Day in the Life
Okay, so I'm in between meetings and stuck at my desk until a student worker comes in so I thought I'd follow a few other blogs I've read lately and do a day in the life. Because this blog isn't dull enough. ;)
Yesterday:
5:10am~The clock radio blasts Tony and Chris for a scant few seconds before I hit the snooze and roll over. I always aim to get up at 5:10 but rarely ever actually do.
5:19am~The clock radio blasts again. I consider hitting the snooze again but know it'll only make me late so I hit "off", roll out of bed and stumble to the bathroom. The next twenty minutes are consumed with potty, pills, shower and hair combing. Ya'll. It takes me a good ten minutes to comb my wet hair.
5:38am~Bed's made so I go get Libby up, scratch her back and belly, get a kiss and head for the kitchen. Libby head's straight to the door to go out but I stop at the fridge to pull breakfast from the freezer. I bought a box of Special K breakfast sandwiches that take a couple of minutes in the microwave so I pop one in for a couple of minutes and head outside with Libs so she can do her thang.
5:45am~We're in the recliner eating breakfast and watching the episode of 2 Broke Girls I'd recorded Monday night. Normally I'd switch back and forth between the morning news and CMT but I'm bored of the news and CMT shows the same five videos every morning. After I finish eating, Libs gives my face a thorough washing becauseapparently I'm a filthy mess she loves me and I let her because I love her. Then we cuddle and I scratch her belly and tell her how sweet she is.
6:10am~I ask Libby is she's ready to go get dressed which to her means: "I get some milkbones". I get three milkbones out of the box and head down the hallway to my bedroom and bathroom. I give Libs the first bone while I brush and floss, the second while I dry the roots of my hair--since I'm twisting it into a bun it doesn't require the length of my hair to be dry--and the third while I put my eye make-up on.
6:26am~I stare at my closet while I put on my bra (TMI?) and remember that I forgot deodorant. So I step over Libby who's licking her feet and go back to the bathroom for the all important destinkification roll on antiperspirant because nobody wants to smell me later. Then it's back to the closet where I pull out a satiny beige blouse and a pair of dark brown pants. I'm no fashionista so it really doesn't matter to me what I wear except that I'm sick of all my clothes. I stick a pair of earrings in my ears, grab my flip flops (it's still warm enough down here) and head down the hall. Halfway down the hallway I realize I might need a sweater so I head back to my room. Libby, who'd been leading the way down the hall, turns back and I SWEAR I see her roll her eyes.
6:30am~Libs and I head outside for her last "business trip" of the day. She sniffs around a little bit and does her poop in a couple of places. Unfortunately, she gets some stuck in long booty hair so I grab a little twig and "brush" it out for her. (Ewe.) She heads back toward the house and stops long enough to pee before we head inside. (More than you ever wanted to know about Libby's "business", huh? haha)
6:42am~I'd packed my lunch the night before, so I grab my lunch bag from the fridge and set it next to my purse so I won't forget it on my way out the door. Nana's late coming to pick me up so I stand in the semi-dark living room waiting for her while I tell Libby how much I love her.
6:45am~Nana's finally pulling up the driveway so I give Libs a quick kiss and hug, tell her to have a good day and I'm out the door. Nana talks almost the entire 45 minute drive while I doze off and wish I could have had just two more days ten more minutes in bed.
7:25am~Mama drops me off at the door to the library since we're so late and I stagger inside on my bad knees and head to the elevator. Two floors and stop in the restroom later, I open up the department (turn on lights, unlock doors, switch out stats sheets, etc.) and begin my 2.5 hour shift at the reference desk. We actually have an early morning patron so I get him registered and settled before settling in with a stack of newspapers to read and mark for clipping.
10am~It's finally break-time and my tummy is letting me know it. That Special K sausage egg and cheese sandwich is long gone and it's hawngry. A is out sick today but E meets me in the lounge. She had stopped at Einsteins and gotten a bagel and coffee so I'm a little bit jealous. But I sip my instant coffee and feed the beast a 100 calorie Special K crispy thing (like a poptart but smaller) and we chat about work stuff and her kids and possible lunch plans later on in the week.
