Back to Basics--Weekend Review

Remember when I used to do play-by-plays of my weekends? You don't? Because you always fell asleep halfway through them? Well good. Settle in for a nice snooze because I think I need to get back to blogging the way I used to. Boring or not, I need to write the stuff that gets me through the day so here goes.

So, Friday was a stinky nasty awful day. I got into a verbal smack down heated discussion with a colleague that left me feeling rather...not great. So what did I do? I whined to anyone who would listen and self medicated with lots of food. Neither of which made me feel all that better about it. Not even the apology I eventually received from the colleague helped revive my mood. I understood why she behaved the way she had but the damage had already been done. Hate when that happens. But yeah. I ate honey walnut shrimp and orange chicken at Panda Express with my pal, A. Then Mama and I went to Captain D's for supper where I got the $5 seafood platter--four shrimp, one fish fillet and one stuffed crab with fries and slaw. Of course it was all delicious but didn't do much to help me out of my bad mood. Nope, that didn't happen until I got home and had a good long talk with Jesus. He always seems to know how to make me feel better.  I need to remember that more often.

Instead of mulling over it all night, I actually slept. I slept like a rock. I slept so hard I couldn't make myself get up as early as I'd intended. I'd planned on going to the slightly bigger town to shop but I'd needed to get up closer to 5 than 6 if I wanted to get there and back as early as I wanted. Instead, I slept till nearly 6:30 and went to the smaller town instead. And then I still didn't get back home until nearly 9am because I was having so much fun looking at stuff. Since I'd had to waste so much money on car repairs the previous week, I'd decided to treat myself to a little minor spending spree. Some retail therapy, if you will. I had a list of things that I'd been needing for a while but I only gave myself $100 to spend so I had to be really choosy about what I spent it on.

What did I get? Well, a new blender, for one. It's a $30 Black and Decker that came recommended by a blogger I follow and well, my old blender was a bazillion years old and hardly worked. Seriously. I bought it used at a yard sale the week before I moved into the lake house eleven years ago. It never worked properly, though, so I rarely ever used it. I needed a new one, though, because I want to start making smoothies. Several of the food blogs I follow post healthy smoothie recipes all the time and I'm all into trying that bandwagon. :)

I also bought a tub/shower drain strainer to catch my miles and miles of hair that kept clogging my tub/shower drain. Seriously. Digging out moldy hair from the tub drain is NOT my idea of a fun time and the strainer that I assume it used to have was long gone. So I invested in a $7 Peerless stainless drain strainer that involved/required no tools. Good news is! It works! It's already captured tons of miles long hair and kept it from clogging my drain. Totally worth seven bucks.

Also for the shower, I got a new curtain liner. My three-year-old liner was really grody and even bleach wasn't helping it anymore. $2.95 for a new clear plastic liner. Boom! I had to trim it, though, because it was too long. It also keeps billowing inward while I'm showering and clings to me. I think it's trying to find my face and smother me. Halp! (Yes, it has magnets/weights on it. No, those don't seem to help.) Next on my list (maybe for Christmas?) is one of those curved shower rods to prevent the whole billowing thing. E has one and she says it's so awesome that if she and her family ever move, she's taking her curved shower rod with her!

I was going to stop there and save the rest of my "fun money" for another day. I really want a new trashcan but the one I want is over $40 and I just can't seem to make myself spend that kind of money on something designed to hold garbage. But it's stainless and oh-so-pretty! *le sigh* So I was going to hold on to the money and sleep on it. But then I made the mistake of meandering through the clothing section and...They have their new collection of sweaters and cardigans out! And I found one exactly like I'd wanted to buy last year! And it was only $17 instead of the $25 they were last year! So I bought one!

Yes, I'm excited. Why do you ask?

Anyway, the cardigan is black and white with a cowl like lapel and no buttons or pockets--I hate pockets on cardigans. Professional enough to wear to work on cool fall/winter days but cozy enough to feel like I'm at home. And it's pretty. And soft. I wish it were cool enough to be wearing it right now.

So I still have $20 left and wouldn't  you know, I remembered that Sis2's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks so I saved it to buy her present. I'm actually assembling her a cookbook of all the recipes she's asked me for over the last couple of years but I figured I'd buy her a cookie scoop and one of those industrial style sheet pans she's been eyeing for a while now.

Anyway, back to Saturday. After I finally got all my shopping done (including $15 worth of various baking chips. What.) I picked up breakfast from Micky D's and dropped off recycling and headed home.

