Weekend Review: The Not Just My Usual Routine Edition

So. I don't know if  ya'll remember but a while back Sis1 and my aunt from Colorado were planning this big surprise party for Mama's 60th birthday. And I don't know if you remember or not but I think I may have said something about probably ending up being me and Sis2 planning and pulling it off.

Well. Guess what! I am a friggin' psychic! Because,  ya'll, Sis2 and I are the ones who are doing all the planning! Isn't that fun?

*sigh*

Aunt CO backed out of coming about a month or so ago and as soon as she did Sis1 was all, "Well, turns out I won't be able to come until late that afternoon anyway due to Emmy having a ball game that day. So ya'll should just do whatever you want."

A ballgame, ya'll. Sis1 and Emmy aren't coming until late that Saturday afternoon for Mama's 60th birthday party. The party that five months ago she was all, "It's going to be huge! Everyone Mama's ever met is invited! We need a huge space! And it's going to be a surprise party!"

Now that Sis2 and I are in charge, it's been scaled back a bit to just her very closest friends and family and it's going to be at Sis2's house. Sis2 and I have been going back and forth over plans on the phone for the past few weeks and she decided Friday night that she and I needed some face-to-face planning time to finalize some of the details that need dealing with right away like, you know, the guestlist. Invitations. Etc.

Saturday morning, instead of my quick super early trip to my small hometown I slept in a bit and went to Sonic and paid my debt and THEN went on to my work town to meet Sis2 for breakfast. The girl at  Sonic, when I only ordered a coffee was all, "What?! You don't want the ultimate meat and cheese burritto today?!" I floored her. haha It really is embarrassing how much a creature of habit I am. I think this coming Saturday I'm going to order the breakfast toaster sandwhich just to mess with her again. lol

Anyway, so Sis2 and I totally got our times mixed up and she was at McDonald's at 8am while I thought we were meeting at 8:30. I was coming down the interstate at 8am--about 20 minutes out from my destination. Oops!

So we were going to get breakfast at Wendy's but...THEY DON'T SELL BREAKFAST ANYMORE. *sob* And they had the BEST honey dipped chicken biscuit. *sniffle* So it was back to McDonald's where I swaggered in with my Sonic coffee and spent $2 on a sausage biscuit and hashbrown. McDonald's regular coffee is nasty.

Also, do you know how difficult it is to stay on topic of party planning when you never get to actually have more than five minutes alone without kids and parents and her husband interrupting? Next to impossible. So you imagine just how long that breakfast lasted. If you guessed about an hour, you'd be correct. haha

Then we set off to Wal-Mart to check out decorations, plates, etc and spent about thirty or forty-five minutes debating and talking and looking and stuff. Then I STILL had to get my groceries. I was 11:30 leaving town, ya'll. For a girl who's normally been home for three and a half hours by that time on a Saturday morning, I felt like my day was totally gone.

To console myself, I stopped by Sonic on my way home and got a  double cheeseburger and a peanut butter fudge shake.

I KNOW!

Anyway, after I finished my lunch, Libs and I ran up to the folks' house to drop some stuff off that Mama had asked me to pick up. She was already gone to do her own grocery shopping when I got there but I visited with Daddy and Milo for a bit. I love my "boys" doncha know. ;-)

The rest of the day? I did laundry and took a loooooong nap. I did get up around 6pm and clean up the kitchen but then Libs and I got a pre-bedtime nap. haha

Sunday was the Memorial/Homecoming at church so we had lunch there after services. I wanted to go home after services but Mama guilted me into staying. So during the after eating social time when everyone else was playing "catch up" with each other I retreated to the kitchen and washed dishes. I don't normally wash dishes at these church lunches because the older ladies beat me to it. They were all, "Oh  thank you so much for washing up for us." Like washing silverware is hard or something. Or because they still think I'm five. Whichever.

Anyway, the excitement of the day was the dead frog we found under the garbage can. Fun times.

Instead of going home and sacking out, Libs and I went back up the folks' to visit some more. It's been a month of Sundays since we've been up there for the afternoon so it was past time. We watched the Cooking Channel and messed with Milo and talked nonsense. It was nice.

But then I went home and made a  huge mistake. Since all my Sunday night shows are over for the summer, I watched my latest Netflix DVD--Django Unchained. How could I possibly have forgotten how violent and gross Quentin Terrintino's movies are? Because, Ugh! Gross! The storyline was interesting enough but all the blood! And the incessant use of the "N" word. I mean, I realize that the time period the film was set in that word was probably tossed around as frequently as it was portrayed but...Ugh. Hate it.

One thing I did not know prior to watching it, though, is that the last half the story takes place in Greenville, Mississippi. Not that that's anything to be proud of, considering the subject matter but it was rather curious to associate Leonardy DiCaprio with any part of Mississippi.

Anyway, the movie gave me nightmares.

And that's about as exciting as it gets around here. haha

Comments

Heather said…
Sounds like someone had a busy Saturday. Wanna know what I did? We went to the Dane County Farmer's Market, a couple greenhouses, and Walmart. Then we did a little bit of planting at Kim's, grilled out and watched The Hobbit.

I'm thinking my weekend movie was a lot less violent than yours. Speaking of -- thanks for the warning on Django--I've been on the fence about seeing that one.
Jana said…
Your Saturday sounds almost idyllic. :)

I really did want to like Django. It had so much Oscar buzz and the previews seemed so interesting. And if you don't mind blood and ugly words all the time it wasn't bad. Not as interesting as the previews made it out to be but not bad.

I think Tarantino wanted it to be a little old school Western meets modern day shock violence but it's hard to enjoy the old school aspects of it when you're either covering your eyes or fast forwarding through the worst parts. Some of the music and imagery (the non-violent imagery, anyway) reminded me a lot of The Good, the Bad and The Ugly...Classic Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. I kept thinking how I didn't want to imagine how Tarantino would have messed that one up with his love of shock violence.

Meanwhile, I'm seriously cracking up over my typo of Leo DiCaprio's name...Leonardy. haha

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today