Weekend Review: The Not Dead Yet Edition

I just feel like it. ;-)

Another year older, not a lick wiser and full of pie. That's me. I hit the big 3-4 Saturday and brought my birthday in with a creak...of the knees.

I only wish I were joking. *sigh*

So I took a few days off work to, IDK, celebrate myself? Because that's what I do. It makes me less disappointed if nobody else celebrates my birthday if I do something nice for myself. So I took off work, Thursday-Monday.

Thursday I came into the "city" to run some important errands. Things like, have the DP's nails clipped (aka, A Puppy Pedicure), renew my license and get my taxes done.

So the whole puppy pedicure went fine. I was able to get her in early and the girl who clipped the nails was really nice and I was out of there before 9am. Cool. Dropped Libs off at Sis2's to go get my driver's license renewed and that's when...Dun, dun, DUUUUUUNNNN...I did it. I hurt myself. *whimper*

The place was super busy anyway because there's a serious run on gun permits or something and the same office that renews DL's handles gun permits. So the parking was BACKED. UP. and I just barely found a spot. Inside was looooooong lines of each category and so I ended up standing in line for nearly an hour. Standing for an hour is bad enough on my knees but. And here's where the injury comes in. Coming into the office there's this tall step and they have a warning sign to, you know, watch your step. On the inside, not so much. Or maybe they did have the sign on the inside of the door. I don't know. All I know is, as I was walking out, I was checking my license to make sure it was correct before I left because I don't have another $21 to waste on having corrections done after I left. And instead of looking up when I went through the door, I just kept walking and...

*sigh* I didn't fall, thank God, because I was holding onto the door but my right leg landed hard and my left foot got caught on the tall step and bent my knee back with a resounding series of snaps, crackles and pops. Yes, my knee channeled the rice crispies. It hurt but it wasn't all that bad at first. I barely even limped as I made my way to the car. But later. Ohhhh, later.

Yeah. I'm still having a hard time with it. My patella feels all loosey goosey in there and likes to fake me out as though it's about to hop out and dance a jig like my right patella did back in '06. Not cool, left knee. Not. Cool.

Anyway, I did make it to get my taxes done--for F-R-E-E. Booya! The public library was hosting an AARP group who were filing taxes for free for middle and low income families/individuals. Since I normally pay around $35 to $40 for a ten minute clickety-clack of my taxes, free sounded pretty good to me.  And the older gentleman who did mine was so adorable I almost stuck him in my pocket and brought him home with me. :)

Then, because they're so awesome, Sis2, Goofus and Efan treated me to lunch at my favorite Chinese place. Mostly, I think, because Goofus didn't want McD's (the cheaper option). And then after we picked Lyssa up from school, I treated the kids to some Fro-yo from our favorite frozen yogurt bar. It was deeeeee-lish. And the kids loved it.

So of course after I got home I had a little mini-meltdown complete with sobbing, tears and crying to God because...I don't know why. Because I'm overwhelmed? Because I'm sick to death of being early thirties and barely able to walk half the time? Because I had so much I wanted to do on my days off and my stupid knee was ruining everything? Or maybe it was just PMS. I don't know. But I was glad it waited until I got home because the new mascara I'm using runs like a sonovabiscuit. Black tears, ya'll. Ugh.

I had intended on finishing putting together those pantry/cabinets Friday. I got one built Wednesday night--all but the doors with which I need some manly assistance. The units aren't difficult to put together but they are heavy and since I had a hard time walking/sitting/standing from a sitting position I figured I probably needed to take the day to nurse my knee instead. So that's what I did. I RICEd (rest, ice, compress, elevate--right?) it and watched horrible daytime television all day Friday. Oh, and popped Advil. It wasn't swollen much but it was a little puffy.

Saturday morning I did my usual grocery shopping/breakfast thing and then headed over to the folks' for my birthday. Both sisters, their hubby's and all three of mah beh-bies were there and I played as hard as I could with them. Daddy grilled burgers and Sis2 had made a chocolate chip cookie dough cream pie (completely decadent) and we ate and blew out candles and opened gifts. Granny came by later and visited for a bit. Not sure why she didn't come for lunch. But at least she came by. All in all, it was a perfectly great birthday.

Sunday blew the lights out. Literally. Severe windstorm downed the power lines and I was without power from around 2:30 until 8pm. I missed Once Upon a Time. *sniffle* BUT, I did read an entire book via lantern. haha It was kinda good for me to have to power down and live without the television for a while. Libs and I cuddled under our warm fleece blanket and read and ate potato chips and snuggled. It was nice.

So nice that I read ANOTHER book Monday while I was at home for my last day off work. Still didn't get those cabinets/pantries put together but I finished another book and rested my knee some more. A nice way to spend a day off work.

Sometimes when things like hurt knees happen, I hafta wonder if God doesn't do it just so that I'm forced to change my plans and do something better for myself than all the stressful things I get myself into. As much as this knee hurts and as much as I'd really wanted those cabinets put together, I got the rest and relaxation I needed to recover from the whirlwind the past three months have been. So really, I'm thankful for that. And I know just as soon as He's ready for it to be healed and feel better, it will heal and feel better and I can get back to the whirlwind and do all things that need doing.

So. Happy Birthday to me. ;-)

Comments

Heather said…
I'm glad you had a good birthday weekend, despite the knee injury. Personally, I love the QUIET that power outages bring. Like you--and unlike too many of my neighbors and friends--I have no difficulty curling up with a book for a few hours. It's good to completely powr down once in a while.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today