I Was Born a Ramblin' Girl

No real point to today's post. It's a rambler. Enjoy!

So. I'm thinking about writing a little editorial piece to put in the university's newspaper. A little ditty about MANNERS and HOSPITALITY. Seriously. Did no one teach half these kids about the common courtesy of checking behind you as you walk out of door to make sure no one's behind you and that if there IS someone behind you, you, I dunno, HOLD IT FOR THEM? Is that hard? Does not everyone in the world learn that little piece of 411 from infancy? Or is it just a few select old school southerners who cling to such a courtesy?

You guessed it. I nearly got creamed by a door swinging shut while both my hands were full. I was leaving the coffee shop behind this student who breezed through the door ahead of me and let it swing shut behind him. Had I not thrust one of my ample hips out to catch it I'd be wearing my coffee right now. Even the person who was behind me was kind enough to rush up to catch the door for me but the dude in front of me? Never looked back.

It's been ingrained in me since practically birth that whenever you're walking out of a door, you always...ALWAYS...pause to look back to see if anyone's behind you. If there is--and if they are reasonably close--you stand and hold the door open until they either pass through the opening or reach out to grab the door themselves.

But apparently not everyone was taught this. Or they don't care. Or they're so far up into their little worlds they couldn't care less who gets smacked in the face. *shrugs*

In other news, I've been a little dizzy and discombobulated today. Not sure what's up with that. I drank coffee and ate a bagel at break thinking that maybe it was just hunger making me dizzy. My breakfast of two tiny ego waffles was long gone, doncha know. But even after all them carbs and caffeine, I still feel dizzy. Not so dizzy that I can't walk straight but just dizzy enough to feel a little wobbly.

Also, when I was walking back to my desk from the newspaper closet--yes, we have a newspaper closet and it is just AWFUL--my left knee buckled for just long enough to scare me into thinking I was about to fall. Not funny, knee. Not funny at all.

I did get a few odds and ends cleared off my desk this morning, though. One small step for Jana's desk. One giant leap for Jana's sanity. In theory, anyway. I almost think I'm too far gone.

Take last night, for instance. I slept rather fitfully  because I kept dreaming about work. And not even the FUN dreams like I usually have where Jason Statham is my boss and we spend a lot of time in his office together. Noooo. Last night's dreams were just weird jumbles of all my greatest fears about what's to come in the near future mixed with some bizarre twists. I kept waking myself up with a violent shake. Maybe that's why I'm so dizzy. All that violent shaking last night.

Meanwhile, my MOTHER is driving me CRAZY with that dumb iPhone. I BEGGED her not to bother getting one. PLEADED with her. I even tried reasoning with her. But noooooo. She just had to have one because our cell carrier was offering the iPhone 4's for free in order to make room for the iPhone 5's. And all her friends had gone and gotten one so she was feeling left out.

How funny that at almost sixty-years-old, she STILL caves to peer pressure. *shakes head*

But yeah. She's driving me nuts. "Why can't I get this to work? What's wrong with that? I wish I could figure out how to do X. How do you get to Y"?

And I don't know! I don't have one of the dag-blasted things! I can't tell anybody SQUAT about how to work a smartphone. We got so heated about it yesterday that I told her, "You just really need to get me home right now." And we both had to laugh because this sort of thing is exactly what I warned her about before she got the stupid thing.

Then we had to stop for gas and while she was at the pump, I picked up her phone and was thisclose to texting some meanish jokes (You're ugly and you mama sent you to Ole Miss. I used to have a bumper sticker that said that. Hilarious.) to Sis1 just for the heck of it. And because she'd naturally think it was coming from Mama. I was in that kind of mood. But I didn't do it. Sis1 hasn't been in the best of moods herself lately. Job and husband stress is getting to her. And even though it would be SO FUNNY to let Mama get some angry replies from her and not have any idea what was going on, I decided it wouldn't be worth it.

Having a conscience sorta sucks sometimes. lol

I watched Revolution last night and for the first time EVER I didn't have any nightmares about living without toilet paper. I'm still not sure about that show, though. I'm kinda like, "What's the point?" Billy Burke keeps me coming back but even HE is getting lame. So we'll see if I hang in there.

Meanwhile, I've re-fallen in love with New Girl this season. I had stopped watching it last season because something I liked more began coming on opposite. Can't recall now what that something was. But I belly laugh SO HARD during NG now that I think if something else comes on opposite it again this season, that something else is going to have to be watched in re-runs. Or something.

In other entertainment news, I got a big-ish box of books in the mail yesterday. Boo-ya!



I still have so many in my TBR stacks/shelves. How is it helpful to keep buying more? I don't know but it sure makes me happy. I think I'm gonna take down the Dahl first, just because I know it's gonna be smokin'.

Well, I guess I've rambled on enough. I have to finish up some actual werk around here.

Comments

Heather said…
She with the most books, wins. I also got a box of books in yesterday's mail, should have two more on Friday seeing as they sent the order in three shipments. I had a GC for Amazon, and combined with the "Buy 3, get 1 free" deal they have on paperbacks, it only cost me a whopping 48 cents.

As for manners...it's not just when exiting a building, but entering as well. I was brought up it was polite to hold the door for other people, particularly if their hands are full, or it's a mama pushing a stroller. Too many people act like they were brought up by wolves. Heck, I think even wolves have better manners. We need a return to civility.

Sorry you're not feeling well. Could you be coming down with an ear infection, cold or flu?

I did not sleep well last night, either, though I can't blame scary or unsettling dreams. No, I blame Mr Tolstoy. I was trying to finish Anna Karenina and the last several chapters of part 7 were too emotional, especially as it was getting late and I was tired. I had to stop with 40 pages to go, and woke up tired and groggy, and with red eyes. Ugh! It is a good book, though, even if it is really long.
Heather said…
Okay, speaking of manners... Some people (as in, those above me) really need to learn that just because a door closes automatically, doesn't mean you have to let it slam with enough force to shake the entire building or wake people up at night. You have two hands, use them! And if the hands are full, use a foot or a hip, but have some consideration for other people in the building.

(In case you're wondering, they just came in and seriously, I can tell whether it's them or people across from me by whether the door slams or not. How sad is that?)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today