Oh wait, I do have a question. Is it/would it be awkward or weird for ya'll if suddenly more than one of your former high school classmates was now serving you your coffee and biscuits? Because this is totally happening to me. I'm like, "I sat next to you at graduation and you're working the drive-thru, handing me my chicken biscuit and cafe mocha?" I suppose it shouldn't be any weirder than if they came into the library and I helped them find a book or research a paper. But it feels weird. And not in a judgmental "I can't believe you're 33-years-old and working the MickyD's drive-thru" way. But in the, "I've known you since elementary school and haven't seen you since graduation and here you are taking my order for a white chocolate mocha" way.

And okay. Maybe a little of the "33-year-old working the drive-thru" thing. Hi. I'm a snob, apparently.

Also former classmates at Starbucks and Wal-Mart. Never fails to be weird.  It's like if one of them hired me to be their housekeeper and suddenly I was waiting on them. I guess that's what I'm getting at. These were my peers for 12 or so years. And they're serving me. Just feels awkward.

Ugh. I probably shouldn't publish that because it really does make me sound like a snot. But I am what I am, love me or hate me.

ANYway. As I pulled into my driveway and parked my car, my neighbor and two of their dogs crossed the yard and all I could think was, "Oh crap." Am I terrible that I really don't want to ever deal with any of my neighbors? I lived at the lake for seven years and never knew or met any of my neighbors. So this whole "neighbors who want to chat" thing just isn't fun for me. I'm a recluse and maybe slightly agoraphobic (isn't that the phobia of being around other people?) So he stopped just shy of my carport and informed me that they were smoking a hog and invited me to come over later to eat.

Now I don't really know these people. I've met the wife maybe three--possibly four times and have never actually "met" the husband so I don't even know his name. I've only spoken to him once before while I was pick up sticks close to the property line and he was doing whatever it is he does out there all the time. What I do know is that they often hang out on our property line and crank up the music and roar their 4-wheelers up and down the road when their friends are over and cut ruts in the gravel road. I also am pretty sure that their friends (who were already there for the hog, I guess) are the ones who cut ruts in the church's gravel parking lot and occasionally toss beer cans in my ditch.

The neighbors do seem friendly, though, so all that aside, I don't have anything against them--except maybe their dogs who poop in my yard. But I don't really want to hang out with their rowdy friends over a plate of bbq, either. So I smiled and thanked him and declined with a "Oh, I already have plans for a big pot of chili." He looked--bewildered. I guess he though hog would trump chili and that I'd been dying to be invited to one of their all nighters.

So then I felt guilty, like I should have given a non-committal "Maybe I will" or something. I don't know. I mean, the invite was kind. And I know they think I'm that weird lonely girl who never has anybody over. Poor thing, doesn't have any friends. So I felt bad for blowing them off with that piddling excuse of "a big pot of chili".

BUT, not guilty enough to change my mind and go over there. Because there's one thing I do know...I'd have been miserable. Sitting in the midst of a bunch of strangers who've probably discussed your weirdness at length on many occasions is the epitome of misery to a hermit who has to FORCE herself to attend church socials with people she's known most of her life.

So while I did stew over it a bit, I also finished ALL my laundry--including washing Libby's crate bedding AND removing and putting away all the towels.  I also cleaned the filthy disgusting kitchen, swept, vacuumed and cleared most of the junk off the dining table that had been accumulating for the past month. AND I got the chili in the crock pot AND made a batch of oooy gooey brownies. Then I vegged in the recliner with an icepack on my knee and a face full of devil pup kisses.

My left knee/leg is still giving me fits. Standing, sitting, laying down--it's all painful at some point. I don't know what's up with it but it's no fun at all. I've been icing it and popping ibuprofen and that helps but ugh. When  half your job is standing and stairs, it makes for a pretty sore time.

So anyway, Saturday night, I finished up Jennie Bently's Wall to Wall Dead. It was fabulous. No spoilers, though, for anyone who might not have read it yet. I also flipped channels and ate my weight in chili. And burped. A lot. TMI?

Sunday was, of course, church. After church I took the brownies (except for that one section I'd already eaten for breakfast) and went to the folks' house where we ate boneless country style ribs, fried okra and taters and watched a DVD.

Anyone else a Jason Statham fan? Because I am. And there's totally a shirtless Statham scene within the first twenty minutes. Unfortunately, that was the ONLY shirtless Statham scene in the whole movie. *sob* It lacked a lot of plot but you don't really watch a Jason Statham movie for plot. You watch a Jason Statham movie for all the butt kickings he do elegantly and proficiently he hands out to all the "bad guys." Seriously. His fight scenes are like poetry in bone crushing motion. haha

Jason Statham movies are one of those things Daddy and I bond over that nobody else really gets. But that's okay. We don't care. I like his action movies better than others' because, well, he's hot, but also because he somehow manages to kick some major bootay without a whole lot of "f" words.

