Weekend Review: The Thanksgiving Potluck Edition
So this weekend was weird. Not terribly restful, for sure.
Started out Friday afternoon. I took off work early to accommodate the fact that I had to work a few hours Saturday. Since I wasn't in my own car, I was still stuck in town until Mama got off work. I spent those three hours mostly grocery shopping. I did manage to make it Hallmark for a Christmas present for BFF and Cato to quick see if I could find some new jeans. My current ones (I only had one pair that still fit) were getting worn out to the point that at someday soon I'd be showing the backside of my underwear. And nobody wants to see that. Trust me.
No luck at Catos. All toooooo long. Tell me, America. Why is that petite pants are extra long on an average height woman (5'5")? Sooooooo annoying.
I did end up finding some jeans at Wal-Mart (Faded Glory for curves) that were only an inch or so too long. An inch I can handle. Best part, they were only a little over $13. Winner winner, chicken dinner. haha Better news was, I'm not in as large a size as I thought I'd be. Color me thrilled.
I hate the thought of buying new pants because I still have the (misguided) notion that I will lose some serious weight. Truth, I think my body and my mind are just not working well right now. My body is holding tight to each pound I gained over the past year and my mind is so warped that I can't get a grip on even whole heartedly trying to lose. I did well for about three weeks--lost five pounds by cutting back and walking a mile daily--but then I got derailed ONCE and all bets were off. Can't seem to get back on track mentally OR physically.
Anyway, back to Friday. I spent way too much money on groceries and things I didn't really need. Some things for a craft project, the jeans, an insulated cup that was on clearance, etc. Also stopped by the liquor store on my way to pick Mama up from work. (Get this party started y'all. hahaha)
I had a coconut rum pie recipe I wanted to try. Ya'll, I've never bought rum before and this recipe specifically called for dark rum. I must have stood in the rum aisle for fifteen minutes trying to decide what I was supposed to get. There are, like, a GAZILLION types of rum. I finally settled on a Jamaican that boasted itself as "The Original Dark Rum." Of course it's this giant bottle because I could not find any smaller ones. I will now have dark rum on hand for the next twenty years. Also, does rum expire? :-/
While in there, I also restocked on Bailey's because I'd been out for MONTHS. And do you know that Bailey's has completely changed the style of their bottle and I almost bought some generic bottle of Irish Cream because it was still ripping off the old bottle design? Gah! Can imagine what would have happened had I gotten home and realized I'd bought the wrong thing? Utter and complete disaster. With tears. Because I'm dramatic like that. ha!
Anyway, after I got home, I ate my Friday night Totinos and then baked the coconut rum pie. That pie is...well, I may never eat regular coconut pie again. It was delicious. Found the recipe on Chickens in the Road if you're interested.
Also, NO GRIMM! *wails* But Haven showed it's lovely face on Syfy so the day was saved. haha
Gosh, am I still on Friday? Good grief.
I'll make Saturday short. I worked three hours, ate a spicy chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A, came home and passed out on the couch in front of the television. ;-D
No, seriously. That's it. Well, I started on laundry and quit after the first load went into the dryer and the second load went into the washer. They're both still there as of right now. I think I died when I come Saturday afternoon.
Sunday morning I got up a little earlier than normal because Sunday was the Thanksgiving potluck at church. I had a pie to make (because the coconut rum was missing some slices) and some Mac and cheese to experiment with.
I started out with biscuits and gravy for breakfast, though, because I'm not fat enough. Hmmm...biscuits and gravy. And I'll admit it here. I put some Bailey's in my Sunday morning coffee because Bailey's, that's why.
But then it was dishes, pie, dishes, mac and cheese (and stirring, and stirring and stirring forever) and then dishes. I sat down for MAYBE thirty minutes before I had to get up and get dressed. I hate Sunday church potlucks for two reasons: Sunday morning exhaustive cooking and socializing awkwardly.
So I ate a scoop of everything and a slice of pecan pie at the potluck. Three different dressings, some turkey, some ham, some casseroles, a roll, my mac and cheese (so not worth all that stirring, btw), sweet potatoes...well, you get the idea. I went home so stuffed I felt kinda sick, actually.