10:30am~I'm finally back at my desk so I check in periodicals, clear some stuff off my desk, IM with the co-worker at the reference desk, check e-mails and groan when I look at my calendar for the next day. Meetings! Blech! I check out a couple of blogs, run a couple of retrievals for patrons and wait for lunch.
12pm~It's lunch time! I head to the staff lounge and heat my leftover sloppy joes and roasted potatoes. Mama and I chat with a co-worker who's also eating lunch in there and we watch the news while we eat. Mama fills me in on some of Sis1's plans for next week and then it's time to head back to work.
12:30pm~I check emails, check out a couple more blogs and wait for our student workers to all get here.
1pm~I head to our closed stacks and work on the shifting/interfiling/preservation/inventory project that I've been working on for the past 2 years. Two hours in, my knees are killing me, my head aches and I want to cry when I realize I've only accomplished two and half shelves. This project is going to be the death of me. I swear it is.
3pm~I head back to my desk, check my email and see that E has IM'd me. She wants to head over to the union for a snack so I grab my debit card and meet her at the front door. We walk across the drill field and gossip a bit about some of our co-workers. I kind of want to go to the new fro-yo place for yogurt but I don't say anything and instead follow E to the convenience store where we both get Cokes and cookies. We head back to the library and with ten minutes left on my break, we go down to her office.
3:45pm~Oops! I'm late getting back from break. But I don't feel too guilty since I had to work late a couple of days and didn't get any comp time for it. I spend my last 15 minutes clearing things off my desk and making stacks of things to deal with the next day.
4pm~We head home with no stops! I'm really relieved by this because my knees and legs are now screaming obscenities at me and I just want to be at home on my couch. Mama gripes all the way home about different things and I make up stories in my head. I need to get a laptop or something so that I can write those down on the way home instead of just losing them to the black hole that is my brain.
4:45pm~I'm finally at home so I take Libby out. We walk to the mailbox and I'm excited to see that I've had a delivery from Netflix. Yay! The first disc of Vampire Diaries Season 3. I'm thrilled at the prospect of more Ian Somerhalder in my future. Once Libs is finished peeing, we head into the house where I decide that I do not feel like standing at the stove. I fire up the oven, ready a Totinos on the baking sheet and head down the hall in search of PJ's.
5:30pm~We've finished supper so Libs and I watch the episode of Mike and Molly I'd recorded Monday night. It finishes up just in time for Who's the Boss on the TV guide network so Libs and I cuddle in with Tony and the gang for the next hour.
7pm~Coffee time! I head into the kitchen and put the coffee on. While it's brewing I flip channels and discover a new comedy on NBC. Once the coffee's done, Libs and I snuggle in on the couch and try to enjoy the new comedy but it's flat. Board with the television, I grab up my book (still plodding through Dipped, Stripped and Dead) but I get annoyed with it and alternately struggle through it, roll my eyes and watch the clock. I even got up and swept the floor because I just did not want to fool with either of my two entertainment options. Libby pouts in the floor while I'm up but gets super excited when I sit back down. So much so that she pins me down by laying on my neck and shoulder for a while.
8pm~I get bored with Ghost Hunters, too. They've introduced a new investigator to the crew but I don't really like her and I really, really, really miss Grant. But I don't want to read that stupid book, either so I flip flop between the two until Paranormal Witness comes on. I hit record on my DVD recorder because I can't watch it just before bed.
9pm~Time to get ready for bed because I'm secretly 90 years old, so I struggle up off the couch and Libs and I head outside for her last nightly constitutional before bedtime. She doesn't pay attention to where she's going when we step outside and walks right over a toad that had been lounging on the carport. I laugh because I don't know who jumped higher--Libs or the toad! They repeat this spectacle a couple of times until the toad finally hops away to hide by the side of the house.
9:30pm~I start getting ready for bed--change into my nightgown, turn on Libby's bedroom light as well as mine, turn the TV off, etc. Then Libs decides she's hungry and starts munching out of her food bowl. I don't want her to go to be hungry so while she eats I work on the cookbook I'm putting together for Sis2's birthday present. She's been after me for a while to get her several of my recipes of things I've made that she likes so I typed them all up really pretty, bought a binder and some clear sleeves and will decorate it up like a real cookbook.