Anyway, after the movie went off, I went home and started another book before heading back to church. I'm still off and on on the whole evening church thing but I managed to be ON this week. And it was a good service so I was glad I went. After church, I went home, ate more chili, watched Revenge and the Kardashians (Don't judge me.) and went to bed.

But wait...the Kardashians. I can't even...So Kourtney gave birth last night. Well, they aired that portion of her life anyway. And...and...She pulled. Her baby. Out of her vajayjay. Like, she just reached down there, grabbed the kid by the shoulders and finished pulling her out. I'm just...I can't even...WHO DOES THAT??? *shudders* LOL

On that note, I'm going to close this never ending post and wish you all a happy new week!

Toodles, as the Kardashians say.

Comments

Aunt B said…
So glad you're back! I've been missing your play-by-plays! And no, I don't think any of us snooze through them. We cheer for you, sympathize with you, laugh with you, cry with you, but, Jana m'dear, we don't snooze! By the way, people on eHarl are missing you. Even on the I Am Canadian thread which is kind of strange because I don't remember you posting there. But some of us there also post on up2down so maybe they're confused!! Or I'm confused (shrugs)
Heather said…
I'm jealous of anyone who can sleep like a rock, since I tend to wake at least once during the night--the slightest noise is enough to pull me out of a deep sleep.

Sorry about the verbal skirmish (I don't know why that word looks funny) with your coworker. Here's hoping this is a better week!

I have the same problem with the useless magnet/weights in the bottom of my shower liner. I end up pinning it down with whichever bottle comes readiest to hand. The question is, why do they even bother implementing those weights if they don't work?

What's wrong with pockets on cardigans? They come in handy this time of year for holding tissues. I love my dark brown button up cardigan with shawl neck. I got it a couple years ago from JCP. Last fall I went back to look for another in either black or gray...only to find that some idiot fashion designer had changed the style so they now zip and have a hood. Um, 'scuse me? Can't wear that style to work, people!

And beleive me, I'm wishing I had a couple more cardigans as the weather is already turning cool here. We've already had a few days below 60, and a couple nights in the 40s. Autumn be moving in!
Heather said…
Running into classmates on the job... That has only happened to me three times. I went to get my hair cut once soon after college, and yup--stylist was a HS classmate. Then a few years later we ran into another working the grocery store deli.

The third helped my sisters and I with some of the service plans for mom (yes, she works for a funeral home). I never seem to run into any of the single, worth catching male classmates, though. Guess that only happens in romance novels. ;)

Agoraphobia is fear of public places, xenophobia is fear of foreigners or strangers. It was nice of your neighbors to invite you over, but I probably would have felt uncomfortable with a hoard of strangers, too.

Thank you for not spoiling Wall-to-Wall Dead, which I have not yet laid hands on. Sigh...my TBR pile is way too high, and the TBB list far too long. Not. Enough. Time. To. Read! (Says she who has finished 85 so far this year.)

Can't say I've ever heard of Jason Statham. You didn't say what movie you watched. Oh, and I could have done without knowing that TMI about whichever Kardashian. Eeuh!
Jana said…
AuntB~Awe, thanks. Sometimes I bore myself so I just assume I bore everyone else too! lol I didn't realize anyone on eHarl would even know I was gone except for maybe you and the other girls on up2down. I didn't mean to go absent I just don't seem to have enough time in the day to go on there anymore. Plus the constant changes make it feel impossible to keep up. I'll have to stop by soon and let folks know I'm alive. haha

Heather~The movie was "Safe". It's just come out on DVD. Good action but not a whole heck of a lot of plot. Which is good for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the clarification on the phobias. Or maybe not so much a FEAR as it is anxiety. People I don't know or don't know well make me anxious and uncomfortable.

I agree about the hooded zippered cardigans. I do have one that I wear a lot because it's warm but I think hoods on cardy's are a little sloppy looking. As for pockets, most of the cardigans I've come across that have them just aren't cut right for my body type. I like a more fitted cardigan and the ones with the pockets tend to be boxy, if that makes any sense. On ME they look sloppy. They look cute in the catalog/on the wrack, but not on me.
Heather said…
Ah... The cut can definitely affect whether you like wearing certain styles or not. Like the ugly retro 60s styles that keep coming back like a bad dream.

I actually could wear the hooded zipped cardigans where I work if I wanted (and liked that style), but I know a lot of women like to keep one at work for cold winter days, and even in the age of "business casual," hoods are not allowed in most offices--except maybe on "Casual Friday."
Jana said…
I do wear my hooded cardigan to work sometimes and I realize I look a little sloppy. But you would not BELIEVE what some of the people in this building wear. So I never feel too sloppy in it. Well, I do, but I don't care near as much as I would otherwise. ;-)
Anonymous said…
i like your play by plays, too!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today