Weekend Review: Domestic Goddess Edition

So I don't really remember Friday night. Like, at all. I'm pretty sure I was alive and awake through most of it, I just don't remember. And no, there was no drugs or alcohol involved. Just exhaustion.

Oh, but wait! I do remember Haven. You know, the show on Syfy? Love it. So glad it's back for a third season.

Saturday morning, though, I got up and did my usual trip for groceries. I know at one time I told ya'll my weekly grocery budget was around $30-$40. Well, back when I got my promotion and raise I upped it to $60. I've been using pretty much down to the penny of my weekly budget just because I like being able to actually buy actual stuff I need. Like fresh meat and vegetables. But I'm in desperate need of new towels as mine are eleven and a half years old and getting threadbare. But since I don't actually make enough money to just go BUY a boat load of towels, I've priced the ones I want and have decided to start a small savings for them. I could get by with six but I'd rather have ten to twelve because, let's face it, we are all aware of my towel laundering habits by now. Although--and I'm quite proud of this--for the past THREE WEEKS I've done an excellent job of getting them washed, folded and put away in the same day. But we know we can't really depend on that happening forever, right?

So anyway, what I've decided to do is to try to come in under budget on groceries every week for a while and put whatever's left toward the new towels fund. This week I came in a solid $4 under so I stuck that in my "towels" envelope when I got home. Sure, it's a small start, but it's better than nothing. Meanwhile, I still managed to come home with exactly everything that was on my list. So yay me!

Once home and breakfast eaten (and Pioneer Woman viewed on Food Network) I got my bootay up and got busy. You remember last week when I cleaned my tub and I said it had been needing it for a while?? Well, it hasn't been the ONLY thing that I've let slide. The dust! Oh, the dust!

You know how sometimes some people's cars get so dirty that you can write on them? That was my furniture. Living on a dirt road doesn't help, but neither does my loathing of dusting. But dust, I did. I got my handy dandy washable microfiber duster thing out and dusted my little heart out. Every room of the house. And then once I got through sneezing, I vacuumed and swept it all up. But wait! There's more!

I also...mopped. Well, sort of mopped. Does the Swiffer Wetjet count as mopping? Anyway, I WetJetted all the hard surface floors because, well, they'd started getting a little not so pristine looking. But if you must know, mopping/wetjetting are right up there with tub cleaning and dusting on my list of least favorite chores. I mean, to be honest, I don't really enjoy any housekeeping chores. But those three things? Ugh. Hate 'em.

Next weekend I won't be cleaning a dag-blasted thing because I'll be busy partying it up for Sis2's birthday.  And that makes me oh-so-happy. haha

After all that cleaning (and the laundry done in between) I also whipped up a pizza dough and made a small pizza. The other half of the dough I let rise again shaped like a small wide "loaf" and baked it up to make a thin ficoccia looking bread which turned out delicious, if I do say so myself.

But wait! There's more! After 2.5 hours of Vampire Diaries on DVD (season 3, disc 1) I got up and baked cookies, cleaned up the kitchen and folded the towels.

The cookies turned out rather meh. I don't know what I did wrong with them but I think that's the last time I try that particular recipe.

Then I settled in for the last hour and half of Vampire Diaries before (finally!) finishing that lame-o "mystery" I'd been slogging through for days. Hallelujah and now that book's going in the TBD (to be donated) pile.

Frankly, I just didn't care for the characters much and there wasn't enough sleuthing to call it a mystery. It was more like a chick-lit/romance/friendship/caper novel with a couple of deaths tossed in for good measure. I never really cared enough about the victims to want to know who killed them and I figured out the "side mystery" after the first incident while the characters ran around like idiots and cavemen. Seriously, I got so made over one of the "cave man" scenes--a scene I'm sure the author meant to be romantic--that I slung the book down and refused to pick it back up for TWO DAYS.

Vampire Diaries, on the other hand...YUM and YUM. My only suggestion for making it any better would be to just kill off Stefan (supposedly the "Hero" vampire and main love interest). Frankly, he gets on my nerves and Damon is so much better at being the tortured vampire in love. Plus, he's just hotter.

Anyway, Sunday morning I got up to a rainy day. No complaints. I'm thankful for the rain AND the cooler temps it brought. Last week had actually gotten hot again. It rained pretty much all day and barely got above 60 degrees. Perfect lazy Sunday afternoon weather, if you ask me. After church, Libby and I snuggled in a the folks' house with meatloaf and a sappy Hallmark movie. (gag) Then Daddy put the TV on Billy the Exterminator and I got to watch a hideous dude fumble around with nasty critters like snakes, bees and yellow jackets. Seriously, the guy's an idiot. But highly entertaining! haha

My laziness continued into the evening after I got home. I sort of skipped out on the evening service at church and stayed into read for a while before Once Upon a Time and Revenge. Both shows got off to an excellent start this season.  I seriously am So. Happy. they're back.

The most gut wrenching part of the night, though, was the Elizabeth Flock book I read. I ended up staying up until nearly midnight to finish it, it was that good. I cried in a couple of places, I'm not even gonna lie. It was an emotional roller coaster but thankfully it had a seriously happy ending.

It was so emotional, though, that it gave me nightmares and I didn't sleep worth a darn.

So, say hello to sleepy Jana. ;-)

Anyway, tomorrow I'm off work for Sis2's actual birthday. I plan on bringing her breakfast, taking her some birthday treats, treating her to lunch and in general having a fun day. Sis1's coming over tomorrow, too so it'll be a true girl's day. Well, girls and Efan. haha But he loves to practice his charm on us girls so he'll have a blast, too.

So...Happy Monday!

Comments

JenMarie said…
The girl and I were so excited about Once Upon a Time! It was oh so good! We really enjoyed the hour long recap, which was incredibly thorough.
Now, I can't wait until next Sunday. The only good thing about the end of a weekend... :)
Jana said…
I missed the hour long recap. :( But yeah, it's the only good thing about the end of a weekend. ;)
Heather said…
Sounds like it was a pretty good weekend. I envy the rain. We really need some round here, and looks like we might finally get some next weekend. Glad too that you enjoyed the Flock book more than the previous one.
Jana said…
We got more rain yesterday. Still can't get the temps to stay steady, though. It fluctuates from the 60's to the 80's ever other day, it seems. :-/ I'm ready for some steadily cool weather.

Hope you get some rain!
Heather said…
After 18 days of nothing, we finally got some rain this afternoon/evening (the all day, slow and steady soaker kind), and are to get more on Saturday. 'Bout dang time!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today