth or adopted since yesterday. But I did have a funny moment happen Saturday when I was coming in to work.

I was running late for my 10am shift and when I finally got there my student assistant, Em, was coming around the atrium looking for me. She'd gotten there early--or on time--and had been waiting on me to come unlock the department.

So she runs to meet me and we walk down the hall together, chatting about my lateness and how much we'd both hated having to come in on a Saturday. When we rounded the corner to the side hall we met one of the custodians, Ms. A--a fabulously sweet woman, I might add. She and I usually exchange pleasantries when we cross paths. I love her because when she first came to work for the library, she came around to each department on our floor and introduced herself and made a point of being genuinely kind and offering her assistance should we ever need it. Most of the previous custodians barely deigned to give a grunt of acknowledgement, much less show any signs of friendliness. In the meantime, she's shown me pictures of her grandchildren and I've loaned her my scissors, pencils, etc.

So as Em and I pass her, we all greet each other and she says, "Oh, this must be your daughter."

It didn't register with me at first until Em explained that no, she was my student assistant. We all had a good laugh about it.

But...Em is 21 and going into her senior year of college. So, the question is...How the heck old do I look?? lol Granted, Em looks as though she's around 12. A tiny little thing.  But don't let me influence you. Judge for yourselves...


My daughter?

I literally would have been 12 when I had her. :-/

However...if I ever DO for some reason have a kid, I would actually want her to be a lot like Em. Em's awesome in the way that she never gripes about all the mundane things I ask her to do. For instance, she stood at the copier for THREE HOURS Saturday making photocopies for a patron. Three hours, ya'll. After 20 minutes I'm usually ready to quit and/or cry. But Em's a champ. ;-)

Comments

Heather said…
LOL...poor Jana. Can't say I've ever had that happen to me. I was carded at a movie a week after I turned 21, for Pete's sake. Yes, people thought I was only 16. I Sigh... I was still getting carded a decade later, though friends were not. Horrifying then, but almost gratifying when it happens now. ;-)
Jana said…
I've been carded off and on since I was 21 but I think I've always looked older or more mature than I am. When I was 12 I got into an R rated movie without being carded but my sister and our friend who were behind me, DID get carded.

I blame the extra padding. Makes me look old. *sob* ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today