Weekend Review: The Retail Therapy Edition

So I totally flexed Ms. Visa this weekend. Oy.

I got off work early Friday afternoon since I had to work a few hours Saturday. Instead of doing what I normally do and taking off early enough to spend some time with Sis2 and Ethan, I took off at 12:30 and went shopping. I rarely ever do any shopping other than grocery or on-line shopping so I figured it would be a good time to indulge.

I started off at Payless. I need to stock up on a few more pairs of flats since flip-flop season is phasing out quickly. (Yes. I've still been wearing them most days.haha) I did find a couple of really cute flats that were super comfy but they were also nearly $30 each. And even though they had a BOGO sale going on, I still couldn't see spending $45 on shoes. I did end up buying some "no show" socks to wear with the flats I already have. And I also found a couple of cute necklaces that I bought. One of them is for Emmy's upcoming birthday. Figured I'd give her the cheap but cute necklace with some green stuff. haha She'll be fourteen so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to buy her anymore.

Anyway, yeah. Socks and cheap jewelry at Payless.

Then I drove over to Cato's and found a gorgeous maroon cardigan. It has ruffles in the front and ruched on the sleeves and I've been looking for some maroon stuff for AGES. In case you didn't know, maroon is one of the university's colors. One of our slogans is "I bleed maroon and white." White being our other color. ;-) So anyway, yeah. My professional wardrobe is sadly and shockingly lacking in anything maroon which interferes with my participation in the library's photo project called "Maroon Friday." I have one white blouse and one somewhat maroon blouse that I've worn in most of the photos I've participated in. Sad. Anyway, the cardigan was marked down to $19 and it was the last one they had so I got it. Also got a pair of flip flops marked down to $3 and a spring purse marked down to $5. I got a gorgeous sparkly blue blouse, as well, but ended up returning it Saturday because it was badly miss-sized and didn't fit. I didn't try it on before buying because all of the dressing rooms were full and I was in a hurry.

By the time I left Cato's I had just enough time to run to W-mart to get groceries. While there I stumbled on some short sleeved t-shirts that were marked down to $1. I got three. One white and two black. Those were the only colors they had but you can never have too many black or white t-shirts. haha

Saturday while I was at work I went on Amazon and ended up almost entirely finishing my Christmas shopping. I ordered everyone's but Emmy's and the only reason I didn't order her anything was because what she told me she wanted is something I'll have to get at either the flea market or a crafts store. She wants some wooden pieces to paint and while Amazon has plenty of them, that sort of thing is something I'd rather see "in person" to judge size, quality, etc. I'll more than likely be heading up to Tupelo for the flea market either this coming weekend or the Friday after Thanksgiving. Either way, I'll hopefully  have enough time to get her a couple of things to paint.

Anyway, I ended up ordering nearly $100 worth of presents. Ack! Actually, one of the purchases was for ME, but we don't need to talk about that. haha

So other than Emmy's gift and maybe a few odds and ends, I am DONE with my Christmas shopping. I can't decide if I'm relieved or disappointed. ;-)

After I got off work Saturday, I went and grabbed a chicken sandwich at Wendy's and was disappointed in it. Just had no flavor at all. I should have just gotten the baconator like I wanted to start with.  After lunch I finished up some errands and raced home. I hate being away from home for too long on Saturdays. It makes it feel as though I didn't have a weekend and not nearly enough time to recharge. Especially since I was busy the previous Saturday, too.

I guess I got home around 3pm. Libs and I snuggled in and watched TV, finished laundry, did some food prep for lunch the next day because for some reason I decided to volunteer to cook lunch on Sunday. Must have lost my mind. *shakes head* I seeded and stuffed some jalapenos for poppers I could just throw in the oven, baked and stuffed potatoes for twice baked potatoes so that I could throw THOSE in the oven, and rolled out some cookie dough so that I could throw THOSE in the oven. The only thing I didn't prep in advance was the shrimp.

I recently found a recipe for baked coconut shrimp and knew the folks would love them. When I first tried the recipe for myself a couple of weeks ago, I'd gotten the already peeled shrimp and it took maybe twenty minutes start to finish. Unfortunately, when I bought the shrimp Friday afternoon, I didn't pay close enough attention because...you guessed it. The shrimp weren't peeled.

Ya'll, I hate peeling shrimp. But I hate it even more when everything else is ready to go and I'm standing at the kitchen sink peeling shrimp. It was nearly 1:30 before I finished with peeling, coating and baking the shrimp. Daddy texted me around 1 and was all, "need any help?"

I should have replied, "Yes. I need mental help because WHAT WAS I THINKING VOLUNTEERING TO COOK LUNCH???"

But it got finished and mostly eaten. I say "mostly" because Mama, turns out, doesn't really like shrimp. A fact I'd never heard her mention before and she never said a WORD when I mentioned my planned menu. She only ate four measly shrimp out of the MOUNTAIN I'd cooked only said, "They're okay." Awesome. She did really like the twice stuffed sweet potato I made especially for her since she can't really eat a lot of white potatoes. I'd spiced it up with some cream cheese, cinnamon and a scant teaspoon of brown sugar. Daddy and I ate as much as we could of the shrimp but coconut shrimp is surprisingly filling and we still had half a mountain of it left which we split between us for leftovers. So at least I have supper tonight, too!

Oh, and to make the day just PERFECT...I had an extra special "visitor" that decided to show her ugly face and screw up my back because apparently now that I'm in my thirties I'm going to suffer with back cramps. TMI? haha

Needless to say, after I went home, Libs and I had cookies for supper while we watched Once Upon a Time and Revenge. Don't judge.

Comments

Heather said…
Done with Christmas shopping?? You're as bad as Kim being almost done with her Christmas cards already. You both suck, lol!

And join the club on the back pain. Actually, my problem lately has been with my left hip. It's going to be a long winter! My arms and hands have been really sore since Sunday, too. I helped Kim rake leaves, and it took us nearly three hours to do her entire yard. Makes me glad not to be a home owner, lol.

Jana said…
I don't bother raking leaves. Where I live, I just don't see the point. I call it a "naturalized" yard. haha Country living has its benefits. ;-)

On-line shopping is da bomb diggity. haha Last year I did all that running around, trying to be noble and spend my meager Christmas money in our town to boost our economy and all it did was drive me nuts. This year? I'm done with being noble. I took the easy route.

It helps, of course, that everyone is getting either a book or a DVD. I may end up looking for little "happys" to go with the folks' books but I'm not going to kill myself or go even broker to do it.

Now I'm free to drive myself crazy with baking/cooking. hehehe
Heather said…
Sadly, we had no choice but to rake -- for one, to get rid of any remaining crabapples (K does not want any more taking root or anyone slipping on them, lol) and second, so we could start setting up her Christmas lights next weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today