Catching Up

So, in reading backwards and commenting (finally!) on some of the past couple weeks' posts, I realized I never responded back to some "results" of things I'd blogged about. Consider this catching up post a "Weeks In Review". Sort of.

My car: Thankfully, the only repairs it actually needed were new front breaks. The transmission leak that the oil change guys warned me about wasn't actually a transmission leak. Something about a rear oil pan leak that apparently isn't that big of a deal. Mechanic said (via his receptionist) that it's nothing to worry about. Total cost of the new front breaks? $170--a phenomenal blessing considering that I'd prayed  heavily that repairs wouldn't be over $200. Although, considering that $100 of that was purely labor...Yeah. I'm in the wrong field. :-/

But about the mechanic. I took my car to someplace newish for me. I'd only taken it there once before when the check engine light came on. It turned out to just be something about the gas cap not being on tight enough so they reset the sensor and didn't charge me a thing. This thoroughly impressed me since most places charge $20-$30.

However, they must have been having an off day when I took the car in for the breaks/transmission. For one thing, they never called me to tell me my car was done. This isn't highly uncommon among mechanics but still annoying. The thing that really chapped my hide, though, was the fact that when I called around three o'clock (I get off at four so I wanted to make sure I could pick it up) the receptionist was all, "Can I take your payment over the phone? We're closing early today." I asked, "How early?" because I thought I might could take off a few minutes or use my break to go pick it up earlier. Not the case. They were closing up as I was speaking to her! And they didn't call me! If I hadn't called them, I'd have not gotten my car back until the next day! As it was, I had to pay over the phone with my debit card, which I don't like to do, and they left my key under the floor mat.

Granted, it wouldn't have been a huge deal if I'd had to wait because as you know, I carpool with my mother anyway. BUT. That's sorta beside the point. If they knew they were closing up early and were finished with my car--or even if they WEREN'T finished!--they had a duty to call and let me know. I could have left at lunch to go pick it up or made arrangements to pick it up before they closed. Something. If I had needed my car and I hadn't called, I'd have been in a pickle!

Anyway, I was thoroughly griped about it to the point that my jaw was hurting from clenching my teeth by the time I got home that night. Inconsiderate people--especially those I have to give my hard earned money to--irritate the life outta me.

Can you tell I'm still steamed about it two weeks later? haha

My toe: Toe is all healed up now, though still a little sensitive. It hit so close to the nail bed that I think the impact of the knife bruised it when it stabbed me. It was discolored and really sore for about a week after and even now has a pale purple tinge to it and doesn't like certain shoes. But I lived. ;-)

My frustrations with committees, exhibits and Brasso: This is my first year serving on the exhibits committee. Not a big deal except that my friends E and A are both on the committee, as well as office-mate, DD and a couple other people around the library. What's so bad about all that? Serving on committees with friends can be a bit of a drag if you're not careful. We spent about two weeks arranging/rearranging/planning exhibits because A just can't get enough of that sort of thing. And even though she's not the chair, she's fully enjoyed bossing us all around to the point of taking over the exhibit cases that DD and I had already mostly finished. She completely re-did what we had done and ended up doing that to one other person's case. Beyond that, because she didn't want to deal with a couple of other members of the committee, she kinda purposefully left them out of some things and then COMPLAINED ABOUT THOSE SAME PEOPLE NOT DOING THEIR PART!!

Forgive the shouting but that right there? *points to above* That really put a burr up my butt. You can't exclude people and then be mad at them for not doing whatever it was you excluded them from. And she made the comment that DD didn't seem to be all that into putting in the exhibit since she mostly just stood around. Well, duh! It was because the case she'd already worked on got taken over and re-done. What was she supposed to do? Get so excited that she takes over someone else's case?

I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't gripe about my friends but A has just really been under my skin lately. She won't let me finish a dag-gum sentence to start with but then all that up there? *shakes head* Put me in a snappish mood for a couple of days. I can't handle bossiness.

As for the Brasso--lol--that stuff stinks! We had to polish all the brass frames of the exhibit cases and that Brasso stuff is awful.

Anyway, as far as the weekend goes, I spent it pretty quietly at home. I was such a slug last week that I didn't wash dishes all week long so I spent about an hour and a half Saturday cleaning up the kitchen. It was awful. lol Serves me right for being such a slug. It's also my month to clean the church so after I finally finished dishes, I ran up there to clean. Didn't take me long, thank goodness.

The rest of the day was spent on the couch watching movies with the Devil Pup.

Then yesterday I woke up with some of the same issues I'd had during Christmas. I'm calling it "digestive issues" but I'm not really sure what it is. All I know for sure is that it's danged miserable. I popped a pain pill I had left over from my root canal and that eased off the worst of the pain enough for me to go to church. Then, thankfully, the folks had something else to do after lunch so I was able to go home guilt free. I popped a couple of ibuprofen and slept on the couch for about three hours. Still a bit in pain today but it's manageable.

Mama, of course, wants me to go to the doctor but I'm refusing for now. Doctors, I'm convinced, don't know much more than I do about health. The last handful of times I went to a doctor for something that really ailed me, I never got satisfactory answers. Just guesses. I can guess for myself at home for free, ya'll!

Anyway, I'm taking it a little easier today. Doing mostly desk work instead of working in the stacks. It's so quiet around campus that hopefully I won't have a lot of demands for things--though sometimes it's during spring break that my department gets a lot of off-campus guests/researchers. *sigh* Here's to hoping for a quiet Monday, anyway. :)

Comments

Heather said…
Where do I start?

The mechanics - You're right, that was inconsiderate and unprofessional of them. If the car was done, and they were planning to close early, they should have had the courtesy to call.

Bossy people - Also rude. You don't take over someone else's exhibit. You can offer ideas or suggestions, but to just take over? And then complain about people not doing their part when you intentionally excluded them? Someone has some serious control issues!

Digestive issues - I know you don't want to hear Mama is right, but sounds like you may want to see the doctor. The first thing that came to mind is crohn's disease, as I know a few people who suffer from it.

Glad the toe is better and that you had a nice Saturday night at home.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today