Weekend Review Part II: The Fishing, Eating and Reading Edition
I know, I know. It's THURSDAY and I'm just now finishing up my weekend review. Yesterday was a bear of a day, though. All I got accomplished was 6 hours of meetings/interviews. Awesome. But I didn't want to let the week end before sharing the happiest part(s) of the weekend that almost wasn't. (If you don't know what I mean by that, I suggest reading the previous post first.)
So. After I escaped near death (again, no melodrama intended) I came home, ate my burrito (yes, I stuck to my routine and yes I'm pathetic) and hurried up to the pond. It was fishing time.
Mama had called me while I was driving home and said that the kids were already at the pond and Efan had already caught two fish--Breem, I think she said. So yeah, I rushed through my burrito and then to the pond to see my babies fish.
I did cast a line of my own out there but as the song says, I "caught no fishes." (Ya'll do know that song, right? Peter, James and John? An old VBS song. Remind me to write the lyrics out sometime.) But we had fun anyway. We stayed out for about three hours that morning.
The sun was high in the sky but the temps were amazing with a nice cool breeze blowing, too. I was seriously wishing I'd remembered to wear a cap or hat. Sun was bright, ya'll. And if I looked out at the rippling sparkling water for too long I got a little dizzy.
It goes without saying that my scalp got a little burned where my hair parts. They don't make sunblock for scalps, ya'll. Right? Or am I missing something?
We took a break and headed for the folks house around 11am. Daddy grilled burgers, hot dogs and cheddarwurst (my favorite!) and we chowed down like hungry kittens. (Not sure where the kitten reference comes from. Maybe I shoulda said "hungry bears"?)
Belly's full, we sprawled on the couch, recliners and whatever else was available. Everyone took a nap except for Sis2 and me. We sat next to each other and whisper giggled/mooned over the carnival food Travel Channel was celebrating. Fried things on sticks, ya'll. YUM. For two girls trying to lose weight it was actually kind of masochistic.
Finally, around 3pm, we headed back to the pond for round 2 of fishing. The kids were well rested and raring to go. So was the worm Daddy threaded on my hook. (Ewwe.)
Efan ended up catching two bass on this leg of the expedition. Upon catching the first one, he pumped his fists and exclaimed, "I did it!" As if he had some idea that catching Bass is sort of a big deal with fishermen.
Lyssa and I never did catch anything. She was more disappointed about it than I was. "It's not fair. Fishing is no fun." Such is life, baby girl. Such is life.
So. After I escaped near death (again, no melodrama intended) I came home, ate my burrito (yes, I stuck to my routine and yes I'm pathetic) and hurried up to the pond. It was fishing time.
Mama had called me while I was driving home and said that the kids were already at the pond and Efan had already caught two fish--Breem, I think she said. So yeah, I rushed through my burrito and then to the pond to see my babies fish.
I did cast a line of my own out there but as the song says, I "caught no fishes." (Ya'll do know that song, right? Peter, James and John? An old VBS song. Remind me to write the lyrics out sometime.) But we had fun anyway. We stayed out for about three hours that morning.
![]() |
| Efan was entranced by the crickets. |
The sun was high in the sky but the temps were amazing with a nice cool breeze blowing, too. I was seriously wishing I'd remembered to wear a cap or hat. Sun was bright, ya'll. And if I looked out at the rippling sparkling water for too long I got a little dizzy.
It goes without saying that my scalp got a little burned where my hair parts. They don't make sunblock for scalps, ya'll. Right? Or am I missing something?
We took a break and headed for the folks house around 11am. Daddy grilled burgers, hot dogs and cheddarwurst (my favorite!) and we chowed down like hungry kittens. (Not sure where the kitten reference comes from. Maybe I shoulda said "hungry bears"?)
Belly's full, we sprawled on the couch, recliners and whatever else was available. Everyone took a nap except for Sis2 and me. We sat next to each other and whisper giggled/mooned over the carnival food Travel Channel was celebrating. Fried things on sticks, ya'll. YUM. For two girls trying to lose weight it was actually kind of masochistic.
Finally, around 3pm, we headed back to the pond for round 2 of fishing. The kids were well rested and raring to go. So was the worm Daddy threaded on my hook. (Ewwe.)
![]() |
| Lyssa learned how to cast and enjoyed practicing that more than actually trying to catch fish... even though she really did want to catch something. |
Efan ended up catching two bass on this leg of the expedition. Upon catching the first one, he pumped his fists and exclaimed, "I did it!" As if he had some idea that catching Bass is sort of a big deal with fishermen.
Lyssa and I never did catch anything. She was more disappointed about it than I was. "It's not fair. Fishing is no fun." Such is life, baby girl. Such is life.
After we finally packed it in for the day, we headed back to the folks' house for leftovers and giggles. I didn't get home until nearly 9pm. Libs and I laid on the couch and dozed a bit before bedtime.
After church Sunday, Libs and I hung out at home and did house things. Laundry. Dishes. You know, house stuff. We did all that Sunday so that on Monday--Memorial Day--we could have a day of doing NOTHING. Well, not nothing, nothing. Fun nothing. We ate. We read two novels. We watched a Pioneer Woman mini-marathon. We moved from the recliner to the loveseat to the couch and back to the recliner. We watched three episodes of Paranormal Witness. We dozed. It was gggrrrrrrr-eat! :-D
I could actually use another day like that. I've come down with a dreadful sinus cold and have been a leaky hacking head full of snot all day. You're welcome for that visual, btw. haha
Anyway, for a weekend that almost wasn't, it turned out really, really great. Thank you, Lord, for sparing me the trauma and blessing me instead with love, joy and romance novels. :-)












Comments
The only good part of the weekend was time spent with friends Monday and all the good food (and yes, though the weather was crappy we still grilled out...even if we did have to dine in, lol).