Intended on going home and parking myself there for the rest of the day but instead, I went to the folks' to take Daddy the rest of the coconut rum pie and ended up staying for nearly three hours. I got sucked in to rubbing Milo's belly. ha
When I did finally get home, I worked on a craft project and then popped Steel Magnolias into the DVD player and proceeded to spend the next two hours alternating between that and texting E. Then it was Witches of East End on Lifetime and bed.
I will admit here and now that I have not felt well for a couple of weeks now. I have fallen away from my morning Bible Study, I've taken to eating myself to death (again) and I seem to lack any energy for things that need to be done. My floors, for instance, are a nightmare. And you saw the part about the laundry right? Well, last week I pulled from the dryer all week just to be able to dress myself for work. But I seem to be baking, creating and sleeping a lot. I've baked cookies, pies and made truffles. Worked on two separate craft projects. And, as I said, slept a lot. I'm not sure what's up with me. I can't decide if I'm depressed or just lazy. I don't really feel depressed. At least no more than normal. Except for when I think about the whole no-losing-of-the-fat thing. Like right now. I feel a little bloated and miserable but otherwise I don't feel down or whatever. I just also don't quite feel myself. Perhaps it's the holidays. Or the change in seasons.
Or maybe I'm just a lazy, crazy fatso who can't get her crap together. *sigh*
Anyway, I'm off work the rest of this week. I took tomorrow and Wednesday off and the university is closed Thursday and Friday. I'll try to mobile Blog while I'm away, though, when I think about it/have something interesting to say or share.
In the meantime, thanks for "listening."
Started out Friday afternoon. I took off work early to accommodate the fact that I had to work a few hours Saturday. Since I wasn't in my own car, I was still stuck in town until Mama got off work. I spent those three hours mostly grocery shopping. I did manage to make it Hallmark for a Christmas present for BFF and Cato to quick see if I could find some new jeans. My current ones (I only had one pair that still fit) were getting worn out to the point that at someday soon I'd be showing the backside of my underwear. And nobody wants to see that. Trust me.
No luck at Catos. All toooooo long. Tell me, America. Why is that petite pants are extra long on an average height woman (5'5")? Sooooooo annoying.
I did end up finding some jeans at Wal-Mart (Faded Glory for curves) that were only an inch or so too long. An inch I can handle. Best part, they were only a little over $13. Winner winner, chicken dinner. haha Better news was, I'm not in as large a size as I thought I'd be. Color me thrilled.
I hate the thought of buying new pants because I still have the (misguided) notion that I will lose some serious weight. Truth, I think my body and my mind are just not working well right now. My body is holding tight to each pound I gained over the past year and my mind is so warped that I can't get a grip on even whole heartedly trying to lose. I did well for about three weeks--lost five pounds by cutting back and walking a mile daily--but then I got derailed ONCE and all bets were off. Can't seem to get back on track mentally OR physically.
Anyway, back to Friday. I spent way too much money on groceries and things I didn't really need. Some things for a craft project, the jeans, an insulated cup that was on clearance, etc. Also stopped by the liquor store on my way to pick Mama up from work. (Get this party started y'all. hahaha)
I had a coconut rum pie recipe I wanted to try. Ya'll, I've never bought rum before and this recipe specifically called for dark rum. I must have stood in the rum aisle for fifteen minutes trying to decide what I was supposed to get. There are, like, a GAZILLION types of rum. I finally settled on a Jamaican that boasted itself as "The Original Dark Rum." Of course it's this giant bottle because I could not find any smaller ones. I will now have dark rum on hand for the next twenty years. Also, does rum expire? :-/
While in there, I also restocked on Bailey's because I'd been out for MONTHS. And do you know that Bailey's has completely changed the style of their bottle and I almost bought some generic bottle of Irish Cream because it was still ripping off the old bottle design? Gah! Can imagine what would have happened had I gotten home and realized I'd bought the wrong thing? Utter and complete disaster. With tears. Because I'm dramatic like that. ha!
Anyway, after I got home, I ate my Friday night Totinos and then baked the coconut rum pie. That pie is...well, I may never eat regular coconut pie again. It was delicious. Found the recipe on Chickens in the Road if you're interested.
Also, NO GRIMM! *wails* But Haven showed it's lovely face on Syfy so the day was saved. haha
Gosh, am I still on Friday? Good grief.