9:45pm~Libs is finished eating so I cut off the lights and put her to bed before heading down the hall to my room. I read my Bible study, say a slightly longish prayer, shut the lamp off and I'm out like a light.
Yesterday:
5:10am~The clock radio blasts Tony and Chris for a scant few seconds before I hit the snooze and roll over. I always aim to get up at 5:10 but rarely ever actually do.
5:19am~The clock radio blasts again. I consider hitting the snooze again but know it'll only make me late so I hit "off", roll out of bed and stumble to the bathroom. The next twenty minutes are consumed with potty, pills, shower and hair combing. Ya'll. It takes me a good ten minutes to comb my wet hair.
5:38am~Bed's made so I go get Libby up, scratch her back and belly, get a kiss and head for the kitchen. Libby head's straight to the door to go out but I stop at the fridge to pull breakfast from the freezer. I bought a box of Special K breakfast sandwiches that take a couple of minutes in the microwave so I pop one in for a couple of minutes and head outside with Libs so she can do her thang.
5:45am~We're in the recliner eating breakfast and watching the episode of 2 Broke Girls I'd recorded Monday night. Normally I'd switch back and forth between the morning news and CMT but I'm bored of the news and CMT shows the same five videos every morning. After I finish eating, Libs gives my face a thorough washing because
6:10am~I ask Libby is she's ready to go get dressed which to her means: "I get some milkbones". I get three milkbones out of the box and head down the hallway to my bedroom and bathroom. I give Libs the first bone while I brush and floss, the second while I dry the roots of my hair--since I'm twisting it into a bun it doesn't require the length of my hair to be dry--and the third while I put my eye make-up on.
6:26am~I stare at my closet while I put on my bra (TMI?) and remember that I forgot deodorant. So I step over Libby who's licking her feet and go back to the bathroom for the all important destinkification roll on antiperspirant because nobody wants to smell me later. Then it's back to the closet where I pull out a satiny beige blouse and a pair of dark brown pants. I'm no fashionista so it really doesn't matter to me what I wear except that I'm sick of all my clothes. I stick a pair of earrings in my ears, grab my flip flops (it's still warm enough down here) and head down the hall. Halfway down the hallway I realize I might need a sweater so I head back to my room. Libby, who'd been leading the way down the hall, turns back and I SWEAR I see her roll her eyes.
6:30am~Libs and I head outside for her last "business trip" of the day. She sniffs around a little bit and does her poop in a couple of places. Unfortunately, she gets some stuck in long booty hair so I grab a little twig and "brush" it out for her. (Ewe.) She heads back toward the house and stops long enough to pee before we head inside. (More than you ever wanted to know about Libby's "business", huh? haha)
6:42am~I'd packed my lunch the night before, so I grab my lunch bag from the fridge and set it next to my purse so I won't forget it on my way out the door. Nana's late coming to pick me up so I stand in the semi-dark living room waiting for her while I tell Libby how much I love her.
6:45am~Nana's finally pulling up the driveway so I give Libs a quick kiss and hug, tell her to have a good day and I'm out the door. Nana talks almost the entire 45 minute drive while I doze off and wish I could have had just
7:25am~Mama drops me off at the door to the library since we're so late and I stagger inside on my bad knees and head to the elevator. Two floors and stop in the restroom later, I open up the department (turn on lights, unlock doors, switch out stats sheets, etc.) and begin my 2.5 hour shift at the reference desk. We actually have an early morning patron so I get him registered and settled before settling in with a stack of newspapers to read and mark for clipping.
10am~It's finally break-time and my tummy is letting me know it. That Special K sausage egg and cheese sandwich is long gone and it's hawngry. A is out sick today but E meets me in the lounge. She had stopped at Einsteins and gotten a bagel and coffee so I'm a little bit jealous. But I sip my instant coffee and feed the beast a 100 calorie Special K crispy thing (like a poptart but smaller) and we chat about work stuff and her kids and possible lunch plans later on in the week.
10:30am~I'm finally back at my desk so I check in periodicals, clear some stuff off my desk, IM with the co-worker at the reference desk, check e-mails and groan when I look at my calendar for the next day. Meetings! Blech! I check out a couple of blogs, run a couple of retrievals for patrons and wait for lunch.
