Sweet Potato Bread

Ya'll know I'm not much of a sweet tater girl. More often than not, sweet potatoes taste like feet, to me. Or what I imagine feet would taste like, anyway. But I do love sweet potato casserole and I've been known to take out a slice of sweet potato pie when offered. Also, you recall my recent experience with roasted sweet potatoes with peanut butter and maple syrup. So obviously, I don't HATE the things. I just need to tweek 'em to make 'em palatable.

Enter Heather's Dish and her recipe for sweet potato bread. Yes. Bread. Like banana bread except with sweet potatoes.

So. I printed it out and immediately thought, huh. I can tweak this. It'll be a Sweet Potato PIE bread. Or, a Sweet Potato CASSEROLE bread.  The original recipe just seemed to be too much plain feet tasting sweet potatoes.

It took me a couple weeks to get around to it because, well, I had other things to do. Like record and watch five hours of my favorite HGTV shows. And have Vampire Diaries marathons. And, I don't know, contemplate the state of my life.

I got to it last night, though, in case I decide to attend the church "Harvest Supper" tonight. I didn't want to go empty handed and since they aren't having a bonfire (like they said they would!!) the s'mores supplies I bought Saturday in anticipation would be wasted on them. Sweet potato pie/casserole bread sounded like just the ticket.

SWEET POTATO BREAD
Slightly adapted from Heather's Dish.


1-1/2 cups sweet potato puree
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk (plus 2 Tbsps at the end if it's too thick to stir)
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups flour

1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Bake/boil/steam sweet potatoes and mash/puree. Or use baby food puree. (I baked one large and one small potato and then mashed them with a potato masher and the milk prior to beating them with my mixer.)   Preheat oven to 350. Beat/whisk together the sugar, sweet potato puree, oil, eggs, milk and vanilla until smooth. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans and then mix in with the wet ingredients until just combined. (Don't overmix! Overmixing makes quickbreads tough!) Spray a loaf pan (or muffin/mini-muffin tin!) with nonstick spray or something like Pam for Baking. Pour batter in and smooth the top. Bake at 350 for 60-75 minutes, or until a toothpick/knife inserted comes out clean. If making muffins or mini-muffins, your cooking time will be about 15-20 minutes.   The batter will be thick and heavy but bakes up nice and fluffy.   I poured most of my batter into a loaf pan but saved out about eight small scoops full and baked in a mini-muffin pan. The mini-muffins were delish--light and only mildly sweet. Not overpoweringly sweet. The texture was a little chewy but Libs and I did not complain.   Sorry for the lack of photos but we ate the mini-muffins straight out of the pan and the loaf, well, I just didn't think to snap a shot. But it looks a lot like Heather's...just slightly darker in color and the top rose up a bit more and split in the middle to make a nice crust.   Wish I had some right now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today