I'll make Saturday short. I worked three hours, ate a spicy chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A, came home and passed out on the couch in front of the television. ;-D
No, seriously. That's it. Well, I started on laundry and quit after the first load went into the dryer and the second load went into the washer. They're both still there as of right now. I think I died when I come Saturday afternoon.
Sunday morning I got up a little earlier than normal because Sunday was the Thanksgiving potluck at church. I had a pie to make (because the coconut rum was missing some slices) and some Mac and cheese to experiment with.
I started out with biscuits and gravy for breakfast, though, because I'm not fat enough. Hmmm...biscuits and gravy. And I'll admit it here. I put some Bailey's in my Sunday morning coffee because Bailey's, that's why.
But then it was dishes, pie, dishes, mac and cheese (and stirring, and stirring and stirring forever) and then dishes. I sat down for MAYBE thirty minutes before I had to get up and get dressed. I hate Sunday church potlucks for two reasons: Sunday morning exhaustive cooking and socializing awkwardly.
So I ate a scoop of everything and a slice of pecan pie at the potluck. Three different dressings, some turkey, some ham, some casseroles, a roll, my mac and cheese (so not worth all that stirring, btw), sweet potatoes...well, you get the idea. I went home so stuffed I felt kinda sick, actually.
Intended on going home and parking myself there for the rest of the day but instead, I went to the folks' to take Daddy the rest of the coconut rum pie and ended up staying for nearly three hours. I got sucked in to rubbing Milo's belly. ha
When I did finally get home, I worked on a craft project and then popped Steel Magnolias into the DVD player and proceeded to spend the next two hours alternating between that and texting E. Then it was Witches of East End on Lifetime and bed.
I will admit here and now that I have not felt well for a couple of weeks now. I have fallen away from my morning Bible Study, I've taken to eating myself to death (again) and I seem to lack any energy for things that need to be done. My floors, for instance, are a nightmare. And you saw the part about the laundry right? Well, last week I pulled from the dryer all week just to be able to dress myself for work. But I seem to be baking, creating and sleeping a lot. I've baked cookies, pies and made truffles. Worked on two separate craft projects. And, as I said, slept a lot. I'm not sure what's up with me. I can't decide if I'm depressed or just lazy. I don't really feel depressed. At least no more than normal. Except for when I think about the whole no-losing-of-the-fat thing. Like right now. I feel a little bloated and miserable but otherwise I don't feel down or whatever. I just also don't quite feel myself. Perhaps it's the holidays. Or the change in seasons.
Or maybe I'm just a lazy, crazy fatso who can't get her crap together. *sigh*
Anyway, I'm off work the rest of this week. I took tomorrow and Wednesday off and the university is closed Thursday and Friday. I'll try to mobile Blog while I'm away, though, when I think about it/have something interesting to say or share.
In the meantime, thanks for "listening."
Comments
Potluck sounds like it can be both fun and stressful. Maybe you need to find some good recipes you can do up midweek and freeze for those Sunday socials. As for the coconut rum pie...I want some! I love coconut but friends...not so much. And oh--rum will last a while, so long as the bottle cap is on tight.
Sorry to hear you've fallen off the wagon as far as your healthy eating and exercise goals. You need to kick yourself in the butt and get it in gear for January!
Do you watch Dancing With the Stars? If not, you should have been watching it this season. A plus-size woman, Amber Riley from Glee, just won the mirrornall trophey tonight and she truly deserved it. She said that in the beginning, she wasn't sure she was going to make it to mid-season and was surprised at how much weight she has lost, and how much easier it is to breath. Last night she earned two perfect scores, and a perfect score for tonight's dance as well to win that trophey.
Maybe you need to suck it up and find yourself a dancercise class of some sort. I say class because I know you like to dance, and having to show up for a class or be out the money might be a good incentive. You can do this, I know you can! ☺
(((HUGS)))
I don't watch DWTS but Twitter has been abuzz with support for her. I will never take a class for many reasons, not the least of which have to with cost and distance/time. And the whole, not liking being around other people thing. Ha It I were a different person? Would be a great idea.
I will get back to eating well if it kills me. ;-)
How about some kind of dance DVD? :D