12pm~It's lunch time! I head to the staff lounge and heat my leftover sloppy joes and roasted potatoes. Mama and I chat with a co-worker who's also eating lunch in there and we watch the news while we eat. Mama fills me in on some of Sis1's plans for next week and then it's time to head back to work.
12:30pm~I check emails, check out a couple more blogs and wait for our student workers to all get here.
1pm~I head to our closed stacks and work on the shifting/interfiling/preservation/inventory project that I've been working on for the past 2 years. Two hours in, my knees are killing me, my head aches and I want to cry when I realize I've only accomplished two and half shelves. This project is going to be the death of me. I swear it is.
3pm~I head back to my desk, check my email and see that E has IM'd me. She wants to head over to the union for a snack so I grab my debit card and meet her at the front door. We walk across the drill field and gossip a bit about some of our co-workers. I kind of want to go to the new fro-yo place for yogurt but I don't say anything and instead follow E to the convenience store where we both get Cokes and cookies. We head back to the library and with ten minutes left on my break, we go down to her office.
3:45pm~Oops! I'm late getting back from break. But I don't feel too guilty since I had to work late a couple of days and didn't get any comp time for it. I spend my last 15 minutes clearing things off my desk and making stacks of things to deal with the next day.
4pm~We head home with no stops! I'm really relieved by this because my knees and legs are now screaming obscenities at me and I just want to be at home on my couch. Mama gripes all the way home about different things and I make up stories in my head. I need to get a laptop or something so that I can write those down on the way home instead of just losing them to the black hole that is my brain.
4:45pm~I'm finally at home so I take Libby out. We walk to the mailbox and I'm excited to see that I've had a delivery from Netflix. Yay! The first disc of Vampire Diaries Season 3. I'm thrilled at the prospect of more Ian Somerhalder in my future. Once Libs is finished peeing, we head into the house where I decide that I do not feel like standing at the stove. I fire up the oven, ready a Totinos on the baking sheet and head down the hall in search of PJ's.
5:30pm~We've finished supper so Libs and I watch the episode of Mike and Molly I'd recorded Monday night. It finishes up just in time for Who's the Boss on the TV guide network so Libs and I cuddle in with Tony and the gang for the next hour.
7pm~Coffee time! I head into the kitchen and put the coffee on. While it's brewing I flip channels and discover a new comedy on NBC. Once the coffee's done, Libs and I snuggle in on the couch and try to enjoy the new comedy but it's flat. Board with the television, I grab up my book (still plodding through Dipped, Stripped and Dead) but I get annoyed with it and alternately struggle through it, roll my eyes and watch the clock. I even got up and swept the floor because I just did not want to fool with either of my two entertainment options. Libby pouts in the floor while I'm up but gets super excited when I sit back down. So much so that she pins me down by laying on my neck and shoulder for a while.
8pm~I get bored with Ghost Hunters, too. They've introduced a new investigator to the crew but I don't really like her and I really, really, really miss Grant. But I don't want to read that stupid book, either so I flip flop between the two until Paranormal Witness comes on. I hit record on my DVD recorder because I can't watch it just before bed.
9pm~Time to get ready for bed because I'm secretly 90 years old, so I struggle up off the couch and Libs and I head outside for her last nightly constitutional before bedtime. She doesn't pay attention to where she's going when we step outside and walks right over a toad that had been lounging on the carport. I laugh because I don't know who jumped higher--Libs or the toad! They repeat this spectacle a couple of times until the toad finally hops away to hide by the side of the house.
9:30pm~I start getting ready for bed--change into my nightgown, turn on Libby's bedroom light as well as mine, turn the TV off, etc. Then Libs decides she's hungry and starts munching out of her food bowl. I don't want her to go to be hungry so while she eats I work on the cookbook I'm putting together for Sis2's birthday present. She's been after me for a while to get her several of my recipes of things I've made that she likes so I typed them all up really pretty, bought a binder and some clear sleeves and will decorate it up like a real cookbook.
9:45pm~Libs is finished eating so I cut off the lights and put her to bed before heading down the hall to my room. I read my Bible study, say a slightly longish prayer, shut the lamp off and I'm out like a light.
Comments